"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2021, 07:39 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Dinner Tuesday, July 20, 2021

It was pretty warm and humid today, so I made dinner salads. Or more like all-day salads. LOL! They really don't have more than when I make them in a bowl, they're just all spread out. I like seeing all those pretty stripes of color.

What was your supper tonight?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210720_202409992.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	47859
"The essence of America - that which really unites us - is not ethnicity, or nationality or religion - it is an an idea - and what an idea it is: That you can come from humble circumstances and do great things. That it doesn't matter where you came from but where you are going."~ Condoleezza Rice
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:06 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I didn't have much energy and we had a grocery delivery expected for not long after supper, so I wanted something easy. I was going to serve smoked salmon with bagels and stuff. But, I couldn't find the smoked salmon in our overstuffed freezer. I did find the frozen, breaded haddock, so ...

Supper was easy to put together and tasty. I baked some frozen, breaded haddock and some frozen "fries'. I made a salad of curly red lettuce, napa cabbage, thinly sliced red onion, chopped radishes, and the homemade vinaigrette. There was malt vinegar to go with the fries and slices of lemon to go with the fish.

My plate:

Name:	Breaded Hadock and salad, Linda's plate.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	47860

Stirling's first serving:

Name:	Breaded Hadock and salad, Stirling's plate.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	47861
Old 07-20-2021, 08:25 PM   #3
Certified/Certifiable

Tonight was an old favorite, pita pockets with sirloin cooked medium rare, and cut thinly against the grain, with fresh mung bean sprouts, sliced haas avocado, sliced, ripe Campari tomatoes, and shredded iceberg lettuce, with mayo, and A1 sauce. Everyone enjoyed them, but I can't have the avocado (heavy sigh). It was almost as good without the avocado. Ice cold rice dream for my beverage, moderately cold pink lemonade for everyone else. Introducing meals never before eaten by my grandkids. They tell me that I'm spoiling them. Me, I'm just cooking the way I always have.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:30 PM   #4
Certified/Certifiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I didn't have much energy and we had a grocery delivery expected for not long after supper, so I wanted something easy. I was going to serve smoked salmon with bagels and stuff. But, I couldn't find the smoked salmon in our overstuffed freezer. I did find the frozen, breaded haddock, so ...

Supper was easy to put together and tasty. I baked some frozen, breaded haddock and some frozen "fries'. I made a salad of curly red lettuce, napa cabbage, thinly sliced red onion, chopped radishes, and the homemade vinaigrette. There was malt vinegar to go with the fries and slices of lemon to go with the fish.

My plate:

Attachment 47860

Stirling's first serving:

Attachment 47861
Growing up on the U.S./Canada border, I am no stranger to malt vinager and fries. My mother introduced me to this at a young age. I wonder how many of our members have tried it. It's yummy.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:03 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Harvested our first cucumber and cutting of basil. Also Sakura cherry tomatoes. With fresh cilengine mozzarella and balsamic reduction it adds up to a caprese salad.

With a heated baguette, butter, and a glass of Airlie Seven white blend.

Bitser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:24 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Growing up on the U.S./Canada border, I am no stranger to malt vinager and fries. My mother introduced me to this at a young age. I wonder how many of our members have tried it. It's yummy.

Growing up and living in Ohio my first 49 years, I've used malt vinegar for nearly all my life. It's also wonderful on fried fish, in vinaigrette, and many other foods that call for "vinegar".
"The essence of America - that which really unites us - is not ethnicity, or nationality or religion - it is an an idea - and what an idea it is: That you can come from humble circumstances and do great things. That it doesn't matter where you came from but where you are going."~ Condoleezza Rice
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:38 AM   #7
Head Chef

I think I had a salad - I can't remember ATM. Not enough coffee in my system yet.

Tags
dinner