Foods you WANT to try...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
Just like the title of the thread says: What are foods you want to try, but have never gotten the opportunity to do so?

For those who HAVE tried food on other people's lists, please share your opinions on how they taste, how you like them prepared, etc. I'll start my list:

Fugu
North Carolina BBQ
Pierogies
Conch
Stone Crab
Monkfish
Bison
Authentic Belon Oysters

I had monkfish once and don't remember much about it. That should tell you something.

I've had bison in the form of a burger and the taste is not different enough from beef so you could tell the difference once the burger is loaded up with the usual add ons. It wold be interesting to try a bison steak so you could get a true taste.

Agree with Andy on the Bison Burger...I've had Bison Rib-eye twice...many moons ago.
As I remember...A little more chewy than beef (less fat)...a hint of "strange" (different) flavor but not offensive at all...I ate it all both times...probably would not buy it today unless the price point was very attractive...
I've had NC BBQ...It was good...Not as good as Mississippi but good...He Heee! (Watch Kitchenelf jump on this comment)
I'll get back to you on what I WANT to try....

Fun!

I have had conch and really enjoyed it. Once was in a fritter though and I could not really taste the flavor. The other time was in a stew in Jamaica and I really liked it a lot.

On my list, off the top of my head I would have:

Truffles
and
Durian

The weird things is I do not expect to like either of them. Never the less, I am really curious to try than and hopefully I will surprise myself.

I would also like to try fugu, but would not have thought of that if IC didn't mention it.

Hi GB, I would also like to try both truffles and durian :). I saw durian when I was in UAE. I was at a place called global village and they had south east asian fruit stall. I was with a few friends and they were not in a mood to try it so I had to pass on that opportunity :(

I would also like to try foie gras. I have heard so much about it from a friend who lived in France. He said it melts in your mouth. It's banned in US so I will have to make a trip to Europe I guess.

I would also like to try pizza in Italy. Some of my friends indicated it's the best and you can roll it and eat it like a sandwich. I have had good thin crust pizza here but I am sure it's great there.

Ironchef I have had monk fish a while back and I also can't remember anything special about it.

I'll start my list:Fugu
oh HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYILL no!I like living thank you:LOL:
NC bbq, I have had it a few times and without exception, thought I was in heaven. So good, on the other hand, you can keep Memphis bbq, thought it was uneventful.
There really isn't anything I can think of that I'd like to taste but haven't.
Oh wait, Beluga caviar, now that's one thing I'd love to try, I mean, no sharing, I want the entire little round can all to myself:huh:

stone crab is amazing .. can not put words to gether to
describe it .. just amazing ..
but i love crabs ..

Pierogies are great sauted in butter with lots of onions!

Spryte, and Ironchef, I make pierogies all the time....I was taught by my cousin's grandmother (the other side of her family) and love making them! However, I don't like them fried. I boil them and then sweat onions in a lot of butter making a sauce out of it. Then of course a dab of sour cream doesn't hurt.

My list of things I would like to try that haven't?
There isn't much besides truffles (I was away the day they had them at school).

I would also like to try foie gras. I have heard so much about it from a friend who lived in France. He said it melts in your mouth. It's banned in US so I will have to make a trip to Europe I guess.
If I am not mistaken, it was only banned in Chicago and that ban was overturned this week.

Just like the title of the thread says: What are foods you want to try, but have never gotten the opportunity to do so?

For those who HAVE tried food on other people's lists, please share your opinions on how they taste, how you like them prepared, etc. I'll start my list:

Fugu
North Carolina BBQ
Pierogies
Conch
Stone Crab
Monkfish
Bison
Authentic Belon Oysters

Since moving to VA in 1985, I've fallen in love with NC-style BBQ. I've said before, I'm a vinegar fiend, so I love the tart vinegary sauce and smoky flavor of the meat. Gotta have a toasted bun or the juices saturate it.

I had my first pierogies in PA a couple of weeks ago - excellent. They were stuffed with mashed potatoes and topped with caramelized onions.

We used to get conch fritters and stone crabs at a restaurant in the Florida Keys near my mom's house (when she had one there). Love the stuff - they served the fritters with a creamy mustard sauce.

I know there is food out there I haven't had, but I can't think of anything right off-hand. I'll have to hope someone else's response inspires me :)

Omigosh, ironchef! Of all the folks here, I would've thought you had tried monk fish by now.

It's awesome. Buck and I used to vacation on Hatteras Island, NC. Fished for monk fish. Ugly little critter, but yummy. Dense and tasty.

Under the right conditions it tastes like lobster.

As a matter of fact, I think it's billed at the "poor man's lobster."

I've steamed it and served it with drawn garlic butter just like lobster.

There are other ways to prepare it, but we love it lobster-style.

As for what I'd like to try. Truffles. Not the chocolate ones. The ones the piggies look for.

truffles
anything tartar
anything carpachio style (watching way toooo much IC!)

AND... if I ever get rich enough... a bottle of Crystal Champange. Anyone want to donate to the cause? I'll share it with my bubbly friends! You know who you are!!! (Ahem.... Kitchenelf!)

Last edited:
I've had both Bison and pierogies. The Bison is very much like beef, but leaner, and a slightly gamey taste.

Born and raised in the midwest, right on Chicago's doorstep, and pierogies are an institution here. Unfortunately I'm just not a fan. It's def. a peasant-style food, Eastern European in origin, and the pierogies that I've had have been much other Eatsern European food I've had, a little on the heavy side. Normally I don't mind this, but pierogies just don't work for me. They're supposed to be great with sauteed mushrooms.

On my list of things to try:
toro
rabbit
softshell crab
caviar

There's tons of specific dishes I'd love to try, but I don't think we have the space for those here.

On my list of things to try:
toro
rabbit
softshell crab
caviar

All of those are very good. With toro, there are two that you'll see: o-toro and chu-toro. O-toro is the fatty part from around the pelvic fin. This is the most prized and the most expensive. Chu-toro is the fatty part from the end of the o-toro towards the tail. O-toro from bluefin tuna is like the kobe beef of fish. No seasoning needed.

Last edited:
Omigosh, ironchef! Of all the folks here, I would've thought you had tried monk fish by now.

I've seen it on menus at restaurants that I was eating at, but there was always other things that I wanted to try. In Hawaii or on the West Coast, it isn't feasible to bring it in because of the cost, so I've never had the chance to work with it either.

One of my favorite fish. It's texture is comparable to halibut, except it's oilier and has a different flavor. It's best prepared pan seared or steamed. Whole Foods carries it, so check them out if you have a store in your area.

Thanks for the recommendation.

We have a Whole Foods around here somewhere. Will wait until I have special guests to buy some.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom