First thing you ever cooked or warmed up from a can?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really can't remember....I don't think I did any cooking at all until I was at high school and had home ec classes LOL!

Paint.

SierraCook said:
Pork and beans or spaghettiO's. My brother and I loved to have beans and hotdogs for dinner when we were kids. Plus, it was easy for us kids to make and inexpensive for the parents.

I ate alot of Pork and Beans heated up with chopped hot dogs or vienna sausages with lots of salt and pepper. Sometimes I would add a bit od yellow mustard to it.

First that I can remember right now had to be pancakes.
Tried to make them for my little brother and myself, but didn't know that I had to add a levening agent to it to make them rise a bit. Instead we had flat, thick, gummy pancakes. But what the heck, we ate them anyway.
Used a lot of syrup though.

Libby's spaghetti and tomato sauce (could not do this to myself again, today!), pork and beans and Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup...

Gotta be like 40 years ago, when my Mom decided the only way she was going to get her dream living/dining room furniture was to get a job and save it all up...leaving us "kids" to make our own lunches...sadly, she passed away a few years back, but all the furniture remains, being of "heirloom quality"...

Another benifit was that we "kids" learned not to be afraid of the stove, and we could "make" things we affected to like, at the time...

A "good memory", and thanks, Bang, for prompting it!

Lifter said:
Libby's spaghetti and tomato sauce (could not do this to myself again, today!), pork and beans and Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup...

Gotta be like 40 years ago, when my Mom decided the only way she was going to get her dream living/dining room furniture was to get a job and save it all up...leaving us "kids" to make our own lunches...sadly, she passed away a few years back, but all the furniture remains, being of "heirloom quality"...

Another benifit was that we "kids" learned not to be afraid of the stove, and we could "make" things we affected to like, at the time...

A "good memory", and thanks, Bang, for prompting it!

Your welcome. I still remember my grandmother letting me help her cook when I was about 8 years old. Those are some of my best memories.

Probably Chung King Chow Mein.

The can used to come with fried noodles.

Am I showing my age? I guess.

Have since spent many meals (often dinner every day) in Chinatown restaurants, and learned to read the Chinese menus (the English menus are not translations, and thanks to the Chinese friends who taught me the basics).

Alas, now find myself in an area where the Chinese restaurants serve only the overly sweet American/Chinese stuff.

So it goes.

But as a kid coming home from school, Chung King ruled.

I must be the only weird one here that has no recollection of the first food I made via canned foods.

I must be weird just like you amber. I have no idea what mine was. I have been making stuff as long as I can remember, but have no idea what I first made out of a can or otherwise.

campbell's pork and beans, with chopped up hot dogs. i LOVED this as a kid. i remember thinking that i would be a really good cowboy because i could eat it every day.

Probably scrambled eggs, probably when I was 5 or so. I started really early and used the stove without my parents knowing (at least that's what I thought). I would wake up like at 4 or 5 am and light a wad of newspaper using the boilers pilot outside and use this wad to light the stove.

Also I always hung out with my mom while she was cooking (which was hard, given how antisocial she is) and since she grew up in Louisiana and moved to Mexico when she married my dad her style was something really worth picking up.

Good question.. I really can't remember but, it must have been
soup of some kind. :D

I don't remember my first canned food, but I remember helping my mom in the kitchen a lot. When I was very little she'd let me help with pouring ingredients and putting cookies on baking sheets. The first cooking I ever did completely by myself was making Egg in a Hole from a Betty Crocker cookbook for kids that I got for Christmas when I was in 3rd grade. I read that thing cover to cover right away! I used to make the egg in a hole recipe for a snack when I'd come home from school. There were years (college, etc) where I didn't cook much but the love and interest was always there!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom