Everyone looks forward to it....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
We've all got something...something special that comes from our kitchen or hobby room that people look forward to year after year.

From me, it's cookies. Platters of hundreds of assorted cookies in all shapes, sizes, flavours, colours. People start asking before Thanksgiving for a preview of what's on the list...

From my sister, it's her tiramisu. She only makes it once a year, for christmas.

My Aunt Tessie always made a lemon creme mould from a recipe on the back of the carnation evaporated milk can. ( I make that recipe now...and people need that, too!)

So, what's in your holiday bag that everyone looks forward to, year after year?

Ah....but now I want to know more about it...

How long have you been making it? Where did you get the recipe?

Sadly Vera, the one thing everyone looked forward to each year was sugar cookies made from yard-o-dough but heavily decorated by all the kids in the family. It was the only kind I knew how to make. However, I just made a tiramisu a couple of days ago that I think will become a favorite. Already, all the kids have requested I make it again for Christmas dinner.

I'm not much of a baker, but I do try to make Christmas biscotti every year. It's made with candied fruit, so when you slice it, the red, green and yellow fruits dot the cookies. The recipe came from a cookbook I have called "Cookies, Cookies, Cookies."

Also, I'm a member of the local League of Women Voters and the first Saturday in December is our program planning/holiday get-together and we all bring a breakfast/brunch type dish to share. For the last several years, I've made orange-cranberry scones from a recipe I found online. They've been a big hit. This year, I made two batches - one for the buffet and one I divided into bag of 6 and sold at the Bizarre Bazaar fundraiser we also have that morning.

Last edited:
The ever-popular Chex Mix "Scramble", complete with Cheerios, peanuts, pretzels, veg oil, Worcestershire sauce, and season salt.

Stuff is addicting. I make two huge roasting pans full and it's never enough.

Lee

Sadly Vera, the one thing everyone looked forward to each year was sugar cookies made from yard-o-dough but heavily decorated by all the kids in the family. It was the only kind I knew how to make. However, I just made a tiramisu a couple of days ago that I think will become a favorite. Already, all the kids have requested I make it again for Christmas dinner.
What, pray tell, is yard - o - dough??

Every year I make oodles of cookies too, Vera.

My favorites (and everyone else's in the family) are my Grandma's Monster cookies. I've mentioned them here before, but the recipe's one of those family things.

However, all look forward to the Martha Stewart Thumbprint cookies I make every holiday (what's a holiday without cookies?)

My "thing" is different every year and that's what my friends look forward to. One year I may give a homemade hot chocolate gift basket, complete with chocolate mix, a parcel of mini marshmallows, chocolate-covered spoons, etc.

Another year it may be a basket full of homemade pasta, homemade canned pasta sauce, a baguette, etc.

Other years, it could be a mix of savory and sweet breads for breakfast or dinner.

I always "mix" things up and have a great time doing it. My only problem is remembering what I gave to whom.

I've even baked goodies to give to my friend's pets as part of their gift basket.

P.S.
Buck says I'm the best cook in the county. I don't know, I just know he always eats what I cook.

Last edited:
Ah....but now I want to know more about it...

How long have you been making it? Where did you get the recipe?

Recipe out of a cookbook. ( will share if ya want)
I've only been making it for four or five years now.
It's so easy
and always good.

Not at all hard like the regular rochas. Yummmmmmy!!!!!:)

I had a job once that had 2 "goodie days", one near Thanksgiving and one near Christmas.
By decree of the Boss, I was to bring egg rolls and my special dipping sauce, which she thought was something special.

Soy sauce, ginger powder, red pepper flakes and chicken bullion powder, LOL!

Mine is crackerjack. It's my grandpa's recipe. I don't make it every year but someone in the family always makes it every holiday. We take turns. It makes quite alot (5 gallons) so there is always plenty to share from a single batch.

Now I'm really red-faced. :blush: Yard-o-dough is already made cookie dough that is packaged in a long tube - similar to the long summer sausages named Yard-O-Beef. Anyway, you peel off the plastic wrap and slice it and bake it.

Don't be red faced!...when I was a kid, we called it 'Pillsbury":ROFLMAO:

I'm not much of a baker, but I do try to make Christmas biscotti every year. It's made with candied fruit, so when you slice it, the red, green and yellow fruits dot the cookies. The recipe came from a cookbook I have called "Cookies, Cookies, Cookies."

I'll bet they are wonderful. Ever dip the ends in white chocolate?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom