Fri. Dinner Jan 23, 2015 What's cookin'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am combining a few leftovers; the lentil and sausage soup with some au gratin potatoes and some extra cheese sauce that didn't make it in the potato dish. Maybe a small square of corn bread too.

The last of a roast chicken warmed over with hot sauce, topped with a drizzle of blue cheese dressing, a scoop of cottage cheese and a scoop of Fire & Ice salad.

Kayelle, I'm curious to see how you make out with the dried ravioli. I used to make soup with Barilla's Cheese & Spinach Tortellini. Day one it was soup and the leftovers turned into a pasta casserole because the tortellini drank all of the broth. Both meals were very good , but I was surprised the first time it happened. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

9k=

DH and I discussed Thai takeout. Thinking Tom Kha soup and pineapple fried rice, both with shrimp.

The last of a roast chicken warmed over with hot sauce, topped with a drizzle of blue cheese dressing, a scoop of cottage cheese and a scoop of Fire & Ice salad.

Kayelle, I'm curious to see how you make out with the dried ravioli. I used to make soup with Barilla's Cheese & Spinach Tortellini. Day one it was soup and the leftovers turned into a pasta casserole because the tortellini drank all of the broth. Both meals were very good , but I was surprised the first time it happened. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

9k=

Thanks for the reminder AB. I've had that happen with other soups with noodles etc. I think I'll cook up the little ravioli separately, and dish them up into the soup bowls without adding them to the pot. That way I can have "soup" again for leftovers. ;)

Cold, gray, cloudy, and misting. Gonna grill some bone-in chicken breast, and clean out the refrigerator. Chocolate Ice Cream later for sure. Maybe an oatmeal cookie.... NO raisins.

Hello to Uncle Bob ;)

Early dinner for us. Neither of us were very hungry so we Split a Juicy Lucy ( molten cheese stuffed burger) at a neighborhood burger palace along with their version of a "small" order of fries.

Yeah, nice to "see" you Uncle Bob and it's good to know you still have a hankerin' for chocolate ice cream!:LOL:

Our meal tonight will be shared with Glenn's son and his little 2-year-old guy. I smoked a mess 'o piggy earlier in the week, so we'll have western Kentucky smoked pork barbecue sandwiches on homemade hamburger buns. I have had a craving for macaroni and cheese so I filled the crock-pot to the top with mac and cheese made with cheddar, provolone and fontina. Yummarootie! I sampled it before it was set to cook.....

We'll fill in the cracks with slices of Famous Dave's Devil's Spit pickle chips. Iced tea will wash it down and a nice slab of southern buttermilk pie with whipped cream will be dessert.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must have missed something, GG....hope you get out of the hospital soon, not a fun place to be!

Joey...that looks good. :yum:

I just stuffed a bell pepper with seasoned ground beef, rice, garlic, and tomato sauce and it's roasting in the oven. Dinner will be that, and yet another avocado on the side. :ermm::)

Oh my gosh GG!! Feel better and come home soon!! You have places to go and things to do next month!!

Hi Uncle Bob!!!!!!! That dinner looks delish S&P!!!

My Italian soup turned out really good.

Oh geez, GG. Feel better soon, get home and eat some real food!

Nice to see you drop by, Uncle Bob. Don't be a stranger...we have enough strange ones around here. ;)

Picked up fried cod and bay scallops on the way home from grocery shopping. Made a quick batch of coleslaw, baked some knock-off Tater dots, and called it supper.

I made a purely local recipe. It is very much a peasant recipe using cheap cuts of meat and dried beans and onions all of which can be bought cheaply. It is of the same family as Cassoulet and the American Boston Baked Beans.

The recipe is called Beanjar. Traditionally each family had their own recipe and their own way of cooking it, some cooked in their furze oven while others who lived within walking distance of their local bakery would put the beanjar ingredients into their bean crock, seal the top and take it to the bakery. At the end of his bake the baker would pop the beanjars in his oven and the residual heat would cook the beanjar. It then had to be reheated after collecting from the baker the next morning. It was traditionally (and still is) served with crusty bread and butter (bought from the baker when collecting the beanjar.)
It is good Winter stodge and is famous in the Island for causing your bottom to make loud noises :LOL:. Mention that you've had beanjar to any Guernseyman and he is likely to say something like "I hope I don't get stuck in a lift with you."

My recipe is;

500g butter beans.
500g haricot beans
2 large onions
Pork hock (was traditionally a pigs trotter)
Piece of brisket or shin of beef with marrow
Herbs, usually thyme, parsley and bay
Water or stock
Salt and pepper.

Soak beans overnight. Discard soaking water and rinse beans.
Replace water and boil beans for 5 to 10 mins. Discard water again. (you can miss out this step but it makes sure the beans are ok to eat.)

Get large casserole dish.

Chuck in the pork and beef.
Add beans.
Roughly chop onions and throw the lumps of onion in.
Add herbs.
Add pepper.
Stir to mix.
Add water or stock to cover beans at least by half an inch.
Put in oven at gas 1 for about 8 hours.
After 4 hours, take bones out of meat and roughly chop up meat to spread around beanjar.
Stir and add water to ensure a good consistency.
About an hour before serving add hot water if necessary and add salt to taste.

Raisin size bombs of fire!

I bought a bag of pequins yesterday at RD. I made a quick sauce that called for 2 tbsp blitzed in a spice grinder then soaked in hot water. This is the list of ingredients.

2 tablespoons Pequin Chile, freshly ground in a coffee or spice grinder
1 cup Hot Water
1 14.5 ounce can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 8 ounce can Tomato Sauce
1/2 Onion, diced
1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
1 clove Garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Sugar
Pinch of Mexican Oregano
Salt to taste

I used the sauce for the tacos. This stuff is deadly!:yum: First thing when I got up this morning, I had several spoonfuls.

Last edited:
I bought a bag of pequins yesterday at RD. I made a quick sauce that called for 2 tbsp blitzed in a spice grinder then soaked in hot water. This is the list of ingredients.

2 tablespoons Pequin Chile, freshly ground in a coffee or spice grinder
1 cup Hot Water
1 14.5 ounce can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 8 ounce can Tomato Sauce
1/2 Onion, diced
1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
1 clove Garlic, minced
2 teaspoons Sugar
Pinch of Mexican Oregano
Salt to taste

I used the sauce for the tacos. This stuff is deadly!:yum: First thing when I got up this morning, I had several spoonfuls.

Sounds good Craig, but you should have made this a few days ago on Penguin Awareness Day. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom