Fork and Chopsticks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
In the Far East they use chopsticks. In the West we use a fork. Two methods of getting food into your mouth, but they are very different from each other.

This got me wondering, are there any other methods or tools out there that do the same thing as a fork or chopsticks, but are different than both of them?

Fingers come to mind. Also, pieces of bread or lettuce, etc used in conjunction with fingers to get food to your mouth.

I guess what I am looking for Andy are toold that people have contructed for the sole purpose of moving food to mouth. Uni-taskers as Alton would say ;)

Actually, Thais are more likely to use a big spoon than chopsticks. My set of Korean flatwear consists of a big spoon and very thin chop sticks. Remember, always use your RIGHT hand when eating in India or the middle east. The left hand is used for personal hygene.

Yes I have just recently heard about Thais not using chopsticks that much. Tht is actually what got me thinking about this subject.

GB said:
Yes I have just recently heard about Thais not using chopsticks that much. Tht is actually what got me thinking about this subject.

That's common throughout Southeast Asia. Filipinos, Cambodians, etc. are more likely to use a large spoon. The only SE Asian country that uses chopsticks with daily eating is Vietnam. It's more the Northern Asian countries (China, Japan, Korea) that use chopsticks as their main tool to eat with.

I remember old people, usually men, who ate with their knives. My great-grandpa could balance beans on his. He used his bread to soak up the juice and scoot the beans up onto the knife.
He also poured his coffee out of the cup and drank it out of the saucer.

I think he was born somewhere around 1875. My grandmother Snarr, his oldest, was born in 1900.

Back
Top Bottom