Easter ham leftovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can also make some Jambalaya with a good ham, although to be authentic, you need tasso, a spicy cured ham from Louisiana. I find tasso to be a little to spicy for my taste, so I prefer to go with a good cured ham.

Thanks for the ideas Quizzie, licia, AllenMI. I do like the sound of the fried potatoes, ham, mushroom, onions, peppers...would be good for breakfast. I made a pot of gumbo yesterday and added the ham but didnt like the way it change the flavor of the gumbo. It was worth a try though.

I made this laast night and it came out fantastic.

Fried Brown Rice with Hame and Veggies

1 cup diced city ham (I cooked mine on the Webber with apple wood for smoke, over an indirect fire).
1 12-oz. can straw mushrooms, drained (reserve the liquid)
8 oz. sliced portabella Mushrooms
2 carots, peeled and sliced
1 stalk Bok Choy, sliced
1/2 cup frozen sweet peas
3 tbs. lite soy sauce
2 large eggs
2 cups cooked brown rice (I used minute-type rice for convenience)
2 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil with a "green" flavor (I like Carapelli EVOO)

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan until hot. Add the carrots and protabella mushroom slices. Stir fry until the carrot is starting to soften. Add the bok choy.

Pour the liquid from the canned straw mushrooms into a pot and add additional water to make 1 3/4 cups of liquid. Bring to a boil, add 1 cup of the quick cooking brown rice, cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.

Add a touch of milk and the eggs to a bowl and beat until smooth. Make them into scrambled eggs. Stir the veggies. Add the ham, eggs, peas, and soy sauce to the veggies. Set aside. When the rice is done, pour it into the frying pan with the other incredients and stir. Add a bit more olive oil if required.

When all is hot, serve with other leftovers from your Easter dinner. We had Knox-blocks and sea-breeze salad to go with the fried rice. It was great.

Of course, this rice and veggie mixture would also be great by substituting clam juice for the water, and adding scallops or shrimp in place of the ham. And then again, I'm thinking chicken broth and diced chicken would be good in place of the seafood, or maybe... You get the picture.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed of the North said:
I made this laast night and it came out fantastic.

Fried Brown Rice with Hame and Veggies

1 cup diced city ham (I cooked mine on the Webber with apple wood for smoke, over an indirect fire).
1 12-oz. can straw mushrooms, drained (reserve the liquid)
8 oz. sliced portabella Mushrooms
2 carots, peeled and sliced
1 stalk Bok Choy, sliced
1/2 cup frozen sweet peas
3 tbs. lite soy sauce
2 large eggs
2 cups cooked brown rice (I used minute-type rice for convenience)
2 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil with a "green" flavor (I like Carapelli EVOO)

Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan until hot. Add the carrots and protabella mushroom slices. Stir fry until the carrot is starting to soften. Add the bok choy.

Pour the liquid from the canned straw mushrooms into a pot and add additional water to make 1 3/4 cups of liquid. Bring to a boil, add 1 cup of the quick cooking brown rice, cover, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.

Add a touch of milk and the eggs to a bowl and beat until smooth. Make them into scrambled eggs. Stir the veggies. Add the ham, eggs, peas, and soy sauce to the veggies. Set aside. When the rice is done, pour it into the frying pan with the other incredients and stir. Add a bit more olive oil if required.

When all is hot, serve with other leftovers from your Easter dinner. We had Knox-blocks and sea-breeze salad to go with the fried rice. It was great.

Of course, this rice and veggie mixture would also be great by substituting clam juice for the water, and adding scallops or shrimp in place of the ham. And then again, I'm thinking chicken broth and diced chicken would be good in place of the seafood, or maybe... You get the picture.

GW, Fried Rice, great idea! You could add pineapple or any leftovers you have on hand. How about a ham moo shu with veggies. Use an omelette to roll up the filling.

Ham/cheese/veggie crepes with Hollandaise or white sauce

Ham/ potato/cheese/chive pancakes

mish said:
GW, Fried Rice, great idea! You could add pineapple or any leftovers you have on hand. How about a ham moo shu with veggies. Use an omelette to roll up the filling.

Ham/cheese/veggie crepes with Hollandaise or white sauce

Ham/ potato/cheese/chive pancakes

Thanks, Mish. You're a peach.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom