Dinner Tuesday, 1-26-2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Since I already know what we're having tonight, I figured I'd get the ball rolling early.

I'll be making cheesy cauliflower soup, and we'll use some of Sunday's ham for warmed ham-and-cheese sandwiches.

What are your plans for tonight?

I just got back from the doctor and she wants me on a low sodium diet...... So I poked around the freezer and found some chicken breasts (not organic but is not injected) I am thinking about grilling them. I have some fresh asparagus I can sauté or grill. I just need to figure out a starch.

The second pan of lasagna we froze the last time we had it and a salad.

I have a little chuck roast defrosting in the fridge. The plan is to make a pot roast in the Nesco.

It's a balmy 50 degrees here. Cloudy now, but the sun was out earlier, and it felt like spring.

Swordfish on the grill, served with a pineapple salsa, and sides of red potatoes and broc.

We are having leftovers from last night. It is a dish we got from a Gordon Ramsey cookbook.

5 hot Italian sausages skinned and cut into about 6 pieces each
1 chopped onion
1 chopped bell pepper
1 chopped tomato
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp paprika (smoked if you have it)
1 cup long grain rice
1/2 cup white wine
2 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper

Put glug of olive oil in a big skillet or saute pan. When the pan has heated add the sausage pieces, bell pepper, onion and garlic and cook until the onions are transparent and the sausage is browned. Add the rice, paprika, wine and chicken stock. Salt and pepper to taste. Mix the ingredients well, cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes until the rice is done. Remove from the heat, add the tomato, mix well and serve.

It's a balmy 50 degrees here. Cloudy now, but the sun was out earlier, and it felt like spring.

Swordfish on the grill, served with a pineapple salsa, and sides of red potatoes and broc.

Swordfish is one of my favorites. Try a cream, mustard and white wine sauce some time. Excellent pairing. I'll try a pineapple salsa next time at my end. sounds great.

Bacon, liver and onions with a side of mashed cauliflower.

Sure wish it was mashed potatoes with milk gravy instead of cauliflower!!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

We're having some roasted sweet Italian sausages with onions mushrooms and red bell peppers, topped with Trader Joe's pizza sauce. His will be on a Hogie roll, mine will not. Maybe some salad.

DH is off to Michigan to visit his parents and cook some freezer meals for his dad. His mom is still in the nursing home after suffering a stroke in November.

I don't fly north in the winter ;)

So I'm heating up more stuffed shells and will make a salad and garlic bread.

I cooked a pork tenderloin to 137F in the Sous Vide. Seared it afterward in a hot skillet and sauteed some apples, onions, fresh sage with a bit of cider vinegar and brown sugar. Steamed broccoli rounded out our meal.

Last edited:
Bacon, liver and onions with a side of mashed cauliflower.

Sure wish it was mashed potatoes with milk gravy instead of cauliflower!!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

You know you can add 1 large potato to a head of cauliflower, steam instead of boil and mash like you would potatoes (milk and/or cream, and butter) and you basically end up with a "healthier" version of mashed taters. I actually kind of prefer it because the cauliflower gives it extra flavor. I've even made "tater cakes" with leftover.

I have a little chuck roast defrosting in the fridge. The plan is to make a pot roast in the Nesco.

My gravy was perfect. The veggies were great. The chuck roast was the toughest, chewiest piece of meat I ever tried to eat. Seasoned and browned, then cooked low and slow, it was close to inedible. I even took it out, sliced it very thinly and put it back in the gravy. Didn't help.

The meat is destined to be fished out, finely minced and put in soup. Very disappointed, as it came from a store here lauded for its meats.

I went ice-fishing so I baked a trout w/ onion, garlic, tomato & spices. Yam w/ honey & broccoli.

img_1453028_0_d9db5acb08bc15895054a633f4479b9b.jpg
img_1453028_1_70524797a3473c7ecabdca8ca4e8ea96.jpg

We are having my mother's Greek meat pie (kreatopita), rice, and Greek style lima beans (cooked with scallions, dill, chopped tomatoes, and lots of olive oil).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no Dawg!! It can't hurt to ask the butcher if they stand behind their meat, our does without question. I've just taken the receipt with me when making the complaint.

That's a great looking skillet Joey. I swear the picture was taken on my counter as it's an exact match to mine!!
I love the beautiful movement of the granite.

Last edited:
A hunk of leftover vacuum sealed rare cooked rib eye from the freezer, gently warmed, thinly sliced, and topped over a loaded up salad. Ranch dressing and croutons to top.

The sausage skillet dinners sound great.

Joey, I love those cast iron serving skillets! I used to have some of those years ago, not sure whatever happened to them. I loved sizzling hot steaks right in front of me at my own table. I might have to look them up again.

GG....best wishes to your in-laws.

Everyone's dinners sounds wonderful!

Last edited:
S&P, I LOVE that skillet and it's wooden landing pad, where did you find it?

Our supper this evening is a simple fare,

sauteed Brussel Sprouts, that I deconstruct, in some
BACON fat that I have in reserve in the`fridge at all times,
along with some minced garlic

steamed Greens Beans that were tossed with yet more
BACON fat and some granulated garlic

a small baked Yukon Gold Potato for DH, not me, I'm still
on that dang diet, I mean different way of looking at food,
dang it!

broiled (because I STILL do not have a grill)
b/s Chicken Thighs that have been seasoned
with Cavender's Salt Free All Purpose Greek Seasoning

007.JPG
this is DH's plate, mine is MUCH smaller
I chop up all meats that I cook, this way
it looks like you're having more food than
you really are... I also weigh everything,
can you believe that this is on 5 ounces of Chicken?

MMM!

Back
Top Bottom