Fais Do-Do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ham Hock

Cook
I am having a Cajun Fais Do-Do this Sunday complete with Cajun Music!
(pronounced fay doe doe)

It's a gathering of neighbors to eat good food, play music, and dance and have fun.

I'm doing sausages all day Saturday so I'm going to have

Boudin Blanc
Andouille
Seafood and andouille gumbo
Crawfish etoufee
And creole eggs

Gonna take some Delta Hickabillies and CAJUNIZE them! :-p

I have been to many real fais do-dos in cajun land when we used to visit my mothers family there. They always pulled one off and they are so much fun!

One of my most memorable, (these were 30+ years ago mind you) was once time when Uncle Man and Taunt Mable showed up with a pick up truck slam fulla big ole blue crabs, sacks of oysters, and big ole gulf shrimp.

Some of the men went to shucking oysters and some got the big pots ready to boil the crabs and shrimp, and some played music, while the ladies did some kitchen stuff and minded the kids. (my grandmother had 32 grandkids!)

They took big pots the size of a wheelbarrow and poured out boiled crabs, shrimp, corn and adouillie sausage across the picnic tables and I just thought that is about the coolest thing in the WORLD!

The ladies came with potato salad and bread and seasoned butter and drinks, it was really sumthing to me. No plates, just belly up and make a mess!

Last edited:
Ham Hock said:
I have been to many real fais do-dos in cajun land when we used to visit my mothers family there. They always pulled one off and they are so much fun!

One of my most memorable, (these were 30+ years ago mind you) was once time when Uncle Man and Taunt Mable showed up with a pick up truck slam fulla big ole blue crabs, sacks of oysters, and big ole gulf shrimp.

Some of the men went to shucking oysters and some got the big pots ready to boil the crabs and shrimp, and some played music, while the ladies did some kitchen stuff and minded the kids. (my grandmother had 32 grandkids!)

They took big pots the size of a wheelbarrow and poured out boiled crabs, shrimp, corn and adouillie sausage across the picnic tables and I just thought that is about the coolest thing in the WORLD!

The ladies came with potato salad and bread and seasoned butter and drinks, it was really sumthing to me. No plates, just belly up and make a mess!
If/When I get to heaven there will be a corner that is this scene exactly!

GB said:
If/When I get to heaven there will be a corner that is this scene exactly!

Yeah... sounds like a great time (and would make a great backdrop for a movie!).

geebs, don't go to heaven just yet - just getcher butt down to Lafayette or any other place south of I-10 in Louisiana. Or, crash Ham Hock's party in MS.

Ham, fais some do-do for me. I will be with you in spirit. What music are you playing?

It IS heaven!

I love the cajun culture so much that I have been thinking about going to Nawlins and do a real culinary school just once in my life.

I cant think of a worse **** than THAT! Cook all day, roam the French Quarter and shops in the afternoon, wake up and read the Times Picayune at the cafe du monde before I go to school all day to cook!!!

Now THAT is **** on EARTH!!!!!!! :-p

I ordered some cajun CD's off the web, I really do not know much about the music except I know it when I hear it. The man in Metarie who owned the shop told me on the phone that these two cd's will do a Fais do-do proud!

I even talked to my mom yesterday to share those days a little, she told me that they have told her that the fais do-do is a dieing tradition and that almost nobody does them anymore.

I will do them until I get to heaven!!!!! :-p

Cajun music so so great. I do not know any of it by name, but I remember watching a movie many years ago. It has something to do with Cajun people. All I remember was the music moved me to my soul. I wish I knew the name of the movie so I could track down that music. It was magical stuff!

I have a cabin on a river lake on the Mississipp with the water 100 feet from the back door. It is quite beautiful and wild and rustic there. My father built it and gave it to me later on, he built it complete with rounded brick arches and rought iron poles and rought iron railings that make you feel like you just stepped out of the Miss Delta and onto Royal Street. It is just wonderful.
I have a picture of it somewhere maybe I can find it.

The kids fish and the adults laze around and cook and relax. No better a thing to do in this part of the world in spring.

musicians to learn about -
Dewey Balfa or the Balfa Brothers
Beausoliel (a band, led by Michael Doucet)
Clifton Chenier (zydeco music - a little zippier than traditional Cajun, but boffo for dancing)
Buckwheat Zydeco (band, see Clifton Chenier)
Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys
D.L. Menard

CD produced by Ann Savoy - "Evangeline Made- A Tribute to Cajun Music"

geebs the movie you are thinking of could have been "Shy People", with Barbara Hershey and about the Cajun culture of the Atchalafaya Basin.

Also check out the Smithsonian live recordings done by Allan Lomax (sp?) from the 30s and 40s of traditional Cajun music.

C'est bon, cheres!

Nope that waasn't the movie. I don't remember much about it, but I know that I didn't like the movie. I seem to remember a deranged character trying to kill people and hunting them through a river while this amazing music was playing.

GB said:
Nope that waasn't the movie. I don't remember much about it, but I know that I didn't like the movie. I seem to remember a deranged character trying to kill people and hunting them through a river while this amazing music was playing.

that was "Southern Comfort" (the name just came to me). With Keith Carradine and another guy I like but can't think of his name. They were doing Natl. Guard duty down in the swamps and one of their fellow Guardsman got idiotic and killed a Cajun. The rest of the movie is about how the Cajuns, who know the swamps so well, hunt them down.

Mud Bug where are you?

I was born in NO and mama is from Crowley.

I love that part of the world. I have done much in the wild there.

I caught some mud bugs -

9778.jpg

Caught some catfish hand grabbin them out of barrels we put out for the spring.

big_cats.jpg

Caught lots of Specks at Grande Isle

trout.jpg

Caught me some of them big ole snappas and groupas

snapper.jpg

(even some big ones)

warsaw.jpg

I just love just about all there is about south louisiana but if the people there were not like they are, it would not be the same.

Back
Top Bottom