Foodie present idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
One of my best friends lives in London and I would love to buy him a foodie present. There is one stipulation--he is a vegetarian. What I was hoping to do was to send something uniquely American--like wild rice. In the past, I sent griddle cake mix and maple syrup. What would be a super cool present from America that is not easy to purchase in London?
Bueller? anyone!
Thanks, Pie "newbie from Ohio" Susan

I'd wait until maybe Kylie comes on - she could probably help. She lives over there and probably has a good idea of what we have that is hard to find over there.

Welcome to the site PieSusan!!!

This a tricky one because I have never been to America I don't know what you've got that we're missing LOL.

Liquid smoke is impossible to get here, though as a veggie not sure if he'd have a use for it. Interesting nuts and nut mixes would be good. We are only just starting to get Betty Crocker mixes here and they are made in UK and are awful, so things like that would be good, if he doesn't like them he can forward them my way......he he he he.

Vanilla wafers packed with instructions to make the little cheesecakes posted on the desserts thread is another idea, I have never seen vanilla wafers here.

I do know that I sent a friend some grits in Australia and and they were confiscated. :-( I don't know if the laws are as strict in England. Apparently not though. But definately worth checking into before a lot of money goes into the mailing. (I spent $67.00 to mail a box of stuff to Australia)

kyles said:
This a tricky one because I have never been to America I don't know what you've got that we're missing LOL.

Liquid smoke is impossible to get here, though as a veggie not sure if he'd have a use for it. Interesting nuts and nut mixes would be good. We are only just starting to get Betty Crocker mixes here and they are made in UK and are awful, so things like that would be good, if he doesn't like them he can forward them my way......he he he he.

Vanilla wafers packed with instructions to make the little cheesecakes posted on the desserts thread is another idea, I have never seen vanilla wafers here.

Gee, thanks for responding. All those ideas are good ones but I really wanted to send something with a bit more panache. I might just send my law school's sweatshirt (alma mater). In the past, I sent a pin from the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame and his daughters thought he was the coolest and borrowed it all the time. I have also sent griddlecakes from an 170 year old mill that still uses stones to grind their flours and local maple syrup.

The quarantine laws in Britain are nothing like Australia. Australia is quite draconian on anything that is related to plant, or has been near an animal. And fair play to 'wm we have so few food scares and hassles with things like foot and mouth and fruit fly. But they can get a bit over the top.

My tip when posting abroad is to be blatantly honest on the declaration slip, yeah people will know what's in the package, but it helps items go through unopened. If you are sending anything that may be misunderstood or misinterpreted by customs officials, include a description of all items and put it right on top of the parcel, should it be opened you have more chance of everything being put back again.

lol PieSusan - all our minds are thinking "food" LOL You didn't really expect us to think of something other than food, did you?? ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom