Easter Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We usually have either fresh ham or lamb.

But this year it is the two of us and we have some frozen duck legs that are calling to us.

Probably will start with a crab cake appetizer.

Then roast the duck, serve with wild rice, baked asparagus and probably some other side.

Hopefully just a quiet day.

Lyn 221 said:
I am having my family in for dinner and what I love about Easter...is that I can make a ham!! Not labor intensive...so we will have ham (can't decide on a glaze though--any suggestions??), kolbassi with sauerkraut, potato salad, fresh asparagus, pineapple casserole, yams with poppyseed roll, kifles, lemon meringue pie and Easter shaped sugar cookies. It will probably be buffet style...haven't decided on that yet!!

We all love pineapple and right now on special sale. Would you mind sharing pineapple casserole? Your menu sounds good, you got any extra plates?

Pam Leavy said:
Parma ham is an Italian ham. It is sliced very thinly. It is also nice with melon as a starter.

Pam

Sounds like what I would call proscuitto ham, which is served with melon as a starter.

just found out i have to pick up a ham, kielbasi, potatoes and sauerkraut, beets and fresh horseradish root, farmer's cheese, rye bread, cole slaw and potato salad.

somehow, just the 2 of us are supposed to eat all of this.:ermm:
can you put kielbasi and kraut in a bottle?

My sons and I still laugh about the year when Julia Child did "bunny rabbit" for Easter ..... they were 5 & 7 , and that was about 25 years ago! But, it made an impression on them .. and has been a family joke ever since. Not sure my grand-daughters would appreciate the joke as much as their Dad's.

For Easter .... it's going to be lamb .... and not sure what else.

Caine said:
:chef: I'm making brandied rabbit in mustard sauce, scalloped potatoes, and steamed green beans, freshly picked. :sick:

Strawberries are coming in like crazy and the fruit stands are practally giving them away, so I will make my famous chocolate chocolate chip strawberry shortcake! I've been thinking about adding a new dimension to the cake by half-filling the center indentation with strawberry ice cream before putting the fresh strawberries and whipped cream on it. I remember a very long time ago that Howard Johnsons used to have a strawberry ice cream shortcake that was to DIE for!

Can I come to your house?????

I'm getting off really easy this time...MIL is doing Brunch!

It's rare when she cooks - she complains that I'm such a great cook and I love to do it so why should she?

ANSWER: Even someone who loves cooking and is good at it likes to eat someone else's efforts now and then!@!!!!!

Pdswife - I've participated at a Greek Easter - one of my fondest childhood memories! Thanks for reminding me!

I'll be doing

spiral ham with a glaze
leg of lamb with rosemary pesto
lime and thyme potato salad
rosemary peas (thanks kansasgirl!)

Then people are bringing:
deviled eggs
broccoli casserole
fresh green beans
several desserts
Watergate salad (my SIL's fav)
and I'm not sure what else - whatever they want to is fine with me

buckytom said:
just found out i have to pick up a ham, kielbasi, potatoes and sauerkraut, beets and fresh horseradish root, farmer's cheese, rye bread, cole slaw and potato salad.

somehow, just the 2 of us are supposed to eat all of this.:ermm:
can you put kielbasi and kraut in a bottle?

Buckytom...
Sheila and I are on our way.... :mrgreen:

John

I wasn't planning on doing a big Easter dinner since it's just going to be the 4 of us. But, my mom gave me a thing to get a free ham so I got about a 10lb. ham today. I'm going to cook it & have pineapple casserole, mashed potatoes, & I don't know what else yet. I do know that I'll be making a yellow cake topped with strawberries & whipped cream for dessert though!

I have to work a short shift at restaurant on Sunday in the midday...so we trying to decide whether or not we are going to get together for a breakfast or early dinner.

Some say it is to be Leg of Lamb with that yucky green mint sauce. Not me how about cornish hens for everyone? But Leg of lamb is only second to liver on making me :sick: . So Cornish Hens and mashed potatoes, green beans, salad, and Jello for me :chef: . Oh and one other thing Ice Tea (NO SUGAR PLEASE to DRINK). :rolleyes:

thumpershere2 said:
We will be having a beautiful ham,garlic mashed potatoes and gravy,rutabeggies smothered in butter,fresh baked rolls,wild rice in mushroom sauce,pickled beets, coleslaw for our salad. I love cooking big meals, I just wish someone was coming over to help us eat it all.

Can I have your recipe for wild rice in mushroom sauce please?

ronjohn55 said:
Buckytom...
Sheila and I are on our way.... :mrgreen:

John

ronjohn, you and your wife (you married an australian? :) ) are certainly welcome in our house anytime. i did forget to mention warm buttered babka and crusciki for dessert. oh, and cold zywiecks and okocims.

We're doing a very non-traditional meal for Easter. Two of our friends are coming over around 4. They really wanted to make fondue. So I am doing the beef fondue and she is doing a cheese fondue. For the beef fondue I have made 3 different sauces. Mustard sauce (1 cup coleslaw dressing to 2 T. yellow mustard), a sweet chili sauce, and a spicy chili sauce. Some of the sides are lemon dill herb dip served with wheat thins, garlic bread sticks, and coleslaw. I am also fixing the tomato, olive and feta cheese salad that I posted not too long ago. I found that the dressing did need quite a bit more red wine vinegar added to it. Happy Easter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom