Favorite childhood foods/meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
The thread on fond memories got me thinking about fond food memories. Things like my Mom's hamburger and Pork & Beans, or my Great-aunt's Stewed cabbage and hot dogs, or her homemade virtini, or my Grandmother's Pineapple party cake or her Galumbki (cabbage rolls)

I have learned to make all but the Pineapple cake. :chef:

So what are your favorite childhood foods? Are they ones you can make or are they those foods that only now exist in you minds-eye?

Hmmm, I would say my dads navy bean and ham soup. Or my moms fried rabbit (assuming it wasn't shot by my brother in which case you were spitting out pellets all night long).

My Mom's Spanish Rice. It had ground beef in it and was flavored with tomato sauce and bacon grease. I would slather my bread with butter and but a big spoon of spanish rice on each bite of bread. Wish I could still eat like that! Great Yorkshire pudding too.

Wilted Lettuce.... Man that stuff was addicting. I know how to make it, I just never do.

Her Banana Cream pie... Fantastic.
Of course I could never match my mother on pies. We figure she hand rolled out over 10,000 pies for the little restaurant we owned. Now I do make a mean pie crust but her cream fillings were the best I have ever eaten with perfect marangue.

Wilted Lettuce.... Man that stuff was addicting. I know how to make it, I just never do.

Her Banana Cream pie... Fantastic.
Of course I could never match my mother on pies. We figure she hand rolled out over 10,000 pies for the little restaurant we owned. Now I do make a mean pie crust but her cream fillings were the best I have ever eaten with perfect marangue.

I have been known to kill for a good banana cream pie!

chicken patty with french fries on it, a little ketchup and mayo.

As far as what mum prepared, everything was awesome, for real. Was great having a chef for a mum looking back on it, but at the time, I though that is how everybody ate, so I took it all for granted.

I don't recall my pops cooking, unless you consider a p.b.&j or lemon curd on toast cooking, lol.

My adopted mom's fried chicken and gravy. Pure heaven. I've never been able to do it like she did and she's gone now.

Another thing I really loved was my best friend's mother's homemade pimiento cheese spread. It was sooooo good. Nice thing is, I can go to her house for some now 'cause she lives close by. Yeah!!

ETA
I was just reminiscing about the pimiento cheese spread with Buck. Told him that one of my fondest memories was getting to spend the night with my best friend, Suzanne. We'd get off the school bus at the bottom of their road and come into the house for some pimiento cheese sandwiches and a glass of fresh milk just from the milk house. They had a dairy farm, so I should add ''fresh'' milk to my list of memories.

Last edited:
My mom taught school every day, came home and made us a complete balanced dinner - always meat, starch, green vegetable, salad, dessert. She was not a fancy cook, but had very good natural instincts for cooking. She used to make something she called apple dumplings, but they were more like baked square turnovers - sliced apples, juicy syrup, incredibly flaky pastry. My sister and I have never been able to figure out how she did that...we're still looking for the recipe.

My Mom and Grandma were very good cooks, simple but so tasty. Her apple pie, mince and strawberry short cake were so good. I do not make very many pies, non baker here much. I cook a lot like her, but she was the best !! She canned awesome pickled beets !

My Mom and Grandma were very good cooks, simple but so tasty....

Mine were the same, good basic food, tasty, lots of it and always enought for family and friends. I still think some of the simple, good ol' recipes are the best.

fried eggs, french fries and black pudding ...
only thing she can cook .. but i never held that
against her ..

I was raised in a Slovenian/Croatian household, and still love the ethnic foods prepared by my parents & grandparents. Tripe stew...ham barley soup (and any soup they made)...fat crackling sandwiches on whole wheat when my grandfather made homemade Slovenian sausages and rendered the lard for baking...pineapple upside down cake...potica (honey and nut rolls)...strudels with dough stretched so thin you could see through it...and I could go on, and on, and on....Oh yeah, and the ice cold milk with cream on the top.

I make some of these foods today, and avoid some of them like the plague.:LOL:

Joe

After school stop for a kosher dill pickle out of the wood barrel. Mom's baked mac. And fried fish every friday with mashed potatoes, stewed tomatoes and corn.
Dad's killer sunday breakfasts and meatballs.
Grandma's jewish coffee cake. And great aunt's homemade pizza and pizza freets.(fried dough with powdered sugar)​

i loved Dad's spaghetti, Mom's swiss steak with mashed taters & tomato gravy, Pap's ham, cabbage, & potatoes, kidney beans with evaporated milk, & for lunch when i was very young, grilled cheese. Dad cooked us rabbit stew when i was 4, i still taste that! so delicious.
i love these foods today.

My mother wasn't much of a cook either but she made wonderful fudge. My dad made a wonderful banana pudding with a meringue on top. His hot dogs filled with cheese and wrapped in bacon were to die for.

My grandmother made the best Sunday fried chicken (plucked it herself and brined it) and mashed potatoes.

None of these are recommended today on a lowfat, low sodium diet are they? :)

My mom's chicken pie, grilled lamb chops and chicken curry.
She also made toast topped with creamed mushrooms and melted cheese for after a school snack which I loved - made it for myself a couple of times - didn't taste the same at all . . .

...she made wonderful fudge. My dad made a wonderful banana pudding with a meringue on top. His hot dogs filled with cheese and wrapped in bacon ...My grandmother made the best Sunday fried chicken ... and mashed potatoes.

None of these are recommended today on a lowfat, low sodium diet are they? :)

I say everything in moderation. If you treat youself once in a while it is okay. As long as once in a while isn't once a week or every day. ;)

Back
Top Bottom