Fresh spinach warning (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One California Company Pinpointed So Far

Contamination pinpointed to one California company so far. This news item just posted:

"Tainted spinach traced to California
6 minutes ago

Federal heath officials said Friday that they have traced a nationwide E. coli outbreak to a California company, which has agreed to recall its bagged spinach products.
One person has died and nearly 100 people others became ill in the outbreak, which has spread to about 20 states.
The Food and Drug Administration said late Friday that the outbreak had been linked to bagged spinach products distributed by Natural Selection Foods, based in San Juan Bautista, Calif.
"It is possible that the recall and the information will extend beyond Natural Selection Foods and involve other brands and other companies, at other dates," said Dr. David Acheson, the chief medical officer with the FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition."

Fresh Spinach Warning

I don't have any spinach in my frig and after looking at all your comments I don't plan on buying any.

I haven't heard anything about this warning in the news but thanks.

Jill and Jolie

We've decided to trash our bagged spinach that's in the refrigerator. There've been two cases of E.coli in our area. One, rather serious and the other somewhat milder, so we though it best to dump the bags for now.

Too bad, because we eat a lot of fresh spinach. Although, there doesn't seem to be any news regarding bulk fresh spinach. I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow, but I have a feeling I won't find any spinach in the produce section, bagged or otherwise. Oh, well. This, too, shall pass.

Latest news this morning was not to purchase loose bulk fresh spinach either, because many if not most retailers purchase it in large bags before binning it. It's probably all been pulled & not available anyway.

This whole thing just keeps getting worse & worse, & the $$$$ & harvesting jobs endangered or lost in California is mindboggling. And let's face it - even when/if they pinpoint the reason behind this & resolve it, it's going to be a long, long time before people begin to trust the fresh & fresh bagged spinach & salad products again. Yesterday when I was at the supermarket, the bagged salad section was jampacked with produce & no one was even walking near it, let alone buying it. I did see lots of people with heads of lettuce & other greeens though - just nothing bagged.

Shpj4 - you live in California where all this is happening & haven't heard anything at all about this yet? California is one of, if not "the", largest producer of fresh spinach, & this is a huge blow to the industry. Even the BBCAmerica (from England) news has had it headlined. You need to get out more; that or get more news shipped in.:LOL:

shpj4 said:
I don't have any spinach in my frig and after looking at all your comments I don't plan on buying any.

I haven't heard anything about this warning in the news but thanks.

Jill and Jolie

Wow! You really need to switch to a different channel. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom