Dinner Tuesday 13th November

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love smoked salmon :yum:

The supermarket I buy from flash freeze all there fresh fish the day it was caught. Doesn't that mean it would be good for sushi or sashimi?

The fish is always very fresh and I've never gotten ill from eating it raw.
I think the fresh fish they sell might be more of a risk since it's not eaten the same day.

I love sashimi but I do prefer cold smoked since the flavour is better. That being said I still prefer carpaccio over sashimi.
I'm a born carnivore :LOL:

If God hadn't wanted us to eat animals He wouldn't have made them taste so good! ;)

ZOMG! I started reading this topic and I resupplied smoked salmon today, so I got out my salmon stash and chopped about 3/4 oz. (20 g.) into bite sized pieces and added it to my appetizer plate. I had been snacking on a new cheese I've just discovered, Chavrie goat's milk cheese with basil and roasted garlic, and wheat crackers from WFM. This is the best GM cheese I've ever had! And adding the salmon to the mix really got my eyes rolling like a Las Vegas slot machine! :D

I got both the salmon and the cheese from our new market in town, Super King (5 locations in Los Angeles). I just hope their game plan isn't to hook us on really good, extremely well priced, international selection of foods, and then double the prices.

So I'm snacking on GM cheese, lox, and wheat crackers, along with a delightful Sauvignon Blanc, vintage probably about 3 weeks ago, Trader Joe's "Two Buck Chuck" (Charles Shaw Winery, $1.99/750ml.) I've recently bought some of my more pricey favorites and Chuck beats them all!

According to the research that I have done with Google, industrially frozen fish is safe from parasites after about 24 hours of freezing (colder temperatures - parasites dead quicker). Should be safe after freezing in a home freezer at -18 C (0 F) after a week.

I make gravad laks with salmon that has been deep frozen. I won't say I never got a parasite, because, how would I know?

That supports my own Internet research, and IMO your nose knows, so you probably won't eat spoiled sashimi. If it smells fresh your only problem will be parasites. Well okay there may be contaminants depending on the locale the fish was caught or raised. I often eat fish and shrimp caught/farmed in Asia and I ain't dead yet. That could change at any moment, but at least I enjoyed living and really enjoyed eating!

My advice to sashimi and sushi lovers, find a source of QF salmon (etc.) that you can buy still frozen in slabs. My typical purchase is a QF cryovac package with about 12 oz. (a third of a Kg) for around $12-$14. That serves two in any combination of sashimi and sushi.

When I'm eating alone I take the brick out of the fridge and use my Henckels 6" cleaver and Home Depot rubber mallet and just whack that SOB in half! Then I carefully package the part I'm not eating and let it live or die for another day.

Back
Top Bottom