Favorite chicken dishes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colby92

Assistant Cook
Just a little curious on some people's favorite chicken dishes (because there are countless adaptations!)

I would say chicken kiev, cordon bleu, and chicken in a sage-vermouth sauce are my favorites.

We eat a LOT of chicken on a regular basis since husband doesn't eat red meat, but I have several favorite chicken dishes: Plain roast chicken stuffed with lemon & fresh herbs & served with roasted root vegetables; Chicken Scarpariello (chicken thighs with sausage, artichokes, & rosemary); chicken (or turkey) cutlets done Piccata or Marsala style; roasted chicken drumstick/thigh quarters smothered with hot pickled cherry peppers & served over roasted potatoes; and definitely Coq au Vin (chicken braised in red wine with pearl onions & mushrooms) served on a bed of buttered noodles.

My all time favourite.

Brown the chicken peices in butter / oil combo. Remove to baking pan. Fry shallots in fat until browned. Remove to baking pan. Deglaze cooking pan with a heathly dose of Calvados. Cook until almost evaporated, Scrape into pan. Add some apples that have been peeled, cored, and cut into 6ths. Cook in oven until done. When done, remove chicken to platter. Add a bit of heavy cream, and scrape up all the good stuff!

Boneless & skinless thighs, battered and fried to golden brown and smothered in cream gravy with mashed potatoes and peas.

Runner up: Boneless and skinless chicken breast pounded to 1/4” thickness, cut into squares or “patties”, batter, fried and made into mini-sandwiches on brown and serve rolls with lettuce tomato and pickle. Kind of like a Krystal chick if you would.

My favourite is Roast chicken with all the veggies, Apricot chicken, lemon chicken, chicken Kiev, and of coarse chicken noodle soup. Just to name a few. We love our chicken here.Oh and a nice curry/chilli chicken is YUMMO with rice or noodles.

I'd have to say one of my favorites I call Pollo Poblano.

Sauce:
Roast poblano peppers and puree. Add puree to heavy cream with cumin, salt and pepper. reduce until thick.

Saute chicken breasts in a bit of oil with julienned red peppers and red onions. add the sauce while the chicken is half done to infuse the flavor and retain the moisture of the chicken. reducing the heat to prevent scalding.

When chicken is done serve with rice and beans (your choice, but I prefer frijoles charros and the rice tossed in lime and cilantro). Hearty, probably not healthy, but tasty nonetheless.

keltin said:
So you've never done chicken stir-fry or soup or chili or fried chicken "fingers"? Or are you saying a fictitious McD boneless and skinless?

I actually thought about this before I posted - I can't think of anything that I cook using a fresh chicken that is both boneless and skinless.

In a stir fry I use the skin, in a soup I use both the skin and bones (why would I want to throw away all that flavor and gelatin?). And, "chicken chili"? Please, you have to be kidding .... I'm from Texas ... I might make chili from game meats but not chicken or domestic turkey. And, I love a boneless stuffed chicken, but it's still wearing it's skin. As far as chicken "fingers" - I think the real ones are bone-in:

img_495488_0_6ba2f82b1eb40fc46c12df482cf31e92.jpg

I will stand by what I said, "I never met a chicken I didn't like ... except boneless-skinless." I never said I wouldn't eat one that was both bonless-skinless, did I?

TNT chicken marsala

My favorite EVER! Here's something for you boneless-skinless haters to try. Maybe it'll change your mind. :ROFLMAO:

Chicken Marsala

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
10 ounces sliced mushrooms (baby portabellas are good!)
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
5 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup marsala wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/8 teaspoon marjoram
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1/8 teaspoon ground sage
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Wash and trim chicken breasts to prepare for the dish. Pound out each chicken breast between saran wrap to 1/4 inch thickness. Slice chicken breast into strips or little chunks, whichever you prefer.

In a bowl, mix together flour, salt, and pepper.

Melt 3 tablespoons of your butter in a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Coat chicken pieces with flour mixture and lightly brown in skillet. Turn after 2 minutes or so, ensuring both sides are lightly browned.

Transfer the chicken to a shallow dish and cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap so that no steam can escape. This will seal the moisture into the chicken. Important step!

Add remaining butter to the same skillet. When the butter is melted, add garlic, thyme, marjoram, and sage. Add washed and sliced mushrooms to the skillet. Toss mushrooms so that they are coated evenly in the pan with the melted butter and spice mixture. Cook until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.

After the mushrooms are browned, return the chicken to the skillet. Add the marsala. Bring to a light boil for 5-7 minutes to cook off some of the wine and ensure that your mushrooms and chicken soak some up. Yum!

Add chopped parsley and chicken stock to the mixture. Bring to a light boil again. Then reduce to a medium–low heat to simmer the chicken until it is cooked through.

Last but not least, I thicken my sauce a little at the end with about a teaspoon of cornstarch. Serve immediately. This dish is great over egg noodles or rice. Enjoy!

I actually thought about this before I posted - I can't think of anything that I cook using a fresh chicken that is both boneless and skinless.

In a stir fry I use the skin, in a soup I use both the skin and bones (why would I want to throw away all that flavor and gelatin?). And, "chicken chili"? Please, you have to be kidding .... I'm from Texas ... I might make chili from game meats but not chicken or domestic turkey. And, I love a boneless stuffed chicken, but it's still wearing it's skin. As far as chicken "fingers" - I think the real ones are bone-in:

I will stand by what I said, "I never met a chicken I didn't like ... except boneless-skinless." I never said I wouldn't eat one that was both bonless-skinless, did I?

You’ve never had White Chili before? In a bread bowl it is to die for!

No chicken nuggets? No Chicken roll-ups? No Chicken Cordon Bleu?

So your stir-fry has pieces or fried chicken skin floating around? Actually, sounds yummy since I like eating the skin.

In my soups we don’t have bones, that is called stock. Sure, you could leave the bones in for flavor at the start and then dig them out but what does that have to do with the chicken that you actually eat at the table? Or are you saying your soup has bone-in pieces?

But as you said “I never said I wouldn't eat one that was both boneless-skinless, did I”……why would you eat something you didn’t like?

Last edited:
In a stir fry I use the skin, in a soup I use both the skin and bones (why would I want to throw away all that flavor and gelatin?).

One other thing, I just went through all of my cookbooks and searched the net, and I cant find one stir-fry recipe that says to use the skin of the chicken, let alone the bones. If you have one, I’d love to see it. I’m all for using all parts, so please share.

Typically, I use the skin for a chicken cracklin’ of sorts that is great for a salad or soup topper, but I’d love to have a recipe where it should be more fully incorporated. I’ve done cracklin’, corn bread mixes, and skin roll-ups or toppers, but would love more insight on this (uses for chicken skin).

Gimme some good hot wings!
Or fried.
a subset of chicken I really like: fried gizzards
Then again, hard to beat a nice beer butt chicken.
Eggs are good too, do they count? ;)

If I had to choose one, it would be good fried chicken.

One of my favorites is just a good pan-roasted breast. A lot of folks think this is the true test of a cook's skill, and I agree to a point. To transform a simple chicken breast into a soul-stirring meal, you need to sear and roast it literally to perfection. The perfect combination of carmelization and juiciness is required, as well as perfectly crisp skin. And no funny herbs and spices. Just some S+P, the chicken, and you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom