Four Course Banquet Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
Had to prepare a banquet dinner for 70 people tonight for a wedding. The bride as well as several members of the party do not eat beef, pork, or fish so the menu was somewhat limited:

First Course:

Risotto of Duck Confit and Chantrelle Mushrooms with Asparagus

Second Course:

Composed Salad of Shrimp, Butter Lettuce Hearts, Avocado, and Papaya

Entree:

Deconstructed Chicken Curry

Dessert:

Mocha Mousse in Dark Chocolate Cup with Espresso Creme Anglaise

Attachments

• duckconfitrisotto.jpg
    duckconfitrisotto.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 231
  • composedsalad.jpg
    composedsalad.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 181
  • chickencurry.jpg
    chickencurry.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 210
  • mochadessert.jpg
    mochadessert.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 195
Do my eyes decieve me or is that a spoon shaped cookie resting on top of that fabulous looking dessert? :w00t:

The food looks amazing... you are very talented at what you do!

IC,
considering the limitations, this is one beautiful menu. It all looks wonderful, lucky girl chose the right Ironchef.

kadesma:)

I wish I could take all the credit but I can't. The risotto, salad, and dessert are all options on our banquet ala carte menu. The only one that is "mine" is the chicken dish which we added earlier this year as one of the chicken entree options. I forgot to mention the dressing for the salad. It's a champagne-tarragon vinaigrette which is served on the table.

I really like the way you share all this high-end stuff with us, ironchef. Most of us don't cook this way much, but it's cool to watch a pro in action and get inspiration.

I still think that the majority of those that have any aptitude in cooking can create meals at home that are passable imitations of those found in many fine dining restaurants. I think the problem is that many people don't have the time or the budget maybe to really experiment with different things, or they don't have access to someone who can teach them.

IC, thanks for the presentation.

What really got to me was your comment:

'The bride as well as several members of the party do not eat beef, pork, or fish so the menu was somewhat limited.'

How in the heck do you, or anyone, for that matter, manage to put together a dinner for 70 people or so that everyone will, or can, eat?

Out of 70 folks, unless you are serving the American Beef Council or Folks for the Eating of Shrimp, or, well you get the idea, there has to be a vegetarian, or vegan, or some folks who have very specific likes or requirements in what foods they will eat.

We, when invited to an event, just eat. And if there is something we don't care for, just eat around it and are grateful for the food.

If for any reason we cannot abide the stuff, let us say they were serving raw brain sandwiches on Wonder bread with mayo, might just leave a bit early and find a place to chow down on the way home.

But are still grateful that the kind folk invited us.

But today it seems that everyone has their own particular tastes, and express them.

And it seems those folk expect the hosts to cater to them.

It must make your job tougher than it should be.

Sorry, am not sure if this is a rant, or a question.

But thanks again.

looks beautiful, and hope the calories stay in the computer.

I have gotten into serving course meals...it gives my friends a little breather between parts of the meal, adds to conversation, allows slower eaters not to feel rushed, etc and makes everything less cluttered. A favorite for me is a bruscetta starter of some type, a composed salad often with a sauteed fish item, a light pasta, a main stew or braised meat, a cheese and fruit finnish. real nice

Auntdot, thankfully neither I or any of the other Chef's don't have to really deal with the guests unless they have requests that the Catering or Banquet Managers don't have the answers for, and it looks like there will be continuous back and forth questions from the guests. Usually, the Catering Manager sets the menu along with the guest and they'll ask us if the guest has any special requests that we may have challenges accomodating.

If they are having a function in the restaurant, usually the restaurant manager, the Director of F&B, or Assist. Dir of F&B will speak with the guest directly and arrange the menu. Most people with parties of 40 or more opt for a banquet room because the tables can be arranged more to their liking. If they have it in the restaurant, they are more or less at the mercy of the restaurant's floor plan. We can move stuff around to a point but if it gets really out of hand, we'll make the guest buy out the entire restaurant because it will impact the other diners. They usually then opt for the banquet room since it will cost more to buy out the restaurant at that point.

Robo410 said:
looks beautiful, and hope the calories stay in the computer.

I have gotten into serving course meals...it gives my friends a little breather between parts of the meal, adds to conversation, allows slower eaters not to feel rushed, etc and makes everything less cluttered. A favorite for me is a bruscetta starter of some type, a composed salad often with a sauteed fish item, a light pasta, a main stew or braised meat, a cheese and fruit finnish. real nice

That's a really nice idea, Robo. Wish I could acclimate the diners I usually serve to a service like this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom