Dog Days Dinner - 7/3/2018

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
According to The Old Farmer's Almanac, July 3 is the start of Dog Days, the hot, sultry days of summer. They nailed it here, as this is the first day I've had to turn on the A/C (other than a few hours a couple of days ago, when the weatherman blew the forecast). We've managed to escape the heat wave across the rest of the Northeast, and yesterday we barely broke 70. Winds shifted and we lost our sea breeze, so we're into the 90's like the rest of the region.

B/S chicken thighs on the grill, the last of the leftover potato salad, green salad.

Nailed it here also! Been stinking hot and humid for days now. In the middle of the inevitable thunderstorm now. Hopefully it will cool down and not just make it more humid and miserable out.

Not sure about dinner but lunch was:

Two ears of White corn in the Instant Pot
Trivet in pot with 1 cup hot water
Corn - husk on trimmed just to kernels
Place corn on trivet
Steam, HP, 4 minutes, QR
Slipped out of husk, seasoned with butter, salt and pepper. It was sweet as sugar!

white_corn_070318_IMG_4426.JPG

I also prepped my ribs for tomorrow.
Dry rubbed and resting in a Ziploc bag in fridge. They will be smoked and grilled (or broiled if weather is bad) tomorrow.

ribs_dry_rub_070318_IMG_4431.JPG

...Not sure about dinner but lunch was:

Two ears of White corn in the Instant Pot...
I see you use your instant pot for most everything, msm. Just wondering how long it takes to cook corn in an instant pot from start to finish, including the time for pressure or whatever to build and subside? To my unknowing mind, it seems like too much trouble to fire that thing up for two ears of corn.

I bought two green tomatoes while shopping yesterday. They are less green today, so I guess one thing I'm making is some sort of fried green tomato. Still debating over a breakfast food for supper, or maybe another big salad.

I see you use your instant pot for most everything, msm. Just wondering how long it takes to cook corn in an instant pot from start to finish, including the time for pressure or whatever to build and subside? To my unknowing mind, it seems like too much trouble to fire that thing up for two ears of corn.
It's to hot to heat up kitchen. I can have soup, stew, pot roast anything I want during hot weather made in my Instant Pot. LOL I LOVE that.

Corn in the Instant Pot

Trivet in pot with 1 cup hot water
Place corn (any number that will fit. I think a 6 quart pot will fit 6 ears) - unhusked and trimmed top and bottom - just to kernels on bottom and cut off point on top
Place corn on trivet
Lock lid, close vent
Steam, high pressure, 4 minutes, quick release
Slip/pull out of husk, very little if any silk is left.

It took about 5 minutes (maybe less I didn't time it) to come to pressure so about 14 minutes start to finish.

From seriouseats:

I've had three great corn epiphanies in my life. The most recent was when my little sister showed me the best, fastest way to prepare fresh corn on the cob indoors.*

* Place a whole, un-shucked ear of corn in the microwave. Microwave it for three minutes. It is now perfectly cooked, and you are welcome.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-three-ways-to-grill-corn.html

I bought two green tomatoes while shopping yesterday. They are less green today, so I guess one thing I'm making is some sort of fried green tomato. Still debating over a breakfast food for supper, or maybe another big salad.
I can't find green tomatoes in the stores around here. I will have to seek out a farm. Most of the farms in the northern part of the "Garden" State have closed :(. So sad that the next generation isn't interested in keeping up the farms.

From seriouseats:

I've had three great corn epiphanies in my life. The most recent was when my little sister showed me the best, fastest way to prepare fresh corn on the cob indoors.*

* Place a whole, un-shucked ear of corn in the microwave. Microwave it for three minutes. It is now perfectly cooked, and you are welcome.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/07/the-food-lab-three-ways-to-grill-corn.html
I do that too. Fast, efficient, and foolproof!

Aanndd now I'm craving corn on the cob.

I do that too. Fast, efficient, and foolproof!

Aanndd now I'm craving corn on the cob.
My hub went crazy on the corn. We had 8 ears of white in fridge but then he bought 8 more ears of bi-colored corn. :ROFLMAO: Wish I could send you some.

I think I will cut some off the cobs and freeze for soups and waffles.

My hub went crazy on the corn. We had 8 ears of white in fridge but then he bought 8 more ears of bi-colored corn. :ROFLMAO: Wish I could send you some.

I think I will cut some off the cobs and freeze for soups and waffles.
msmofet, smoke some of that corn with your ribs tomorrow and make this amazing relish. I'm sure you can find something else to put it on if you can't find green tomatoes ;)

http://achefslifeseries.com/recipes/1

...* Place a whole, un-shucked ear of corn in the microwave...
^this^

I've learned to cut the base off the corn so that the lowest row of kernels are exposed. If the ear tapers a lot at the base, I put my knife tip under the husk "skirt" and give the husk short slits so that the corn looks like it's wearing a kick-pleat skirt. When it's done, I use a pot holder to grab the top of the silk and husk and shake the cob out of its sleeve. Clean, freshly cooked corn.

We aren't "soup-stew-pot roast" people in the summer. Those foods warm me from the inside out - and I'm warm enough, thank you. ;) Instead, I take advantage of the hot days of summer to eat the foods that chill my core: dinner salads, tuna-egg-chicken salad sandwiches, etc.

It took about 5 minutes (maybe less I didn't time it) to come to pressure so about 14 minutes start to finish.
Using the above method, I've done one ear for 3 minutes, two for 4-5 minutes, but never more than two at a time. I'm prepping the next ears while one is cooking. Once one is done and cools for a minute, I can cut the kernels off a cooked one while the next one is nuking. So, basically, I can cook six ears in 15 minutes, not dirty a pot, not heat the kitchen, and have the kernels cut from four ear when the last two come out of the micro. Works for me, but I'm glad you get so much use from your instant pot. I may get one someday, but I'm not ready to bite yet.

Keeping the kitchen cool, we had tuna and salmon sashimi, bbq eel that was nuked just to warm it up, and baked in the toaster oven (wife's idea :neutral:) "fried shrimp".

Attachments

• 0702181708d.jpg
    0702181708d.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 112
  • 0702181709c.jpg
    0702181709c.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 0702181708.jpg
    0702181708.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
We had an early lunch out today, and I don't feel like cooking so SC is going to pick up some good Ceviche they make at the Mexican market deli, and we'll have some glorified salads too.

Grilling steaks and I was going to partial nuke / finish baking potatoes on the grill too. Neither of us really wants a potato, so its garden green beans and salad today.

Guess who ran out of propane on the BBQ. sigh...

had to finish them in the house, on the stove and we are in the same heat wave as the rest of you.

But delish anyhow! Grilled Vietnmese Chicken Thighs, Baby Bok, Eggplant and rice.

Attachments

• 20180703_193658.jpg
    20180703_193658.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 20180703_194130.jpg
    20180703_194130.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 97
Looks good, everybody...I cheated and brought home some cooked and sauced baby back ribs we sell out of the meat counter, heated them up in tin foil then slathered with some Forty Creek whiskey bbq sauce, and a couple of small containers of salad from our salad bar...

Back
Top Bottom