family foods others might call odd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ohhhh, I love that alt+0176 stuff. I have to tell you (just because I can) that it's 33° outside right now just to try it out! Just my 2¢! :P

Anyway, the Romanians make a type of pancake to be eaten for dinner during Lent and some have potatoes and onions, some have sauerkraut, and some lovely pancakes have a weed that we used to pick out of the gardens called lambsquarters. Man o Man they are delicious. We affectionately referred to them as grass pies.

BC

My grandmother used to make calf brains and scrambled eggs (way back before the days "Mad Cow" made such a practice unsafe). If she didn't make homemade biscuits and gravy ... Grandpa and I would douse everything with ketchup.

Here's some foods/combinations? I grew up with that may sound odd to others, but I enjoy.

My grandma, made buttered noodles, salt & pepper & mixed in cottage cheese. I still make this, to this day as a quick dish.

My mom used to make a meatloaf, mashed potatoes in the center, & covered with vegetable soup.

She also made a package of dry lipton chicken noodle soup & added chunks of boiled potatoes.

One of my favorites - mashed potatoes with green peas mixed in, with a big dollup of cold sour cream.

To Norgeskog, lefse 'is' odd to some people.
People assume it's a tortilla when it's placed in front of them.
Of course to me, it's not odd.

I didn't think about 'not' draining the kidney beans. How long do you let them cook in the evapo milk? Do you mash them?

To Texas, lefse is quite a feat to accomplish. It's doable but you'll need a little practice at getting it round and flat and those tiny little lines in it need the correct rolling pin. Good fortune with your batch :)

TexasTamale said:
norgeskog said:
PA Baker, lefse is made from mashed potatoes, butter, milk (basically left over ones) which are mixed with enough flour to roll out and bake on a dry cast iron pan. THey look like a flour tortilla but have the most wondeful taste. They are a Norwegian flat bread.

This sounds like something to add to my addictions! ;)
I am going to have to make this!

My Odds are:
Cottage Cheese with Picante Sauce
Slice of Velveeta with Sweet Pickle Relish on top
Potato Tacos

TexasTamale, it is easy, and did you know that one of the first Norwegian settlers who crossed the states was Cleng Piersen and settled in Texas. Maybe you are a descendent.

I do something similar with cottage cheese, use original doritos to dip.

Don't get me started on Lamb's Quarters. My parents used to go and pick that "weed", and stew it like spinach, then serve it. Of course, I get nauseated by the smell of cooked spinach, and to me, Lamb's Quarters were basically the same thing.

Fried clams dipped in turkey gravy. OK, ANYTHING dipped in turkey gravy ;)

My FIL almost had a heart attack when we went to a clam shack and I did this. I think he wanted to take back his approval for me marrying his daughter.

Cold, mashed avacado with a little sugar mixed in, spread on soft bread. Makes a great sandwich.

PA Baker said:
wasabi said:
Barbara L said:
Very cold cottage cheese with very hot baked beans dumped on top.

:) Barbara

I'm speechless.

Me too--you should have seen the look on my face when I read that one! Barbara, whatever makes you happy! :LOL:
As they say, don't knock it until you've tried it! It is actually a very good combination.

:) Barbara

Growing up a real treat was when we had left-over rice we'd use it as a cereal - rice, milk, and sugar. SierraCook is the only other person I know if that does this - everyone else jus says ewwwww!

II can't think of anything that is truly weird except my husband spoons a huge dollop of mayonnaise on his pintos - it's gross and I've tried it!!!! I can understand sour cream - but the mayo is nasty!!

kitchenelf said:
Growing up a real treat was when we had left-over rice we'd use it as a cereal - rice, milk, and sugar. SierraCook is the only other person I know if that does this - everyone else jus says ewwwww!

II can't think of anything that is truly weird except my husband spoons a huge dollop of mayonnaise on his pintos - it's gross and I've tried it!!!! I can understand sour cream - but the mayo is nasty!!

i've done, rice, milk and sugar, lol.

LEFSElover said:
To Norgeskog, lefse 'is' odd to some people.
People assume it's a tortilla when it's placed in front of them.
Of course to me, it's not odd.

I didn't think about 'not' draining the kidney beans. How long do you let them cook in the evapo milk? Do you mash them? :)

just cook till hot ang thickened. don't mah.

not odd 'family' food per se because my family looks at me like I'm off my rocker when I do this, but I LOVE PB&J with Nacho Cheese Doritos on the sandwich instead of on the side. ;)

my uncle likes pickled herring, it's a swedish thing. And, something called Sil (sp?).. that's ground veal and served cold.
yuk.gif

Back
Top Bottom