Dinner Wed. Dec. 20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy, you start early, Barb!:) I'm not sure yet but I'm thinking I'm not going to much trouble. DH has his work luncheon today and I doubt he'll be very hungry tonight. I may just convert what's left of Monday's meatloaf into meat for spaghetti sauce and have some pasta.

In trying to prepare my fridge for all the holiday goodies, I've been sorting it out this morning. I have made a pot of taco soup and it already tastes delicious, even if it is a bit peppy for 9:00 am. I may make some cornbread to go with it, or just have chips and a salad - can't tell for now. It depends on how the rest of the day goes. I didn't go to the gym today so I could be here alone while dh is golfing. Still much to do!

Cookie making day - which means easy meal. I will be starting a pot of beef barley soup later this am - cook all day --- maybe make a loaf of bread. Dessert will be cookies, yum!

PA Baker said:
Boy, you start early, Barb!:) I'm not sure yet but I'm thinking I'm not going to much trouble. DH has his work luncheon today and I doubt he'll be very hungry tonight. I may just convert what's left of Monday's meatloaf into meat for spaghetti sauce and have some pasta.

Good idea PABaker, I've done that many times. The kids don't like meatloaf or stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage but they love tacos and funny thing is, when I turn meatloaf into tacos, they amazingly disappear:-p

Michelemarie said:
Cookie making day - which means easy meal. I will be starting a pot of beef barley soup later this am - cook all day --- maybe make a loaf of bread. Dessert will be cookies, yum!
Oh I love beef and barley soup. How do you do yours MicheleMarie, and hoping you're feeling just ''purr''fect today, winking you...........get it:) Would you mind sharing your recipe? Oh I guess that'd have to be on a recipe page as not supposed to do that here. Hints please, I have steaks galore in the freezer and barley in the pantry.

I'll wait to hear, otherwise, I'll get in the freezer and see what looks good to me. It's cookie baking day for me to MicheleMarie, wish I lived closer to you, we could do it together.:ROFLMAO:

So far, this Beef Barley Soup - Chowhound= looks like the one/s I'll use.

Last edited:
I just finished my sauce for Penne Alla Vodka. The stuff is amazing. I have a bagged Ceasar to go with and possibly will make some bread.

* Exported from TheRecipeManager *

Penne Alla Vodka

Source: Recipe By :Keith Young
Category: Entree
Type: Pasta

Qty Measure Ingredient
------------------------------------------------------------
1/4 pound Bacon -- diced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic -- peeled and halved
1 medium onion -- diced
1/2 cup vodka
56 ounces whole tomatoes -- canned
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
salt
1 cup heavy cream
32 ounces penne pasta
24 each fresh basil leaves -- chopped
1 1/2 cups Romano cheese -- freshly grated

Instructions: Boil water for pasta

In a large saute pan, cook bacon over medium high heat until almost crisp. Remove and set aside.

Add olive oil to pan with bacon grease. When hot, return the bacon and add the garlic. Saute until garlic is golden brown.

Add onion and saute until it becomes translucent, about 5 minutes

Add the vodka and let it reduce by half, then add the tomatoes, red pepper, and salt.

Simmer the sauce, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Begin to cook pasta

Add heavy cream to sauce and simmer another 10 minutes.

Remove sauce from heat and add the basil and cheese. Stir well.

Drain pasta and shock in cold water, and return to pot.

Pour the sauce over the pasta and mix gently until the pasta is coated completely.

I made a makeshift experimental sweet&sour pork dish yesterday, it came out surprisingly impressive... only problem is that I made way too much so we are having the encore of that again tonight... well, not really a problem, that dish came out to be a real keeper!

For those who are interested, this is what I did... we had a ripe fresh pineapple, and some pork mince in the fridge, then suddenly inspired with the idea of a "sweet and sour pork". We looked around for a recipe but none of them hit exactly the right button for us, so I just decided to wing it. I am not very experienced with Chinese cooking so tried to keep it on the simple side.

-500g lean pork mince
-1 large onion, diced
-2 med. carrots, sliced very thin
-1 large bell pepper, diced
-2 large garlic cloves
-1tsp. circa of powdered ginger
-1tbsp. circa of oyster sauce
-1 sprig of green onion, chopped
-1/2 of ripe fresh pineapple, cored, peeled and chopped
-1tsp circa of maizena(corn flour)
-1tsp circa of brown sugar
-about 3tbsp/50cc of water

Sautè the pork, onion, carrots, bell pepper and garlic in a large wok or skillet on high heat, with ginger and oyster sauce.
When they are thoroughly cooked, add pineapple and green onion, let it cook for another 5min. or so.
When they are fully cooked, mix maizena and sugar in a water, pour into the wok. Mix well and continue to cook for another couple of minutes, or the liquid thickens.

Serve over piping hot basmati rice.

I have a pot roast in the crock, will make mashed potatoes, peas and gravy to go with it.

I'm not sure. I have leftover spagetti that I may throw into a baking dish and top with shredded italian cheeses and bake it. But then again I'm not sure. Our youngest came home early from school today sick.........poops and upset tummy.....poor lil guy. He's sprawled out on the couch watching t.v. now. We may just order out and I'll just see if he feels he can tolerate some sprite, soup, or something else light.

LEFSElover said:
Good idea PABaker, I've done that many times. The kids don't like meatloaf or stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage but they love tacos and funny thing is, when I turn meatloaf into tacos, they amazingly disappear:-p

Oh I love beef and barley soup. How do you do yours MicheleMarie, and hoping you're feeling just ''purr''fect today, winking you...........get it:) Would you mind sharing your recipe? Oh I guess that'd have to be on a recipe page as not supposed to do that here. Hints please, I have steaks galore in the freezer and barley in the pantry.

I'll wait to hear, otherwise, I'll get in the freezer and see what looks good to me. It's cookie baking day for me to MicheleMarie, wish I lived closer to you, we could do it together.:ROFLMAO:

So far, this Beef Barley Soup - Chowhound= looks like the one/s I'll use.

That sounds good! Mine is fairly simple - passed from Gram to mom to me. I start with a pot roast in water, boil, remove scum. Turn to simmer, add some beef bouillon, a large can of tomato soup and a large can of tomato sauce and a whole onion, salt and pepper. Simmer for a bit. Then I add chopped celery and carrots and all the celery tops. Keep simmering. When I remove the meat I add the barley and turn the heat up a bit. After meat cools a bit I shred and/or cut-however it works out. This soup can be done quickly or simmer all day - either way, it is delicious. It started raining here about an hour ago-soup sounds good and smells good too. This isn't really a recipe, just a hand-me-down way of doing it. I hope you try it!

HH and daughter are out Christmas shopping. I had too much lasagna for lunch, so I'm not hungry. Good thing I stocked up on Progresso clam chowder when it was on sale so there's something for when they get back.

Trying not to think about the eggnog ice cream in the freezer.

I finished up my Christmas shopping today. I was going to have a grilled steak with mushrooms and mashed potatoes and gravy. But I was too tired after two days of shopping. Instead of the steak I had grilled hot links on whole wheat roll with onion, mayo, and mustard. I doctored up some store bought macaroni salad with green onions, olives, and celery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom