Do you shop frequently or use up the fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My super shopper (Souschef) keeps us well stocked 2x week.

He keeps both a freezer and pantry inventory and takes advantage of every possible sale at our only Super Market..(Von's) along with the Mexican Market. It's a game for him, and I love it! I can always put together a good meal with what's on hand, but he doesn't mind the one mile drive to get something I need last minute. He makes cooking a pleasure with everything available, so it's a great trade that works for us.
I shop at TJ's and Dollar Store bargian produce maybe 2x a month..20 miles round trip.
We waste very little.

Both - meats from freezer but fresh veggies. When meats are gone I stock up again. Unless there is a really good sale then I buy extra. I try not to stock to much though because I have lost to much food to power failures.

My compost becomes fuel for the councils cars and busses, yes I live in an apartment and has to compost and sort recycle everything, so even if I waste by misstake it goes to good use. Garbage also heat up this house.

Anyway, I found a great deal for beef mince , so I am off to the store to get as much as I am allowed for the low price.

My 85-year-old dad can't sit still for five minutes. He goes to the store at least once a day. Kroger, Target, Lowe's... there is always a reason for him to go somewhere -- just to go somewhere. Mom sews, reads and watches FoxNews all day. Dad spends all day finding "work" to do. :LOL:

I'm apparently your mom and my DH is your dad. :LOL:

This is exactly our problem, shopping is something I think we should avoid and now it is an addiction for DH since he retired. Half the problem of staying on a budget is not spending when we don't need to spend. He needs to work and shopping is work, I guess.
He shops all the stores.

Roden says:
Even though I'm not on food stamps anymore, I find I am still following the sales from store to store. I still buy food to last for a month, so my fridge is stocked at the beginning of the month and more or less empty by the end.

Loss leaders, everywhere, every day of the week. My head spins that this is a retirement hobby. Today Dh stole $4 from me because I left it sit on the table. I asked him why he stole it from me and he said, this is my contribution to buying water. And why are we buying water? We have a contaminated well that needs to be shocked. He will get to it on a day we don't have snow on the ground and freezing temperatures. May or June.

We HAVE hobbies that keep us at home, during summer, it's just this cabin fever we are dealing with right now. Cold weather.

I almost always have enough in my fridge, pantry and freezers to make a meal. We shop once a week, in general, based on the weekly sales, and occasionally stop by the store to pick up a forgotten item or something we run out of. I stock up on meats when they're on sale; DH just stocked up on several packages of frozen fish - I think they were two for one. There are a few specialty stores I visit occasionally, like the excellent olive oil and balsamic vinegar shop and the fishmonger for when I make ceviche.

While I keep some non-perishable staples in the pantry, I only buy enough food for about 2-3 days at a time. I don't like freezing meat, so I need to shop 2-3 times a week in order to have fresh meat every day. It also requires minimal meal planning and keeps us from wasting a lot of food.

I suspect it's a fairly standard practice to do a combination of things. We have stuff at home, either in a pantry or a freezer, and supplement that with sale items and fresh foods on some kind of regular basis. Veggies, fruits and dairy need regular restocking. Meats and fish can be frozen. Canned and dry goods can be stocked.

Living with my daughter and SIL, I find them to be a 'make weekly menu, shop once' couple..

I'm more likely to keep pantry and freezer stocked with things we always use and drop into a store for perishables as needed.. Getting out of the house, even just for milk, etc., is enjoyable for apartment living folks..

Ross

For years the little brown-eyed girl and I would hook up the wagon and go into town for supplies about once a month. Since Spike & Mike (mule team) passed away, we bought an old truck, and now go about once a week. :ermm:

My parents have enough protein in the freezer for at least six months. Ditto frozen veggies. I send my father shopping on Saturdays when he goes to his Norwegian language class. Since I am the "indentured servant," I rarely get out and do not dare grocery shop. He only eats certain things, heaven forbid if I made something new. I generally had a well stocked pantry, fridge, freezer. I shopped maybe once a month in the summer, more often in the winter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom