Do you reinvent leftovers? Is your family on to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Was wondering if I'm the only one that tries to disguise leftovers. Please, post your examples of what you do or have done regarding making something 'old' something 'new'.

Last edited:
I don't try to disguise anything but will use it for a base for something different. If there is leftover spaghetti sauce, I'll make pizza burgers or chicken parmesan. Will add ham or canned chicken, tuna to noodles or rice left overs. Spices vary depending on what mood I'm in. Lately I've been very spicy!

Leftover baked chicken becomes chicken a la king or bbq/wine chicken. Grilled ribs become baked ribs in bbq sauce with grilled onions and bell peppers. Add some rice and throw in a green salad and dinner is served.

I love reinventing leftovers. My husband comes home from lunch when he's not out fishing so I often make paninis from last nights dinner. The grilled or sauteed veggies are great with or without meat/poultry/fish.

I also like to put leftover veggies in couscous or salads or scrambled eggs.

I always serve my salad dressings on the side so I can use the leftover salad for my lunch the next day.

Chili is great on burgers or homemade tortilla chips.

I also like to throw a couple cookies or brownies from a batch in the freezer just in case we have guests unexpectedly (which happens quite often). I will pull them out, quickly warm in microwave & serve with a raspberry sauce or chocolate sauce, etc.

We have a few friends who refuse to eat leftovers. Which I think is silly, I think some things taste better the next day! If I am using some leftovers, I just don't tell them. :ohmy:

Clienta said:
I love reinventing leftovers.
We have a few friends who refuse to eat leftovers. Which I think is silly, I think some things taste better the next day! If I am using some leftovers, I just don't tell them. :ohmy:
Our DK's don't like leftovers, any of them.
They often tease me for making too little for dinner.
I told them last weekend, that knowing none of them eat leftovers, why make an abundance of anything.

Leftover pot roast or beef stew and the veggies make for a wonderful tasty roast beef hash!

The caucus from a roast turkey, along with any meat left on it makes a delicious soup. Stale cornbread makes a devine stuffing.

With 5 children, (4 boys and 1 girl) we seldom had leftovers when they were at home. Are you kidding? These people were veritable food vacuums.

Now that it's only Buck and me, I've learned to prepare menus that usually feed 4. If there are any leftovers, we will have them at lunch or I will freeze them for dinner on a busy or lazy day.

Left over potatoes... potato pancakes...

Left over steak or any kind of meat... a great topper for salad.

Left over veggies.... well, they become just that... left over veggies.

Some I can get away with recreating some, they are what they are!!!

Plan your leftovers before you plan your meal. When you make that whooper pot of stew (basically meat potatoes & carrots), serve it with interesting sides like fresh hot corn on the cob and crispy green beans with flaky buttery rolls. (note: dish up a large dish of stew and don't bring the whole pot to the table.) If you have to serve it again tomorrow give them some grilled cheese sandwiches to go with it and a brownie. The third and last stew day serve it with a fresh garden salad and some hot cornbread.
To avoid one pot left overs, don't put everything in the pot. If you have come into a windfall of asparagus, keep some fresh tips for salads.
On Friday night or Saturday, you can use your leftovers to create a buffet style meal.
Like someone has already said, the best way to disguise leftovers is to freeze and use as another meal in a week or two. In a week or two, you will not have to cook for a week or two! LOL

The vast majority of the time my leftovers take the same shape as the original meal. I am only cooking for myself, so who would I be fooling?

I live for leftover potatos. All the things you can do with them, but my favorite is to slice them, sautee with some crispy bacon, peas and a cheesy sauce. Left over cabbage is irresistable to me, I love it cold for breakfast. Most of our (paltry) leftovers appear in DH's lunch box or as my lunch.

With leftover meatballs, I like to slice up, and use in lasagne. leftover mince, I sometimes make toasties out of, I love mince toasties! Or sometimes I make shepherds pie. Leftover veg, I like to mash, and spread on a toasted tortilla.

A lot of times our leftovers end up being my breakfast, just the way they are. :cool: I do as a lot of you do with my leftovers, using them as a base for another meal. I especially love making hash from leftover steak or roast. I don't try to trick my husband though. In fact he likes to hear how I turn one thing into another, so to speak, using leftovers.

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom