Do you like to watch cooking shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
I use to like to watch Justin Wilson,but he is passed away now,
are there any good cooking shows out there? just was wondering?

I watch Food TV a lot. I like Paula, too...everything she cooks looks good. But I've learned something from most all the cooks. Even though I don't care for his personality, Mario Batali has probably taught me the most about Italian food. Sandra Lee and Ina Garten have some good tips for entertaining, as does Michael Chiorello. His Napa Valley style of cooking is very interesting. Tyler Florence does some good cooking too, but he's so cute, I'd watch him make oatmeal.
And I love Emeril. Any recipe of his that I've tried has been good. But it's his enthusiasm and personality that I enjoy most. I saw one special where he was joined by Paula Dean...that one was a blast!

I love Paula Deen. I also like watching the Good Eats/Unwrapped block, as well as The Secret Life Of.... I tend to have it on in the kitchen. Giada DeLaurentis is OK, but Rachel Ray is all that. I'm usually occupied from 6 to 8 in the kitchen when I get home from work, cooking and watching my faves.

My fave Emeril show was the one with Julia Child. She was a hoot, as is expected of a 6'2" giant of a woman with a finely honed sense of humor. I actually usually prefer his non-live show (Essence) as opposed to him hamming it up for the audience, though.

I can't get into Sandra Lee at all.

And I agree. To me, Mario Batali's personality is dry and boring, though he does teach quite a bit. I kind of feel the same way about Bobby Flay. He just comes off as having a superiority complex, though he has some *great* shows.

Paula Dean rocks.
I also really like Ina. They seem like "real" people.

I like the food the R. Ray cooks, it all looks yummy... but her energy level
is just a little high for me. Paul really really likes watching her though so she's on a lot around here.

I like the old baking with Julia shows that are aired from time to time on PBS and also Jacques Pepin and Yang can cook.

I loved their techniques and everything they had to teach. I can say I got my love for cooking by following them. You barely get to see them now expect for reruns (julia understandbly but others not sure why)

On Food Network I like Tyler, Alton and Barefoot Contessa. My favorite show hands down is Iron Chef America since cooking is as creative process and being a type A personality :) I love to see what amazing results take place when creativity marries time crunch and pressure.

I think the shows on PBS are better.

Lidia. Rick Bayless. Ming. Jacques. Julia. Mary Ann Esposito. America's Test Kitchen. Johnson and Wales. Everyday Food.

Everyday Food is the TV show from the Martha mag. Its fantastic -- a less glitzy 30Min Meals.

I do like cooking shows, but I tend to like the ones that deal with culture and technique as much as recipes. So various episodes from many favorite hosts and chefs are faves. But just getting a quick fix recipe for another meal in minutes does not interest me much. I can read a cookbook for that in much less time.

If you get BBC America, a good one to look out for is Ready, Steady, Cook. Like that one. Jamie Oliver is also quite a brilliant lad, I think, and cooks the whole foods that we like to eat.

That Emril character on US food network is a shame to cooks around the world imho. The guy needs to decide if he's going to be an actor (and a poor one at that) or a chef (again, a poor one at that). He made so many mistakes the few times I saw him that I almost felt sorry for the guy making such a you-know-what of himself. I liked Sara Moulton and that french chef, Fredrique quite a lot. Also enjoyed the ethnic show with the Indian woman, the two women who cooked southwestern/spanish and that woman that's this Iron Chef now, Cora something or other.

I LOVE Ready Steady Cook, but no longer get BBC. Food Network had a variation on it -- Ready Set Cook, which was ok until people kept bringing in impossible ingredients, like octopus, rhubarb and molasses cookies.

Emeril is not at all a bad chef, but his showmanship does get in the way -- in a major way, IMO.

I think you refer to The Two Hot Tamales -- Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Fenigar who were fantastic cooks with a great show.

And Cat Cora and the Indian lady were on Melting Pot, which was, IMO, one of their best shows.

Sara Moulton is also a terrifically accomplished chef who was a great teacher.

FTV, IMO, has taken a turn for the worse by pulling some of the best shows (see all of the above but emeril) about food and cooking and replacing them with pith. It is telling when they tout Saturdays as "FOOD NETWORK IN THE KITCHEN" as though they are reserving a special day to broadcast shows about actual cooking. SOme of the shows demonstrate a disrespect for food and cooking that has turned me off completely. I hardly watch it anymore.

jennyema said:
I LOVE Ready Steady Cook, but no longer get BBC. Food Network had a variation on it -- Ready Set Cook, which was ok until people kept bringing in impossible ingredients, like octopus, rhubarb and molasses cookies.

Emeril is not at all a bad chef, but his showmanship does get in the way -- in a major way, IMO.

I think you refer to The Two Hot Tamales -- Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Fenigar who were fantastic cooks with a great show.

And Cat Cora and the Indian lady were on Melting Pot, which was, IMO, one of their best shows.

Sara Moulton is also a terrifically accomplished chef who was a great teacher.

FTV, IMO, has taken a turn for the worse by pulling some of the best shows (see all of the above but emeril) about food and cooking and replacing them with pith. It is telling when they tout Saturdays as "FOOD NETWORK IN THE KITCHEN" as though they are reserving a special day to broadcast shows about actual cooking. SOme of the shows demonstrate a disrespect for food and cooking that has turned me off completely. I hardly watch it anymore.

Well said, Jen. I agree with your assessment.

i pretty much love any show on cooking network - my favorites have to be Paula Dean, Emeril, Mario Batali, Sandra Lee, Ina Garten, Michael Chiorello, Rachel Ray and Alton Brown - when he doesn't bore me too much. Unfortunately, the Iron Chef show gets on my nerves! Maybe it is the type of food they cook, I know I will never cook with the ingredients they pick (nor would I ever eat it!)

I have heard some interesting comments on PBS shows, I haven't watched any but may start soon.

FWIW = For What It's Worth.

No apology necessary. There's a reason my wife calls me Ed (as in editor). I'm hopelessly pedantic about a lot of things.:-p

Good for them because they were a hair away from belly up as it was.

But they have lost a lot of viewers like me who know how to cook, like to learn and don't want to watch a performance or a reality show (though I did watch that New Chef (Dan and Steve show).

Veloholic, thanks for reminding me about BBC. I don't get BBC at home but I love the link I have to their site that have some great recipes.

I forgot about Jamie Oliver. I really enjoyed his recipes and tried some of them as well.

For the Indian gal - her name is Padma Laxmi and although she was charming she is a model/actress and not a culinary expert by any means. She is married to Salman Rushdie the controversial novelist and resides in U.K.

I like Julie Sahai and her books although I have not seen her on many cooking shows except epicurious which airs on the Travel Channel.

Back
Top Bottom