Fools Day Dinner - 4/1/2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenspeed

Executive Chef
Brace yourself for some crazy news stories and press releases (even crazier than the last few years!).

Dinner will be mussels and chorizo, Dutch oven bread, and a salad. I'm making two small loaves of bread, one with diastatic malt powder and one without. I've read some good things about the malt powder, and I'm about to find out what effect it has.

I'll see what I have the spoons to make later today. I'll start making a salad soon. A salad goes with just about anything.

I have a New York Strip Steak de-frosting
a Russet Potato (the smallest one I could find-I just now weighed it and it's .87lb!) that will go into the oven - I think half of it will be for Home Fries in the morning
some Bacon to top the Potato and then more for breakfast tomorrow
some fresh Asparagus for the grill, along with the Steak
and something else, maybe, I'm not sure, we'll see
:chef:

Lobster Thermidor a Crevette, with a mornay sauce, served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines, garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top... and spam.

CD

Lobster Thermidor a Crevette, with a mornay sauce, served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines, garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top... and spam.

CD

:LOL: Good one, Casey. April Fools Day. :ROFLMAO:

Margherita galette with country fried potatoes , butter poached eggs and blistered, homegrown, truffle salted shi-she-to peppers (spelled phonetically, shi-shi-to is correct spelling and hyphenated to avoid bad word censor). I got "lucky" and apparently got the only spicy 1 in the bunch.

Attachments

• 2019-04-01 19.05.58.jpg
    2019-04-01 19.05.58.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 135
Bacon was the main attraction at the dinner table tonight. SO had a big salad topped with a generous serving of bacon while I had a BLT on toasted scali bread.

Good sounding and looking dinners tonight.

It was drop dead gorgeous out at the grill tonight with spicy Mojo marinated chicken wings. The meal was completed with steamed broccolini and spicy Mexican street corn (Elotes)

• 32 oz frozen corn, thawed
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1.5 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
  • 5 oz queso fresco, grated or crumble

1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F
  2. Pour the corn into a large casserole dish. Mix in the mayo, sour cream, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and half of the queso fresco until combined.
  3. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and the sides begin to bubble.
  4. Sprinkle the remaining queso fresco over the casserole and top with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!

Last edited:
We had leftover burgers from the other night on homemade buns from the freezer, alongside leftover Israeli couscous with grilled peppers and onions. Tasty :yum:

Good sounding and looking dinners tonight.

It was drop dead gorgeous out at the grill tonight with spicy Mojo marinated chicken wings. The meal was completed with steamed broccolini and spicy Mexican street corn (Elotes)

• 32 oz frozen corn, thawed
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1.5 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne (optional)
  • 5 oz queso fresco, grated or crumble

1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F
  2. Pour the corn into a large casserole dish. Mix in the mayo, sour cream, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and half of the queso fresco until combined.
  3. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and the sides begin to bubble.
  4. Sprinkle the remaining queso fresco over the casserole and top with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!

I love the idea of making elotes as a casserole, Kayelle. This will be going on our menu soon.

Yesterday I made homemade yogurt and homemade lemon curd .
I will be making homemade strawberry/rhubarb compote tomorrow.

Chicken wings and jasmine rice for dinner last night.

Back
Top Bottom