Easter Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
What will you make for your Easter dinner? I'm still trying to decide, but am leaning towards spiral cut ham and assorted side dishes.

You can buy little hams here. I am going to have a few of them, either twice baked potatoes or fried potatoes with rosemary, some veggies and for dessert small apple pies made with puff pastry topped with ice cream.

I am thinking of doing a starter with shallots and parma ham. It is a recipe I made for Christmas a few years ago and everybody really enjoyed it.

Pam

i don't cook Easter Dinner, but we have a ham, mashed potatoes, canned crescent rolls, corn and peas, gourmet chocolates ('cept for me), nuts, and a pineapple-jell-o dessert. yum. nothing fancy, just nice family dinner... who could ask for anything more?

I am having my family in for dinner and what I love about Easter...is that I can make a ham!! Not labor intensive...so we will have ham (can't decide on a glaze though--any suggestions??), kolbassi with sauerkraut, potato salad, fresh asparagus, pineapple casserole, yams with poppyseed roll, kifles, lemon meringue pie and Easter shaped sugar cookies. It will probably be buffet style...haven't decided on that yet!!

We have two Easters every year. The "American" Easter will just be a reg. dinner. With a nice dessert. My mother will prbly join us and we'll invite the neighbors over too. Nothing fancy.

Easter # 2 will be a big bash though. Greek Easter (May 1st) will be spent down in Oregon at Paul's folks. We'll buy a whole lamb and roast it over a pit in the front yard *yep, just like they did in the movie*. MIL and I will spend two days cooking up every Greek dish known to man. There's usally 30 or so of us and it's quite the day. My birthdays the 3rd of May so there will be a big carrot cake added to the huge list of Greek desserts. Oh I can't wait for the milk pita to be served! It's to die for. :heart:

Traditionally we eat lamb for Easter. So, I'll probably roast a leg with rosemary and garlic and serve it with seasonal vegetables and roast potatoes and parsnips. Served with gravy and mint sauce (home made - I HATE that bright green coloured jelly GLOOP stuff that you can buy in some shops) :cool:

Pudding will probably be cranachan - but made with rhubarb (its in season here now), instead of traditional raspberries. Oh and there will be simnel cake for those that have any room left after the above. :mrgreen:

My Mom, (near 50 years old) said she's gonna cook a ham, and "Green bean casserole" . I asked her, "is it a "City Ham" or Country ham" (as in Smoked, or "mostly cooked") Bless her Heart, I'm still teachin' her how to cook, LOL (Joke) :) Atomic Jed!

Hi all,

I’m thinking a 3 or 4 course meal with an emphasis on local fresh products and produce.

Probably a chicken or duck with a herb crust, roasted spring vegetables (carrots for sure), and new baby potatoes. Perhaps a simple soup to start off with, something green and springy like watercress or asparagus. At my house we eat salad after the main course, so for sure a mixed greens salad with a simple dressing, something tangy and sweet perhaps…still figuring out for sure what I’ll make. I think for desert I’ll do something like baked custard or a crème caramel.

Yum, yum Easter is such a great excess to cook up a wonderful meal, and unlike Christmas I feel it is more relaxing. Not only in terms of what you can cook but not having to worry about all the Christmas stresses.

Happy festive cooking to all! :chef:

Trish, you and Paul get to have such a great Easter with the Greek side of the family. Someday I will do it again. I don't know for sure what we are doing yet. My Mom wants us to come and visit her, my in-laws want us to come and visit them, and even though my Dad has passed away now, his girlfriend wants us there (ain't happening!). I'll get it figured out in the next few days. Looks like a lot of great meals happening on Easter Sunday. :)

The menu that we'll be serving is as follows. Price per person is $85, $110 paired with wines by the glass:

First Taste

Choice of:​

Deconstructed California Roll
Chilled Dungess Crab with Tobiko-Wasabi Aioli,​
Avocado "Tartare", Pickled Cucumber with Sesame,​
Pea Shoots with Soy-Citrus Vinaigrette​

or​

Soy-Sake Steamed Veal Cheek and
Pan Seared Foie Gras
Ginger-Soy Broth, Vine Ripened Tomato Concasse,​
Truffled Micro Greens​

Second Taste

Roasted Yukon Gold and Sweet Potato Soup
Green Apple and Goat Cheese Ravioli,​
Chive Creme Fraiche​

or​

Poached White Asparagus and Rocket Salad
Shaved Manchego Cheese, Tear Drop Tomatoes,​
Lemon-Basil Vinaigrette​

Main Course

Butter Poached Maine Lobster
Soybean and Scallion Risotto, Hearts of Palm Salad,​
Yuzu-Shiso Beurre Blanc​

or​

Grilled Ginger and Hoisin Glazed Rack of Lamb
Roasted Fingerling Potatoes, Rapini and Cipollini Onions,​
Shiitake-Lamb Jus​

or​

Grilled Pancetta Wrapped Filet Mignon
Chive and Roasted Garlic Potatoes, Spring Vegetable Gratin,​
Morel-Truffle Demi Glace​

Dessert

Spring Trio Sampler
Raspberry-Chocolate Souffle, Roasted Rhubarb and​
Strawberry Bread Pudding, Blackberry Sorbet​

We will be having a beautiful ham,garlic mashed potatoes and gravy,rutabeggies smothered in butter,fresh baked rolls,wild rice in mushroom sauce,pickled beets, coleslaw for our salad. I love cooking big meals, I just wish someone was coming over to help us eat it all.

We are going to friends' this year. He is doing a ham on the grill, there will be a spinach souffle ( my contribution) "fried" carrots, potatoes au gratin (from scratch) mac and cheese (there will be children there) and assorted other sides, I imagine. Six couples will be bringing food, so it will be a feast. Oh, yes, the best pie maker in the state is bringing 3 pies. Can't wait.
Happy Easter, Everyone.

Lamb if it looks good, ham if it doesn't. Asparagus wrapped in proscuitto. Herbed potatoes. Cherry cheesecake.

I know what I'd planned for Easter, but won't be fixing (a friend will be cooking and I'm not sure yet) -- a lamb loin, thin sliced root veggies (slice regular white, yukon gold, and sweet potatoes, toss in olive oil and garlic seasoning, maybe some thin sliced onion, arrange in a thin layer and bake at high heat for a short time, until almost crisp), a European cuke salad, lots of great wine. I'll tune in in a couple of days to tell you what I'm really eating and making. My family tradition was always ham (we're originally French Canadian), my husband's (Slovak/SLovene) was lamb. I tend to go with lamb because I love it so much.

As far as I know right now. A spiced ham. Not sure what else we'll have with it. Probably have to make a new dessert.

hams99.jpg

LeeAnn said:
Trish, you and Paul get to have such a great Easter with the Greek side of the family. Someday I will do it again. I don't know for sure what we are doing yet. My Mom wants us to come and visit her, my in-laws want us to come and visit them, and even though my Dad has passed away now, his girlfriend wants us there (ain't happening!). I'll get it figured out in the next few days. Looks like a lot of great meals happening on Easter Sunday. :)

Some day.. Paul and I will invite you and the girls down for our Greek Easter LeeAnn. This year mom is tired and just wants family. But, some day!!!! You'll be there too.

:chef: I'm making brandied rabbit in mustard sauce, scalloped potatoes, and steamed green beans, freshly picked. :sick:

Strawberries are coming in like crazy and the fruit stands are practally giving them away, so I will make my famous chocolate chocolate chip strawberry shortcake! I've been thinking about adding a new dimension to the cake by half-filling the center indentation with strawberry ice cream before putting the fresh strawberries and whipped cream on it. I remember a very long time ago that Howard Johnsons used to have a strawberry ice cream shortcake that was to DIE for!

Back
Top Bottom