Dinner Wed 9/13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
I have no idea what I'll be having. My boys and I went out of town for 5 days then we came back to a hungry dh and an empty fridge. :rolleyes: Since dh is working today, I had planned to go into town to get groceries but both the kids came down with a cold yesterday. :(

I do have some goat cheese. Any ideas?

What are the rest of you having today? :cool:

Cleaning out a fridge AGAIN! We are both going back to UK Tomorrow, then husband will move into our permanant base in Italy on Monday. I haven't cooked here but we have LOADS of salad and a melon. So thats what it is. The pizza place next door does a margerita for 3euros so might have one of those as we have no bread or anything.

Do you have pasta and some fresh tmato and olives? You could make a nice pasta with a crumbley goats cheese, or a rustic pizza?

Not sure yet, like to make some chicken noodle soup - but no carrots-- grrr. Might be just burgers on the grill, and french fries - (if rain stops). :whistling

Sheila's got a bowling league tonight, so it'll probably be one of my favorite meals - BEER AND PIZZA!!!!! :mrgreen:

But, what beer? And what to have on the pizza? :ohmy: Decsions, decisions...

John

Mexican or Italian lasagna? Don't know which yet but have some sirloin tip in the fridge that I will ground up and add to the lasagna. Now that I think about it, it'll have to be Italian since I only have mozzarella.

lulu said:
The pizza place next door does a margerita for 3euros so might have one of those as we have no bread or anything.
lulu said:
Do you have pasta and some fresh tmato and olives? You could make a nice pasta with a crumbley goats cheese, or a rustic pizza?

lulu, do you mind just buying a couple of PM's and send me some across the great pond:ROFLMAO:

dinner tonight is easy. it's the leftovers from the last two nights as my frig is overflowing. last night special meal for hubby's birthday was really nice. those recipes from Sunset were worth every bit of effort and the dinner from Jacks Famous bbq on his official birthday, is still hanging around too, so between the two, we have plenty. but now you've got me thinking as I have goat cheese, tons of yard tomatoes and I collect olives of all sorts in my "kitchen store" aka pantry:-p

^^^^^^^^^^Sunset Magazine^^^^^^^^^

Cider brined pork chops with sauteed apples
Grilled chipotle chicken quesadillas
Chanterelle potato salad with pancetta, shallots, thyme
Ginger rosemary lemon drop cocktails
Israeli couscous with fresh peas and mint
Baby green beans with lemon, garlic and bacon
Garlic bread
Lemon tube cake with lemon pudding cream inside

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That was dinner last night.

Last edited:
lulu said:
Nope, we don't have either. I think the only reason there's goat cheese in the fridge is because dh doesn't like it. :LOL: There is a tiny grocery store up the road and they usually have mushrooms, if not much else. I'd really like some spinach and pears too but that is wishful thinking. I think it will be pasta tonight.

Today our dog, Seijo, is having her 5th birthday. I only just realized. Poor girl, she get to spend an unhappy day at home with 2 sick kids. She did go on a great hike with dh on Mon though, maybe that counts.

ronjohn55 said:
Sheila's got a bowling league tonight, so it'll probably be one of my favorite meals - BEER AND PIZZA!!!!! :mrgreen:

But, what beer? And what to have on the pizza? :ohmy: Decsions, decisions...

John
Pizza tonno and jupiler lager :chef:

I'm alone too tonight.:(
I'm still trying to decide if I'll be having pizza or meatballs and green beans in tomato sauce :ermm:

i set out some thin pork chops this morning not sure yet
what i am going to do with them. what do you think?

We had Sauteed Pork Chops with White Wine Pan Sauce last night and they were awesome. My husband gobbled them up. I served a side of Parmesan-garlic orecchiette pasta on the side. It was so good he said it was more like a Sunday dinner meal than a week night meal. Here's the recipe if you're interested.

SAUTÉED PORK CHOPS WITH WHITE WINE PAN SAUCE
(Serves 4)​
4 (1-in. thick) center loin or
center rib pork chops, patted
dry with paper towels
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
¼ cup minced shallots
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup dry white wine or ¼ cup dry
vermouth
½ cup chicken stock or low-sodium
canned broth
2 to 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut
into pieces and softened
1 small wedge lemon

Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 10- to 12-inch skillet over a strong medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl skillet occasionally until fat turns nut brown and just begins to smoke.
Lay pork shops in skillet, bony side facing toward center of skillet; sauté until browned on one side, about 1 minute. Turn chops with tongs and sauté until browned on other side, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook chops 4 minutes. Turn chops; cover and cook until firm but not hard when pressed with a finger, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer chops to a plate; set aside in a warm spot while preparing sauce.
Spoon all but 1 tablespoon of the fat from the skillet. Add shallots; sauté until softened, about 1 minute. Add garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine; boil until reduced by half, about 1 minute, scraping skillet with wooden spoon to dislodge browned bits. Pour in stock and accumulated juices from around chops; boil to a thin syrupy texture (about ½ cup), 2 to 3 minutes. Off heat, scatter butter pieces over sauce; swirl skillet until butter melts and sauce thickens slightly. Squeeze a few drops of lemon juice over sauce and swirl in. Adjust seasonings. Spoon over chops and serve.

I used boneless pork loin chops and cooked them a little less. Yummy!

Katie

I try to plan one meatless meal about once a week, so that's what's on the menu tonight. Sometimes it takes a little creativity to go the meatless route when one's husband is a meat-and-potatoes kind of diner. However, he's been a real trooper and has rarely complained about our meatless fare. Here's what we're having tonight. I made a batch of homemade hamburger buns last week and put them in the freezer, so the buns are thawed and ready for tonight.

This sounds delicious to me and with the tomatoes still nice and fresh, I'm looking forward to having dinner tonight.

Katie

Last edited by a moderator:
corazon90 said:
Nope, we don't have either. I think the only reason there's goat cheese in the fridge is because dh doesn't like it. :LOL: There is a tiny grocery store up the road and they usually have mushrooms, if not much else. I'd really like some spinach and pears too but that is wishful thinking. I think it will be pasta

Hey corazon, do you have flour/egg/milk/salt/sugar/butter/can of tuna or salmon or chicken? If so, why not use your goat cheese in a crepe along with the other items mentioned for use in there too. I think a goat cheese with mushroom and one of the canned meats mentioned in a base of a cream mixture or even a soup mix rolled up in a crepe or two would be lovely. Just a thought. I love making crepes, the process is very calming to me:huh:
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Katie E said:
I try to plan one meatless meal about once a week, so that's what's on the menu tonight. Sometimes it takes a little creativity to go the meatless route when one's husband is a meat-and-potatoes kind of diner. However, he's been a real trooper and has rarely complained about our meatless fare. Here's what we're having tonight. I made a batch of homemade hamburger buns last week and put them in the freezer, so the buns are thawed and ready for tonight Katie
``````````````````````````````````````````````
That's interesting that you brought up the meatless idea as I watched Giada DL yesterday and she made a meatless meatloaf of lentils and rice and veggies and cheeses and when she sliced it, I thought "I need to make that someday, I'd love it but not sure about the hubby."

Last edited:
Oooh, good idea. I think it would be lovely with out the fish or meat too. I love goats cheese sandwich, with artisan bread, goats cheese figs (but I also use apples, grapes what ever other compatble fruit I have to hand) and honey. But I am guessing you have no fresh bread or fruit, lol.

The crepes are a briliant idea.

Katie E said:
I try to plan one meatless meal about once a week, so that's what's on the menu tonight. Sometimes it takes a little creativity to go the meatless route when one's husband is a meat-and-potatoes kind of diner. However, he's been a real trooper and has rarely complained about our meatless fare. Here's what we're having tonight. I made a batch of homemade hamburger buns last week and put them in the freezer, so the buns are thawed and ready for tonight.

BALSAMIC-BLUE CHEESE PORTOBELLO BURGERS

This sounds delicious to me and with the tomatoes still nice and fresh, I'm looking forward to having dinner tonight.

Katie
Sounds really good, never had Bella's in a bun ! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm off to work tonight so the family will be eating crockpot chili for dinner. No idea what I will be served. I'm trying to decide if I feel like baking something before I go. Its overcast and raining off and on today. Cold and nasty.

It's our first play of the year. So... I'll grab a sandwich or something and Paul will stop at the Microsoft cafe and pick something up before we meet for our date.

I'm making a boneless pork roast (maybe spread some dijon on top of it and/or some thinly sliced orange), red new potatoes with butter and fresh parsley, and some other veggie.

Tacos with Fresh Homemade Salsa and Guacomole. And along side it Black Bean Salsa.

Kadesma had posted a recipe for the Black Bean Salad or Salsa some time back. I couldn't remember the exact ingredients when I went to the store today but had a general idea. Sure enough I forgot the green onions. I ended up adding red onion vs. green onion plus these things .... S & P, Jalapeno (minced) and fresh lime juice and an extra clove of garlic. It turned out really good......thanks for the base recipe Kads!

It's supposed to be beef fajitas and sweet potato fries BUT, Jimmy went on a bike ride with his friends it's getting close to the "kitchen closing" time!

Back
Top Bottom