First Dinner of 2020... Whad'ja Have ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nothing spectacular. I was going to make jambalaya, but my friend that was going help me eat it got called away, so I'm just going to have a sandwich with that fresh bread I'm making, plus some salad, from all those greens and basil.

Yesterday's pot roast becomes today's beef stew with some added veggies. I also snagged a cold beef sammie for lunch w/ horseradish and mayo.

Leftover Chinese food for lunch - having chicken enchiladas with red chile sauce & grated habanero Havarti cheese for dinner.
A bit of heat to start off 2020 !

Traditional southern New Year's meal Greens, Cornbread, and Black-eyed peas.
Black-eyed Peas symbolize pennies, Greens dollars, and Cornbread Gold see a pattern or is it just me

Attachments

• DSC_0114.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC_0111.jpg
    DSC_0111.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC_0110.jpg
    DSC_0110.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_0113.jpg
    DSC_0113.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 95
We almost always have pork on New Year's day. I roasted two tenderloins, one with Jamaican jerk seasoning and one with Fines Herbs. We also had roasted carrots, and roasted potato cubes, steamed broccoli and garbage...I mean garden salads.
IMG_20200101_194921859.jpg

Traditional southern New Year's meal Greens, Cornbread, and Black-eyed peas.
Black-eyed Peas symbolize pennies, Greens dollars, and Cornbread Gold see a pattern or is it just me

I hear ya Bama..my mama was southern and I've had this every year I can remember. I do mine with ham hocks, but no cornbread this year.

Attachments

• P1010046.jpg
    P1010046.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 104
I hear ya Bama..my mama was southern and I've had this every year I can remember. I do mine with ham hocks, but no cornbread this year.

yes, I do greens with ham hocks most of the time however, on New Years I traditionally use smoked hog jowls. No, cornbread with greens? Lucky you are in California I believe greens without cornbread is against the law in Alabama.

Last edited:
We had a mid-day meal at our neighbors' New Year's Day potluck - they had ham, hoppin' John (a black-eyed pea dish) and collards. So for dinner, I made a few snacks - phyllo pastry cups with spinach and artichoke dip-type filling, pigs in a blanket with homemade honey mustard sauce and stuffed baked potato bites. I made a Black Forest trifle for the potluck.
0101201958a.jpg2020-01-02-09-59-15.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom