Dinner Tuesday, Sept. 25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Hi, all. Seafood is on the menu for us tonight - my Tuesday night dinner group is heading to Virginia Beach for some boating and a stop at a seafood restaurant, dinner served on the boat. Can't wait :)

What's cookin' at your house tonight?

Baked pork chops and roasted potatoes, with grape tomatoes, scallions, and mushroom roasted with the potatoes.

katie those stuffed shells sound awesome!

I'm having a salad w/carmalized shallots, cherry tomatoes and carrots, some leftover rice - It's a biryani recipe (indian rice made with veggies, cinnamon, raisins, cashews, lots of other goodies), and a side of zucchini. Right after I get back from the gym......

Cheese-stuffed jumbo shells with tomato sauce and side of green beans. At least this casserole fits in my toaster oven.
Katie, I'm embarrassed to ask but are they the frozen stuffed shells? That's what we have regularly and they taste great to us. But since I've never made any "from scratch", maybe we're really missing something.

Salad greens with sweet corn topped with Chipotle chicken strips seared in EVOO topped with buttermilk ranch dressing and a side of cream of broccoli and cheddar soup.

Katie E, have you ever posted the recipe for making them here? I don't think I've ever seen the jumbo shells at the grocery store. Oh crap - do you make the pasta shells from scratch, too???? (You're my hero, you know!)

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever posted a recipe for stuffed jumbo shells. I have several ways I prepare them. Tonight I'm going to stuff the shells with ricotta, Parmesan, chopped spinach, onions, nutmeg, garlic, and an egg. I'll boil the shells until al dente, stuff them and put them in a casserole that has some marinara sauce in the bottom of the pan. Spoon a little more sauce over and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake until hot and cheese melts.

Yes, the shells can be found in the pasta section of the market. I don't make pasta shells, but I do make a lot of our pasta. I especially like spinach linguine.

Ah, shucks, ma'am. Your hero. I'm honored.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever posted a recipe for stuffed jumbo shells. I have several ways I prepare them. Tonight I'm going to stuff the shells with ricotta, Parmesan, chopped spinach, onions, nutmeg, garlic, and an egg. I'll boil the shells until al dente, stuff them and put them in a casserole that has some marinara sauce in the bottom of the pan. Spoon a little more sauce over and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake until hot and cheese melts.

Yes, the shells can be found in the pasta section of the market. I don't make pasta shells, but I do make a lot of our pasta. I especially like spinach linguine.

Ah, shucks, m'aam. Your hero. I'm honored.
OK, this might be attainable for me. It sounds like the same kind of stuffing that is in the frozen ones (although I'm sure 1000 times better) and that's the way I bake them, except for longer since they're frozen. Is the egg raw and mixed in as a binder or cooked and chopped up? Sorry to be asking such basic questions.:blush:

I did stuffed rigatoni with a vodka sauce not to long ago. Good lord what was I thinking?!?!?!?! That is a PAIN to do. I didn’t have a piping bag, and I figured the Ziploc bag trick wouldn’t work for such a labor intensive job, so I modified a turkey injector. I’ve got 4 or more laying around, so one of them took one for the team. I cut the spout of and made a 1/4 inch hole in the end cap and used it to stuff the rigatoni.

At first, I had some spurts and splashes and a few shots to the face! But I got used to the modified tool and soon it worked pretty well, but man that was a LOT of work. A piping bag would help a whole lot with this…….and even though it was a great dish, I don’t know that I’ll ever do it again! I hope stuffing jumbo shells is easier! :D

OK, this might be attainable for me. It sounds like the same kind of stuffing that is in the frozen ones (although I'm sure 1000 times better) and that's the way I bake them, except for longer since they're frozen. Is the egg raw and mixed in as a binder or cooked and chopped up? Sorry to be asking such basic questions.:blush:

No, the egg is raw and, as you mentioned, used as a binder.

quick ham...potatoe...and corn casserole in the crock pot. just cut up and cubed potatoes...already cooked ham....corn and cheesy brocoli soup.

Made a veal stew for the family with baby yukons, sweet peas, baby carotts, celery,onions,garlic, artichoke hearts, white zucchini, and sweet red bells and mushrooms. Home made french bread,green salad with apple slices,toasted walnuts and some gorgonzola crumbles..Me, toast and tea, no appy at all, injections did me in this week..YUK
did make some baked apples for the gang that smell so good.:LOL:
kadesma

Last night I served fresh (as in Buitoni fresh - lol) whole-wheat tortellini tossed with a tomato cream-cheese sauce. Fast & delicious.

Back
Top Bottom