Favorite things to cook for Breakfast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
I need some breakfast meals. I have a picky 6 year old that will only eat Poptarts, Cereal, or Pancakes for breakfast and after awhile pancakes get boring and just don't taste good. So what's your favorite meals to cook? Recipes if you got them, please!

Egg McMuffins are good, and can be premade and frozen, then nuked for a minute. Just cook an egg (I use a tuna can minus top and bottom for an egg ring) and assemble with Canadian bacon, a slice of American cheese, and a toasted English muffin.

Breakfast bars are good too, check out the archives here. I made some with ground flax seed and plenty of dried fruit and oatmeal. I keep them in the freezer too.

Last edited:
Thanks Dawgluver, that sounds delicious - i'll just have to try those.

Egg McMuffins are good, and can be premade and frozen, then nuked for a minute. Just cook an egg (I use a tuna can minus top and bottom for an egg ring) and assemble with Canadian bacon, a slice of American cheese, and a toasted English muffin.

Breakfast bars are good too, check out the archives here. I made some with ground flax seed and plenty of dried fruit and oatmeal. I keep them in the freezer too.

Peanut butter and banana on english muffins or toast, breakfast burritoes with egg, cheese & sausage with maple syrup for dipping or salsa for Mama(can make the night beforeand nuke in the am), frozen waffles spread with peanut butter or nutella and syrup, buttered cinnamon raisin toast served in a bowl with milk or cut up apple with cheese chunks.

I just saw a commercial using Pillsbury Grands biscuits to make mini pizzas. I would assume with sauce and cheese, could probably put other ingredients on as well. I would think you could freeze these too.

Here are a few of my Sunday Brunch favorites:

HUEVOS RANCHEROS SUPREMA

Ingredients (for 2):

4 small or two large corn or flour tortillas
4 Tbs butter
1 can of your favorite WHOLE beans.( No refried beans please. That's gross!)
4 eggs
1 pound Mexican chorizo
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup of your favorite salsa
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup guacamole

Instructions:

Place beans in a saucepan on medium heat. Thoroughly cook chorizo in frying pan, then add to the beans, mix well, and keep warm on low heat. Melt 1Tbs butter in cast iron skillet or frying pan. Heat each tortilla in skillet until lightly brown on both sides, adding 1Tbs butter for each tortilla. Place one large tortilla or two small tortillas side by side, on each plate. Spoon half of bean/chorizo mix over the tortillas. At the same time, place two eggs in a second frying pan with lid and keep lid on until eggs have a light white coating on yolks. Gently place eggs on top of beans, sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese on eggs, add 1/2 cup salsa on top of cheese, and garnish with sour cream and guacamole. Serve with Mexican style rice and small salad with favorite dressing, or a tropical fruit salad.

Eggs Barbacoa

Ingredients:

1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
6 tablespoons salsa, divided
2 tablespoons water
8 six-inch tortillas
Cooking spray
4 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup beef barbacoa (click for recipe or buy premade)
1/2 cup (2 ounces) queso fresco, crumbled
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
4 lime wedges

Instructions:

Place beans in a food processor; process until smooth. Combine beans, 2 tablespoons salsa, and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan over low heat until warm, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly coat both sides of each tortilla with cooking spray. Place 1 tortilla in pan, and cook for 30 seconds on each side or until toasted. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas.

Add water to a large skillet, filling two-thirds full; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer. Break 1 egg into each of 4 (6-ounce) custard cups coated with cooking spray. Place custard cups in simmering water in pan. Cover pan; cook 8 minutes. Remove custard cups from water. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over eggs.
4. Place 2 tortillas on each of 4 plates, and top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons bean mixture. Top beans with 2 tablespoons Beef Barbacoa. Place 1 poached egg on each plate so it overlaps both tortillas. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon remaining salsa. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons cheese, 1 tablespoon green onions, and 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro and garnish with lime wedges. Serve with Mexican style rice and small salad with favorite dressing, or a tropical fruit salad.

MEXICAN RICE

Ingredients:

1 cup long grain white rice
1 cup vegetable broth
½ cup beef broth
1 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes and zesty jalapeños, with juice
½ red bell pepper, diced
½ green bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, diced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1/2 tsp ground corriander
fresh cilantro for garnish

Instructions:

Pour vegetable broth, beef broth, and juice from petite diced tomatoes into measuring cup. Add water to make 2 cups, if required. Put all ingredients into rice cooker or medium sized pot, and cook as you would everyday rice. Place finished rice in serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro. If you're one of those people who think cilantro tastes like soap, use parsley.

Monte Cristo (serving size 1/2 sandwich)

Ingredients:

1½ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1½ cups milk
8 slices Texas Toast bread
1 lb Sliced ham
1 lb Sliced turkey
½ lb Sliced Swiss cheese
box of toothpicks

Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Beat eggs with milk; stir into flour mixture until smooth.

Make 4 sandwiches with Texas Toast bread, ham, turkey and Swiss cheese and cut in half diagonally, corner to corner. Secure each sandwich half with toothpicks. Dip each sandwich half in batter to coat. Place each sandwich half directly into the oil with tongs. DO NOT PLACE INTO FRYING BASKET!

Deep fry for 3 minutes, turning once, until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Remove toothpicks, plate, and dust with powdered sugar. Serve with a huge dollop of strawberry preserves. Add a sliced strawberry salad with crème fraiche, if desired

Cinnamon toast and scrambled eggs.... And if you're short on time, place the eggs between two pieces of toast, add some cheese and what ever else you like and you've got a breakfast sammich....:mrgreen:

For your young'en. dimple french toast is a great substitute for pancakes. Simply beat 1 large egg in a bowl with 3 tbs. of milk. Add a tbs. or so of sugar, and a tsp. of ground cinnamon. Whisk this until the cinnamon is spread throughout the batter. Dip your favorite bread slices into the egg mixture, flip, and dip again. Place onto a hot skillet and cook for about 3 minutes per side over medium heat. serve with your favorite breakfast meat and syrup.

If you want to get a little more involved, make the same thing, only cook two slices at a time. Flip one slice over, and put American Cheese slices on the cooked side. Lift the other piece of French Toast and place the cooked side on top of the cheese to make a sandwich. When the bottom side is done, flip and cook the top slice. Serve hot and fresh, with Maple Syrup.

A way to make your pancakes more interesting, is to add things to the batter, or even change the batter. Try this recipe.

Whisk together:
2/3 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbs sugar
Add:
3/4 cup milk
1 large egg
3 tbs. cooking oil.
Stir until batter is formed and cook over medium heat.

Great additions to pancakes include the following:
1. Blueberries
2. strawberry slices
3. banana slices
4. peanuts
5. M&M's
6. Whole kernel corn
7. cooked bacon bits
8. Cooked sausage bits
9. cocoa powder (with extra sugar)
10. chocolate chips (great when adding shredded coconut as well)
11. pieces of dried pineapple
12. pieces of dried mango
13. top with honey
14. make multi-grain pancakes, but you have to have 2/3's of the flour be wheat based flour.
15. Dutch babies. (do a search on DC for the recipe)

Pumpkin Waffles:
1 recipe Libby's Pumpkin Pie Filling
1 cup flour
2 tsp. Baking powder
3 tbs oil.
Combine and cook in a Belgian Waffle Iron. Serve with whipped cream and freshly sliced fruit.

Eggs.
Coddled Eggs on English Muffin
Heat enough water in a sauce pan to cover eggs with the shell on. Add 2 tsp. salt; and bring to a boil. Reduce heat until the water is still hot, but not moving. Gently break 2 eggs into the hot, salty water. Don't touch them. Just let the hot water gently cook them. When the whites appear to be set, gently giggle the pan to make sure the whites are set all the way through. You will be able to see them giggle if they aren't. When the egg whites are set, but the yolk is still soft, remove the eggs to toasted, and buttered English muffins with a slotted spoon. You can top this with a light cheese sauce if desired, but it's wonderful as is. The salt water perfectly seasons the egg, while the still water helps the egg stay intact.

Oh, the cooking in still water works wonders when boiling a dozen or more eggs at once, like for Easter eggs. Because the eggs aren't jostled around, you don't have to worry about creaked egg shells.

Seeeeeya' Goodweed of the North

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom