Foodie Confessions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollyanne

Flour Child
C'mon, "Foodie Confessions" is the place to fess up. We won't tell :whistling
You know you've done a foodie sin and it's eating away at you
You're among friends...so do tell!

I confess...

...sometimes I like to fill the hole in the avocado half with ketchup and eat it right out of the shell (i can hear the ewwws)

...I use garlic salt (of course I prefer fresh garlic but I'm sometimes too lazy). My sister recently told me "shhhh, it's a BIG no-no in foodie circles" (what are sisters for)

...last weekend I had a dinner party and sauteed the fresh mushroom caps in olive OIL before stuffing them with hummus for hor d'oeuvres. No one could pick them up because they were so slippery. Don't do that :D
Like Julia Roberts said in "Pretty Woman", when dining on escargot in a fine restaurant, "Slippery little suckers aren't they"

...and I confess, i had to look up the spelling for "hor d'oeuvres"....again :blush:

My standard hors d'oeuvres starter is usually chips and dip. LOL!!! I do others too, but really, we all like it. Heh heh heh.

My confessions - they are numerous so I'll just do a couple.

1. I love Velveeta and Cheese Whiz and Kraft Dinner
2. My only brand loyalty is to Coke. I'm addicted.
3. I'm a food snob about baking, but still use the occasional boxed cake mix when I'm lazy.
4. My idea of "plating" is pretty primitive. As long as the food tastes good I don't care what it looks like on the plate. I only try to make sure everything isn't the same basic color on the plate.

Last edited:
I confess...

...I don't use fresh garlic. I like the organic minced in a jar. :shifty:

...When I'm tired and don't want to mess around in the kitchen, I'll pop a couple of cheap, 48 cents a piece pot pies into the oven. :huh:

...When baking turkey during a holiday, I'll pick off the crispy skin and eat it myself, telling others that it stuck to the foil, which I've already thrown away. :angel:

...for most of the year, the interior of my oven is a disaster. :blush:

Love these confessions :). Mine are:

I love to use canned tomatoes and black beans. I use canned tomatoes for a ton of stuff and will just smile when my older aunts preach to me how everything fresh is the best
Most Indian's I know will only make fresh vegetables and I will use frozen ones whenever I can. The end product, you will never know the difference what I used if I don't tell.
I use turkey meat whenever I can and mask it so well that my kids and husband will not know it's turkey at all. My trick is to use a fair amount of paprika to give the meat a darker color. Healthy for them and makes me happy
Like Alix I am not into plating and presentation. I just like the food to taste good.
I never follow a recipe or measure anything which could mean disaster at times
I love to experiment and do that when I have a huge party. I have again been lucky but could spell disaster if it did not work out
I love nestle toll house ready to bake cookies. I am a good baker and can bake things from scratch but my kids are at the age where they would just have instant gratification than toil with me to make cookies
I love semi home made concepts and hence I love Sams and Costco. I get stuff from there like ready made meatballs or pre cooked shrimps, guacamole etc and give it my own spin

Hmm let's see....

1. I like box mac-n-cheese and not "the blue box".
  2. I'll make tuna caserole with mac-n -cheese, tuna, peas, and potato chiips (but only for me)
  3. If I grill steaks and they are still undercooked when go to plate them I put them in the microwave to get time cooked and up to temperature (SO likes WELL done)
  4. If I'm really hungry after work i'll roll a sliice of bologna with cheese (I guess I'm also confessing I like bologna)
  5. I like the beaters when I bake. :innocent:

Ooh, confession time!
I like the cheap Ellio's frozen pizza much more than the other brands.

I confess...

...sometimes I like to fill the hole in the avocado half with ketchup and eat it right out of the shell (i can hear the ewwws)

no ewwws from me, Mollyanne.......try bottled chili sauce and a sprinkle of garlic powder with fresh ground pepper. Yummm

Hmmmm, trying to think.......does squirting Readi Whip into my open yap count??

no ewwws from me, Mollyanne.......try bottled chili sauce and a sprinkle of garlic powder with fresh ground pepper. Yummm

Hmmmm, trying to think.......does squirting Readi Whip into my open yap count??
Yep, my kids do it all the time. There I've told on myself. If I'm not in the mood to dirty a bowl,beaters and such the can appears as well as the plastic bowl form the freezeer. :LOL: I've others maybe I'll tell.
kadesma:LOL:

I am not at all pretentious about food, but I do like to make stuff from scratch as much as possible.

I use a cake mix for a certain torte recipe, since I have to slice it into thin layers, the mix has a more sturdy structure, making it easier. After copious amounts of whipped milk chocolate ganache and enrobing it in poured dark chocolate ganache, nobody has a clue that the cake layers are from a mix.

I keep jarred spaghetti sauce in the pantry, I have a store brand favorite that is excellent, and I use that when I run out of homemade stuff in the freezer.

I use mostly dried herbs. I can't be bothered with the expense or hassle of fresh for most recipes, I end up wasting more than I use. There are certain dishes where only fresh will do, but for the rest, dried. Garlic is mostly fresh unless I am making a rub, then garlic powder.

Gosh - I don't consider ANY of the previous posts "sins". Not a one. And I can cook from scratch with the best of 'em - from roast goose to a crocembouche.

But I too enjoy Zatarain's rice mixes, boxed mac & cheese, canned tomato products (now that's REALLY not a sin), etc., etc.

Frankly, I don't really think there is such a thing as a "sin" when it comes to cooking if you enjoy the end product.

Ill think of more later, but the first one that comes to mind is :
Everyone thinks im the greatest cook in the family and everything i make is great, but what they dont know is how many of my ' failures' wind up in the garbage, over the fence or fed to the chickens. If they only knew :)

We won't tell, larry ;) ...but take heart, you're not alone.
Benjamin Franklin said, "I didn't fail the test, I just found
100 ways to do it wrong". And look how great he was.
You're family is right :)

Ill think of more later, but the first one that comes to mind is :
Everyone thinks im the greatest cook in the family and everything i make is great, but what they dont know is how many of my ' failures' wind up in the garbage, over the fence or fed to the chickens. If they only knew :)

Sounds like you think you're the only one that happens to. Not so.

We won't tell, larry ;) ...but take heart, you're not alone.
Benjamin Franklin said, "I didn't fail the test, I just found
100 ways to do it wrong". And look how great he was.
You're family is right :)

I love quotes from Uncle Ben, as my family likes to call him. No kidding, he really was my (can't remember how many greats), Uncle!! Very cool, I think. :cool:

Her are my sins:
I use mostly dried herbs, canned and frozen vegetables and canned beans. I buy fresh for special meals and recipes. If I bought all fresh so much would go to waste as life often gets in the way of best laid plans. As far as baking, I love to search recipes and only keep and share the good ones. I just love telling people, eat another piece, it is made from scratch and has no preservatives so it won't keep long. hehehehe

"Dirty"? Because you like Spam? Boy, you guys must be a really high-falutin pristine lot.

I LOVE Spam - & will never feel "dirty" for admitting it. I particularly like "Turkey Spam" when it's available. Less salty than the original version, & one my non-red-meat-eating husband can also enjoy.

I also have a commerotative "Monty Python & The Holy Grail Spam-O-Lot" (from the Broadway theatre run) can of Spam that I've been saving until I can figure out a way of using it & then turning the can into a pencil holder - lol!!!

Back
Top Bottom