Food Origins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ishbel said:
Haggis said:
And Scots porridge - wonderful - but please, no sugar or honey or raisins in it please - only a little salt sprinkled on top with a very little amount of milk!

Argh, I remember when my Granny made it like that for me. Argh disgusting!!!

Give to me with a truckload of brown sugar and a small pool of milk around it :).

PHILISTINE :LOL: 8) ;)
I'm with Haggis! I like mine with butter, brown sugar, and milk.

:) Barbara

I have chest made of Scots pine - not too big - about 3 ft high x 4 ft long x 3 ft deep. It is a family piece dating from around 1860... it was used by an ancestor who was at Glasgow Uni studying medicine - and he was sent off to college with the kist (chest) filled with oatmeal to keep him going for the whole term... dried oats, I mean, not ready made porridge! How he managed to carry it astounds me.... it's heavy enough with nothing in it - but then tradition states that porridge makes you strong!

buckytom said:
what about lobsters. they look like sea cockroaches. did you know that they were snubbed by the rich a hundred years ago or so. only poor people ate them, and the rest were ground into fertilizer.

And if you were a prisoner, you were not fed lobster more than once a week as it was considered inhumane.

My husband claims the Scots became so good at making whiskey because of haggis. You need a few shots before you can eat it!!!!

Back
Top Bottom