Food You're Burned Out On

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
Not sure what triggered this one, but I wonder what you don't eat anymore because you're sick of it (not because you've never liked it) for such reasons as listed below:

• Mom made it every dang week
  • Had to eat a lot of it when I was broke
  • Associated with stressful events
  • Stuffed my face and got sick
  • etc.
Here's a few of mine:

pasta salad
brown rice
most lunch meats

I still eat it, but I'm tired of it..

Pizza! We work long hours and many times we forget to unthaw something for dinner. So we end up getting pizza or some other take out. Were totally tired of it but continue to get it.

oooh, you're right, Robin. Same here, and that goes double for french fries.

Maybe if someone named MJ would make us one of his killer homemade pizzas.............

At the moment, chicken. We've just had too much of it lately. Actually I'm pretty tired of meat. I could easily go vegetarian for periods of time and avoid all meat but DH would probably die if we did:rolleyes:. I've been determined to not cook 2 different meals so I've been eating more meat than I'd like.

I can't eat Chex Mix--I got the flu once after eating it. DH would have an extensive list: peanut butter (which I still love even tho it's about all I ate when I was really little), most veggies, bologna and, at the moment, peas and peppers.

I could eat pizza every day (hint, hint MJ!:) )!

I can't think of anything... maybe, that's why I'm getting bigger and bigger every day.

We're making homemade pizza for dinner. You're all welcome to
come join us. I can't promise that it's as good as MJ's but, Paul makes a great dough and I do a pretty dang good sauce.

I am temporarily tired of BBQ, beans, and slaw, because I ate leftovers from the cook-out all last week.
My mother was always good about serving a variety of foods, and even when I had very little, I did the same.
I guess the worst time was when my husband and I were building a house, shop, and commercial greenhouse at the same time. Later, in was the same way in the spring, with him working a full time job as mine manager, then coming home and doing the bookwork, while I worked by tail off in the greenhouse. I got so tired of McYuck's and pizza!
We finally got a deep freeze, and in the winter, when I had time to cook, I'd make extra and freeze for a meal later on. I usually labeled, but not always, and sometimes when HB came home from work and asked, "What's for supper," I'd say, "Whatever's in that ziplock, dear". Kind of like a grab bag...:LOL:

I agree with the pancake bit. I can't eat Bisquick pancakes anymore, as we ate them every weekend for years.

Other than that, there's some entrees from a couple different Chinese restaurants that I just can't eat anymore, total burnout.

That's a darn good question...I think like most of us there are times when we eat a lot of a food (hmmm, say zucchini season!) and figure that we don't want to see that food ever again but end up going back and "rediscovering" it again in a while.

It's funny but I don't even know the name of one food that I ate a lot of as a kid and would be glad to never eat (or smell!) again. They were a very dry sort of hollow "bun" that we got from oodles of local Portuguese folks that we knew. They were sort of like a big, dry Yorkshire pudding only no where are good or tasty and I recall many breakfasts and school lunches with them - at some point I stopped eating them. Perhaps as an adult they wouldn't seem so bland but at the time I loathed them. If anyone knows what the name of these are I'd be curious to know :)

Mine would be food in general right now. I don't know what triggered it, but NOTHING I eat has tasted GREAT and WONDERFUL lately. It's just food. :( I've been trying to figure this one out for a while now. I'm trying to cook in smaller batches so that I don't get burnt out on whatever it is that I've cooked.

1. Pork 'n' beans and hotdogs - Mom made this alot and I did to when I was in college.
  2. Tamale pie - I had to eat a horrible recipe of tamale pie when I was a kid visiting another family's house. To this day I am not a big fan of recipes that include corn for this reason.:sick:
  3. Tunafish with a white sauce over toasted bread. See #1.
  4. Canned spinach - it was a popular vegetable for school lunches in the 70's.

I remember some very tough and tight times during my first jobs when the person that I lived with at the time and I ate a lot of this pasta....It consited of bbq sauce, ketchup, ground beef, fried onions, whatever shape pasta (or a combo of "end of the bag" bits) and whatever seasonings we had around. At first it was quite good but at some point I got so sick of it I couldn't even eat it any longer and have certainly never made it since! I think that sometimes foods we grow sick of also correspond with hard or emotional times in our lives...:angel:

if you are getting burned out on foods, you are not reading enough and trying enough recipes here. :chef:

i was just marveling at the list of guests scanning so many old posts of recipes and other info, at 4am est no less. it's pretty cool to think we are a resource of sorts. so every time you try something new, or tnt, and you post your results here, you are helping hundreds of people worldwide.

maybe even aliens.
is there a how to serve human-ity thread here?

SierraCook said:
  1. Canned spinach - it was a popular vegetable for school lunches in the 70's.

Oh man, I forgot about canned spinach! All though, this doesn't really qualify as food I grew tired of, as the smell of canned spinach nauseates me. Open a can, and I'm headed for the nearest toilet!

I never did eat canned spinach, so that isn't one of mine. I really don't eat canned veggies at all except green beans, refried beans, wax beans. Most anything that is available fresh, frozen or dried, I cook my own. I suppose the one I can think about most is frozen pizza. We did seem to eat a good bit of that when time was a problem. I'd rather do without now.

Cris has a big Apricot tree in the garden of his garage/storage. This past summer the tree became extraordinarily full with the fruit, even to the point all the branches were sagging to the ground. We collected bucketful after bucketful of apricots, made anything imaginable with them, jam, ice cream, juice, cakes, pies and then some. Yes we got a wee bit "apricotted out" after a while, there are still lots of them in our freezer, but it will take a little more time for them to look appealing to us again...

Only 3 things come to mind:

pizza- I ate it so muh as a teenager, that I have a really hard time eating it now

chicken noodle casserole- my mom made this all the time & I can't stand it now

peanut butter pound cake- I have made this so much that I can't even stand the smell of it. I still have to make it on occasion for hubby though.

Back
Top Bottom