Famous Daves BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having been raised in Texas, I feel it's my duty to say that real BBQ is made from beef. Anything else is a pretender. ;)

Famous Dave's makes the best brisket I've found here in beef bbq challenged East Tennessee. This isn't saying it's great, but it's passable.

phinz, you live in absolutely the wrong state if you are in search of beef bbq.

Those who are of the pork persuasion would call you a barbarian; however, I will not.

I was born and raised in Memphis. I was also raised on Memphis style BBQ.

Many years later when fate took me to Texas- I was appalled- when they make BBQ they don't even start with the right animal.

Over time I learned to like briskit, and sausage, and turkey and all the rest. I learned it is all good- if there is a competent pit master at the controls.

In my experience he doesnt work at Famous Dave's. Too bad....

I went to the one in Plymouth MI a couple times about a year ago. They have a few different sampler plates depending on how many people you have. If you get one for 4 people it feeds more like 6. Thay also bring it out on a garbage can lid. Now thats classy!!They also have great beer!! I think it was like their own brand or something. Anyway the coolest thing (I thought) was they have like six different sauces right the at the table for you!! I love condiments and BBQ sauce is my favorite so I was like a pig in...ummm ..a smoker!!
I still like C.W. Ribs in plymouth MI better. But not the kinda place u want to take a gang of people, but if u r from S.E. MI I would say it is worth looking into. THE best BBQ ribs I have ever had. F.D.'s is nowhere close but a different beast. I reccoment it

Last edited:
We've never eaten there before. In fact, I don't know of any near us. Too bad because I'd suggest going because DH favorite meal out is BBQ Ribs.

We've eaten at the Novi, MI Famous Daves three times. Midweek lunch was great, midweek Supper was also good. The Weekend Supper was disapointing-the ribs in the combo were tough. we complained, were given more- a bit better but no where near as tender as during a mid week visit.I think they are cutting the time in the smoker and finishing on the grill when busy. They should be able to smoke enough product for their anticipated weekend crowd and get the ribs tender consistently. The Brisket was tender each time.

The closest famous daves to me is about an hour 1.25 hours away. I never go that directly so ive never been. I have tried famous daves bbq sauce in my local walmart and its one of my favorites. Until recently we had NOOOO good bbq places around where i live. We had smokey bones which is an overpriced grilling place which is FAR from bbq and we also have corkies which SUCKS too. Then we got a hickory river in town within the last year which i think is very good. They specialize in brisket which i think is pretty darn good (not as good as my brisket) but a lot easier :).

Ncage

:huh:
romanticf16 said:
Famour Daves spicy BBQ sauce tasted just like Gates Kansas City BBQ Sauce IMHO.

Hmm never hard their "spicy" bbq sauce but i probably wouldn't like it if it tastes like gates bbq sauce because i don't like gates. I have tried their sweet bbq sauce which i really really like. I also have tried their chipotle bbq sauce which i also liked.

We got a Famous Daves in Omaha about 2 or 3 years ago. At first it was pretty good, but quality seems to have fallen off a bit. I rather it were a Tony Romas.

I go to the one in Richmond VA when there visiting family. We like it alot. I don't think I've had anything from there that I didn't like. I have yet to make my own BBQ and have it come out tasting anything like it's suposed to. Not sure what I did wrong but right now budget constraints have limited my experimentation.

The first time we tried Famous Dave's was in Vernon Hills, a northern suburb here. We were not impressed, and felt we could get way better at The Silo or even Portillos of all places.
After we moved to Cicero, one opened up near us at the North Riverside Mall, and we decided to give it a shot again. This time around we were pleased with the food and enjoyed it.
I do prefer my BBQ with my homemade sauce, but for a chain restaurant this location had good eats. If asked by visitors we would recommend this location.

Famous Dave's

We live near Detroit, MI. If we were having a large party, and I didn't want to do the Q myself, I'd rather order from Neeley's Interstate in Memphis. There prices are so much lower than those in Mi; the Q is pit cooked; and comes shipped frozen, ready to reheat, complete with bottles of sauce-for less than you'd pay for carry outs at Dave's. Or order from Corky's or Charlie Vedros place, all in Memphis. For a quick Q meal Dave's is OK, but not great, and is quite crowded most evenings.

Famous Dave's isn't bad for a chain. Sauce is pretty good, and the burgers are a good value. I haven't really tried their barbecue items, but I wouldn't expect anything spectacular.

The only brand of b-b-que sauce we buy is Famous Daves brand... doesn't matter how much other brands go on sale. ;)

We've been to the original Famous Daves restaurant in Hayward, WI. We like it. Their chicken wild rice soup is to die for. I also like their beef brisket and cornbread muffins.... mmmmmmmm!!!! I actually have the cookbook (Backroads and Sidestreets), and have used it some, even if the recipes have 20 ingredients. I guess the more ingredients, the more flavor, right?!

Back
Top Bottom