Does anyone else find this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
We had friends come over to see the baby today. They were extremely thoughtful and brought some ziti they made for us to eat some night this week so we would not have to cook. When they gave it to us they said that we probably would not like it because GB is such a good cook and we are used to eating GB's cooking. I am so thankful to them that they were so thoughtful and made us dinner, and the person who made it happens to be a fantastic cook, but they think because I enjoy cooking that I won't like their food which they think is inferior. Does anyone else experience this?

i hear, 'oh, i forgot, you're too GOOD for OUR food,' or something along those lines from the guys if they offer me some of 'THIER food', but i know they're joking and it makes me smile inside. it's cute. the jerks. :D

Yes, and I always correct their impressions. I've had friends think I make everything from scratch (wrong, wrong, wrong!!). Although this web site may have you believing otherwise, there are so many families where no one really ever cooks, or where there might be a prima donna 'chef' (i.e., someone who cooks one day every month or two for an audience, but couldn't figure out how to pour milk on the post toasties for the kids before school) that someone who cooks every day is looked upon as strange and wonderful. One of my cannisters is full of gravy and dressing mixes to rescue failed attempts. I would never be without a big jar of my favorite chicken boullion powder. I used to joke, when I was in the workforce, that my typing sucked but I sure knew how to use correction fluid. Being a good cook means knowing how to supplement your efforts when they fail!!!

I always try to let others no that my cooking isn't the only valid cooking on the planet, and that I make my share of mistakes too. But as was previously stated, there are many families where honest cooking is practiced in the home. We who do it are considered a rarity.

When someone comes to me and tries to put me on a pedestal, I shrug it off and try to teach them something about humility, my humility. Now if I'm over at someone else's home, and teh food we've eaten just doesn't measure up, if they like it, I like it. If they want to know how to improve it, then If I know how to improve it, and asked, I will offer advice and suggestion. And ceratainly, especially when the difference is solely about flavorings, I try to let people know that everyone has different tastes, and that just because I like my tomato sauce with a bit more sweet basil, that doesn't mean that they can't like more oregano. Our favorite flavors are just different, without either version being better, just different.

However, to those who use baking soda to flavor and tenderize a good piece of beef, I try to teach them a better way. That's just plain wrong. ;)

Just remember to be gracious and understand that they are paying you a compliment and acknowledging your skill and talent. Let them know they have talent as well, and that there is nothing you do that they couldn't.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I get this too! My mom rarely cooks for us anymore because she knows I enjoy doing it so much and because she feels like what she makes is too "blah." I grew up on her cooking so I enjoy eating it, no matter what it is--it brings back good memories! Plus, there are times when it's just so nice to let someone else do the cooking! I work hard at complementing and asking her to bring something if we have them over for dinner.

Not so much with food, but substitute the word BEER for FOOD and I get it all the time!

My friends are almost afraid to serve any mass produced beer if I'm around.

John

I get this too - I try to tell them it's just not true and they are mistaking my "passion" for some sort of gourmet food that not everyone can cook. I tell them that I've made some horrible meals - but I was really passionate while making them! lol Them that opens up a dialoge and they realize that cooking isn't hard - then my cover is blown!!!! :cry:

If Elf ever came to Ca. I would tell her where everything is or we would go to the store and get whatever SHE needed...LOL

I cook very little now due to back and feet problems..we usually catch as catch can and DH says "some of those cans are hard to catch.."

I get those types of comments on occassion for people, but it balances out because my siblings think I can't cook... :) We all think we're head chef in the kitchen at family gatherings.

take your complements, GB :)

A complement to your friends: if you ask for one of their recipes! I've had friends almost fall over if I ask them for theirs!

Dove said:
If Elf ever came to Ca. I would tell her where everything is or we would go to the store and get whatever SHE needed...LOL

I cook very little now due to back and feet problems..we usually catch as catch can and DH says "some of those cans are hard to catch.."

img_83077_0_a8511189eaf70ffb5088da97632f3540.gif
:LOL:

All my friends know that it's the best treat in the world if I get a meal cooked for me, and I'm so unfussy that I wouldn't care if it were frozen chicken nuggets and fries. It's definately the thought & the company that counts :)

Paint.

It happens to me, too. I can do no better than to echo Goodweed's comments. I also, like Elf, remind the people that they weren't around for my many flops. :) And of course, as you say, being cooked for is a special gift, as is any gift that contains the personal pawprints of the giver. I know those are the gifts I always remember most.

Cats

GB all the time when I am invited to friends' homes for dinner. THey all know I cook from scratch all the time, so they apologize that their dinner will not be as good or healthy because they use boxes, cans and such. I always like what I am served and do not complain, they just make a point of calling it to my attention that they buy all prepared stuff. It is annoying, and I am trying to get them to stop apologizing to me. I have said, what you cook and how you fix it is your business, and if I thought I would not have a good meal, I would have turned down the invitation.

i'd have to say no. i guess i bs about food and eating so much (and what else ya got :D ) that people seem to like making food for me, not that it happens all that often tho. i guess i seem to really enjoy eating, and i'm easy to please.
whenever friends or family get together, someone always points out something that they made that they really want me to try. i've been lucky so far, everything's been good...

Dove said:

I'll cook for you and Paul ANYTIME!!!

NEW BABY

CONGRADULATIONS ON THE NEW BABY! My own personal opinion is that the most important "feature" of the gathering is the new baby!!! Who cares if the food is not perfect, the point of the gathering is to honor the newborn, not the food!

I hear this quite often, but accept the compliment and move on. Most of my friends don't particularly enjoy cookikng but I have enjoyed many good meals in their homes.

I got a similar type of compliment over the weekend while visiting family. PeppA's aunt come up to see us. She asked PeppA if I did any of "that fancy cooking" at home. I barely heard that, and unfortunately, didn't heat PeppA;s reply.

I was expecting to have to help cook for everyone (at one time there was 16 folks in one house, the baby doesn't count), but only cooked breakfast that last morning we were there. In fact, the time that everybody was over, my sister did a lot of the cooking, my mother had some good heat-and-eat things, and my g'mother brought over some desserts.

I prefer to cook from scratch, but I do use some prepared foods. Heck, with 5 kids to cook for, sometimes even I don't have the time or patience to make everything from scratch! So, prepared foods do have their place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom