Famous Daves BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Bang, good to hear from you!

I've been seeing some ads on TV but I don't know if there are any places around here. Whenever a new BBQ place opens up, I try it outbut so far, no luck.

I've eaten at Famous Dave's a coupla times and found it to be a pretty decent chain store.

Andy M. said:
Hey Bang, good to hear from you!

I've been seeing some ads on TV but I don't know if there are any places around here. Whenever a new BBQ place opens up, I try it outbut so far, no luck.

Route 1 in Saugus, Andy. I must admit, the ribs ARE good! :)

Lee

I think I have actually been to the FIRST Famous Dave's restaurant.. I am not positive though.. Good food, especially if you get everything right out of the Smokehouse..

The problem I have had is that one time I go there, and the food is great.. The next time, it is just okay.. Seems to be pretty random! For the most part, I have always been pretty happy..

-Brad

Hey guys, how's it going? I don't mean to be negative here, but I just don't like Famous Dave's. Maybe it's the one we have here in Augusta, Ga. But quite frankly, I think it sucks.

We (the family) went when it first opened. There was nothing we liked. I figured, give it a little bit of time (they just opened) maybe they needed some breaking in. So about 3 months later we went back. Terrible.

About a year from that my sisters birthday party was held there and I got the bbq sandwich, and it wasn't to bad. But how can you really mess up a good bbq sandwich. As long as the bread is good and you have some good sauce, it will be good. They do have good sauce by the way. I will give them that much.

Well, two years past and we tried it again. My wife got the rib plate, I got the bbq plate and we still just can't seem to like it. I don't know if it's just the rest. in our area or what, but every time we have eaten from there its been BAD.

I went to a Famous Dave's in Cedar Falls, Iowa and it was fabulous. There were six of us and everyone loved the food. In fact there was a waiting line 10 feet out the door when we left. I was told that was normal for a Saturday evening. The service was also great.

We have several here in Utah- Salt Lake City... We went once- no need to go back.... nothing special there, barely competent BBQ.

IMHO BBQ needs to be special. There is no such thing as "pretty good", or "OK"...If its not really competent, or good- I go elsewhere, or not at all.

I've had a lot of mediocre BBQ. It's amazing what restaurants can get away with.

I see the Famous Dave's ads on TV and my first doubt came when the mentioned their chopped pork BBQ. Shouldn't that be pulled pork?

Andy M. said:
I've had a lot of mediocre BBQ. It's amazing what restaurants can get away with.

I see the Famous Dave's ads on TV and my first doubt came when the mentioned their chopped pork BBQ. Shouldn't that be pulled pork?

Andy, I have to respectfully disagree with you on this. I don't think restaurants get away much at all. If people don't like a particular restaurant they don't come back. If enough people don't come back or the restaurant gets a bad reputation it doesn't stay in business long. Not every restaurant is going to satisfy everyone.

I normally form my opinion of a restaurant after actually going to it and giving it a try, not on others reviews or ads on TV.

Bubba:

Where I live BBQ restaurants are relatively new. Most people don't have enough experience to compare good vs poor BBQ. As I said before, I've had a lot of mediocre BBQ, not seen a lot of mediocre BBQ on TV.

The TV reference was to chopped vs pulled pork. My assumption is that they don't take the time to cook it enough so it's pullable. If there was a Dave's near me, I'd try it. At this point, I have to take what others have said.

In the interim, I make my own and it tastes better than any I've had in restaurants.

mudbug said:
Actually not, Andy. I happen to like pulled better, but chopped is perfectly acceptable BBQ fare.

I'll have to take you word for it, mudbug. The first time I made pulled pork, I followed a recipe that said it was done at 160 F internal temperature. It obviously was not pullable at that temperature. I had to chop it for sandwiches. I considered that a failure for me.

But Andy, how did it taste? As you know, HH does the lowing-and-slowing around here, so I can't comment on the internal temp thing with authority.

But I've eaten plenty of BBQ in Memphis restaurants that was offered as pulled, chopped, or "whole" (as in ribs and chicken parts).

The first (and only, so far) trip to Famous Dave's was very impressive to me! It was not crowded, and the service was awesome. However, those two go hand in hand. The manager was coming around to tables and talking to people and he heard nothing but praise from my family, and he said there usually is a line. We will be going back, soon, hopefully. I cannot say I am a seasoned BBQ taster, but I thought it was really good, and it was suitable to my tastes! I got a LOT of food for $9.99! Cornbread to die for too! Ok, hungry now. :ermm:

Andy M. said:
Bubba:
In the interim, I make my own and it tastes better than any I've had in restaurants.

I agree! I prefer mine as well.

I do a lot of pulled pork. Usually apply 4-5 hours of smoke and keep my smoker no higher than 205. I usually figure between 2 and 2-1/2 hours per pound, depending on amount and size of the butts. I pull at an internal of 190. My experience has been that pulling it any sooner than that it does not pull apart the way I like.

The big thing with this cut of meat, like brisket, is Low and Slow. Rush it by pulling it early or cooking at too high a temp. will result in disappointment.
Also, I don't wrap in foil while it cooks. I like the bark that forms on the outside. It's usually everyones favorite in my household.

Bubbagump said:
I agree! I prefer mine as well.

I do a lot of pulled pork. Usually apply 4-5 hours of smoke and keep my smoker no higher than 205. I usually figure between 2 and 2-1/2 hours per pound, depending on amount and size of the butts. I pull at an internal of 190. My experience has been that pulling it any sooner than that it does not pull apart the way I like.

The big thing with this cut of meat, like brisket, is Low and Slow. Rush it by pulling it early or cooking at too high a temp. will result in disappointment.
Also, I don't wrap in foil while it cooks. I like the bark that forms on the outside. It's usually everyones favorite in my household.

We agree on this!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom