Dinner Wednesday 27th February

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She must have put me on her ignore list :rolleyes:
I've heard of rump roast, but haven't seen it in a long time. Unless they are calling it something else these days. Schnitzel is supposed to be pounded 1/4" thick. I'd probably have to buy a whole roast and slice it thin myself.

The chicken fried steak recipe I use uses cube steak. Do you think that's what Kylie uses (or anyone who makes beef schnitzel)?
That's simply round steak that's been run through a tenderizer a couple times, isn't it? I think so...

And I know veal schnitzel is supposed to be pretty popular. Not sure about in AUS though.

The mystery continues...

Pac, you would never go on my ignore list...actually I dont have anyone on it :)

Pac, here I am :)

The beef schnitzel question...you asked that same question about 2 months ago :LOL:

It is the topside cut I think :)

Did I?
Maybe I had a hard time getting an answer then, too :LOL:

Topside, also known as top round. Thanks :)

Some butchers differ though with their schnitzels...some use veal which is very nice too...the ones we buy say it is veal but it looks and tastes like beef, so I am a bit unsure, but the main one I know of is the topside or veal steaks, cut quite thinly :)

Kylie has a wall? No idea what you mean. Bumping should do, though I've seen she's posted since I first asked.
She should certainly be paying attention to a thread she started... shouldn't she? :rolleyes:

I only went to Page 2 on this thread yesterday as we were flat out busy and I didn't have much time...that is how I must have missed your post Pac...all solved now :)

Some butchers differ though with their schnitzels...some use veal which is very nice too...the ones we buy say it is veal but it looks and tastes like beef, so I am a bit unsure, but the main one I know of is the topside or veal steaks, cut quite thinly :)

So like GG researched, you buy cuts specifically for schnitzel.
In my locale I'd have to make my own. Although basically our country fried steak is your beef schnitzel made from cube steak and with gravy on it. For all the Germans in my area, it's funny "schnitzel" isn't offered in any restaurants or a more popular home cooked meal. It goes by other names. Maybe it's a WWII thing. Like changing the name of the American Spitz dog to American Eskimo dog.

oops, I meant Eskimo Spitz.

Last edited:
In other states in Oz, the schnitzel is not as common...I think it is because a lot of Germans settled here in South Australia, particularly a country town called Hahndorf, maybe that is why the schnitzel is so popular here

Back
Top Bottom