Food Prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Kim and I went to Sam's today, and since it's located in a prosperous area, I can often find things there that I can't get in our little town. Today, I spotted some beautiful fresh ahi tuna steaks, and headed right for them. But they were $13.26 a lb!
Frozen sea scallops were around $11.00 a lb, beef tenderloin $16 something...brisket was $1.99, which was cheaper than the ground beef, at $2.89.

I always buy myself a treat, so I bought a $10.00 piece of smoked Gouda cheese, fresh haricot verts in two ready to microwave packages for $3.95, and a bag of 5 avocados for $5.86.
Kim did better. He bought two BIG (1.75 liter) bottles of Captain Morgans for $20.86 ea and a bottle Kahlua for $19 something.
He also got three sides of ribs, a brisket, a huge package of bacon, and brats, plus cooking supplies for his coming BBQ competition, like rolls of heavy duty foil, foil pans etc. I don't know what he paid for that stuff.

What kind of grocery prices do you all have where you live?

PS...if there's already a thread on this topic, please, somebody...merge me!

The kind that reminds me how lucky I am to be able to eat twice a day at work, on the company's dime.

very expensive. seems to still be going up and up. sea food, out of site. bout the same prices you quoted. and beef steak, just forget it. chicken still pretty reasonable if you watch for sales.

babe:cool:

I've been wanting to buy a whole chicken for roasting until I saw the prices......$8 to 10 something!! What happen to a whole chicken being only 3 dollars and something! I was sure maybe I was accidentally looking at the organic ones.....nope!

absolutly insane.. $ 1.49 for a head of loose head lettuce. And the farmers mkt. is no bargin either, $ 2.00 a box up to $3.00 a box and the boxes are not very big to start with. And forgit fish, when I was a kid fish was poor mans food not anymore
I wish our politicos would try to live on my ssi. They would not be very fat cats

I'm a pretty careful shopper. I'm getting a bit frustrated with the prices of pasta and other wheat products though. Sheesh. Used to be you could get pasta for $.89 on sale, now the same size is on sale for $1.99! Regular price is closer to $3

I'm more concerned about next year. That will be year 4 of a known 7-year cycle of food shortages/famine. Fortunately I've been stockpiling and canning food for a couple years now so the impact is not that great and I can concentrate on the specials, like when whole chicken was $0.67/lb. I went berserk canning it. What a mess to clean up though.

prices are crazy, and my salary went down last two years, everything is double, or a least 50% more than it was two years ago. no wonder, everything is fallowing gas prices. of course, drilling for our own oil isn't going to help, according to some people.

absolutly insane.. $ 1.49 for a head of loose head lettuce. And the farmers mkt. is no bargin either, $ 2.00 a box up to $3.00 a box and the boxes are not very big to start with. And forgit fish, when I was a kid fish was poor mans food not anymore
I wish our politicos would try to live on my ssi. They would not be very fat cats

You have that wrong. To eat HEALTHY, it cost lost of money. To eat cheaply, lots of pasta, cheep ground beef, ramon noodles ect.. make poor people fat. JMO

If you really shop around and re specific in what you need you can find some deals.

I ususally go to BJs (like sams, costco) and get 2 whole chickens for like $7 or $8. Cut them up, or leave then whole some times. and now got osme good food and saved myself a few bucks

chicken breats out here are like $4.29 a lb

crazy!!! thank god for my garden

prices are crazy, and my salary went down last two years, everything is double, or a least 50% more than it was two years ago. no wonder, everything is fallowing gas prices. of course, drilling for our own oil isn't going to help, according to some people.

If you believe the "no drill" faction, I have a nice, slightly used bridge that I'll sell you for cheap. If the supply never changes, the price will continue to climb, because SOMEONE ELSE is controlling the oil coming here. If we work towards energy independence and build our own supply right here, that's less we have to buy from someone else and the price is adjusted DOWN. It's the old supply & demand equation. The more you own the less you have to buy. No, it won't happen overnight, but a journey of a hundred miles begins with a single step. If we sit on our duffs the journey will never begin.

If you never work towards independence (in all areas of life), you will forever be at the mercy of someone else, and not everyone is a merciful as we are. How many people are happy to see their children move out and become independent adults? You bet it makes you feel good, not to mention that the food bill goes down and there's less laundry to do, and on and on and on. We can do the same thing as a country if we stop believing the control freaks who want you under their "benevolent" thumb. They do not want prosperity, because then they have nothing to promise to you, and you don't need them. If our politicians claim to be just like us, how come most of them are extremely wealthy and we're just getting along? If you believe them they have you where they want you, and that goes for all of the politicos on both sides of the aisle.

Wake up America and stop letting others control our destiny.

I digress....

I'm JoeV, and I approve this message.:)

i try to not go to grocery stores. Yesterday I went to town to get my haircut and would normally cruise through the worlds smallest Krogers, but I went straight home.

I do know feed prices, last year a 50# bag of oats were $8.00, now they are $12.50.

I'm a pretty careful shopper. I'm getting a bit frustrated with the prices of pasta and other wheat products though. Sheesh. Used to be you could get pasta for $.89 on sale, now the same size is on sale for $1.99! Regular price is closer to $3

I try to get everything on sale, so I'll be picking up ten boxes of pasta for $10 this week and not have to buy any for a while. I could really use a pantry....
Lat's see, St Louis style pork ribs for 3.99/lb; Western style (country cut) for 1.99; 4-8 0z blocks of Kraft Cheese for $10..... that's 1/3 of my shopping list right there :) whatever's on sale that I know I'll use up.
I'm passing up 5 cubes of Dr Pepper, which work out to $4.20/case, because I have a couple cases left from last time it went on sale, but at that price.... I may end up changing my mind :rolleyes:

I pretty much buy only what is on sale and stock up.

Prices are up here too... but what can you do? We have to eat so I have to buy.
The weather has been so bad around here that even the zucchini in the garden are refusing to grow. We have a few green tomatoes but I doubt that they'll turn red with out the sun. We did have a bumper crop of strawberries though. I'm making ice cream tonight!!

I try to get everything on sale, so I'll be picking up ten boxes of pasta for $10 this week and not have to buy any for a while. I could really use a pantry....
Lat's see, St Louis style pork ribs for 3.99/lb; Western style (country cut) for 1.99; 4-8 0z blocks of Kraft Cheese for $10..... that's 1/3 of my shopping list right there :) whatever's on sale that I know I'll use up.
I'm passing up 5 cubes of Dr Pepper, which work out to $4.20/case, because I have a couple cases left from last time it went on sale, but at that price.... I may end up changing my mind :rolleyes:

I pretty much buy only what is on sale and stock up.

I guess where you are has better stores and sales. The ones around here stinks.

I spend the summer in a "tourist" type town in northern lower Michigan (Traverse City) and am astounded at how high the food prices are here. I don't usually look at prices, I buy pretty much what I want but on occasion I take a look at my bill and realize how much more I pay here than in Las Vegas where I live. I walk out of the store with one bag and it's a 23 to 26 dollar bag. I sometimes shop at Sam's Club here in Michigan because there is no Costco and I discovered that Sam's prices are the same here as the are in LV. So that's comforting. :LOL: These prices are in effect all year so it's not that they're catering to the tourists in the summer.
Fortunately there are a ton of farmers' markets in this area so the prices there are very low for produce and fruit, but meat, poultry, fish and staples in the supermarkets are out of sight.

With prices the way thery are, I am glad I have no teens that will eat you out of house and home and still be hungry! The cost of eating is getting ridiculous. Everything has gone up, it seems like. I try to stock up when there are sales.

Back
Top Bottom