Friday 11/11/2016 What's cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trout (as it's Friday, fish day), with almonds and cooked in butter and lemon juice, broccoli and new potatoes, then fresh fruit, very popular in Italy as a second. A nice bottle of locally produced white wine (produced just up the hill from where we are, nicely cellared, and zero transport. We just walk up the hill and back to get it). Grape variety: Cortese, indigenous to these parts. Nice and fruity and light.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Finished up making a 4 gallon batch of mozzarella! My first time. It was a great success, which I'll be snacking on the rest of the day. Spaghetti squash w/butter S&P. Tonight, a meatloaf, upon request of the DH.

Holy buckets, Bliss! That's a lot of mozzarella! Sounds delicious. I will send you my address just in case you need help with dealing with it.

Debating here. We're heading to an out of town John Prine concert tonight, and the restaurants near the venue will probably already be booked, so I'm thinking we may hit up one of our local Mexican places on the way out of town.

Last edited:
Me and my daughter are home alone, I miss the men a lot but they are having guys night. We had nachos topped with cheese, tomato sauce, chicken, tomatoes and creme fraich and we ate it while watching Doctor McStuffin, ah perfect girls night.

Dawg, ha ha. 4 gallons of milk = 4 lbs of cheese. Lotsa Pizza. I hope it freezes well.

Meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy, and green beans simmered with Penzeys Fox Point seasoning.

My mom bought 10 pounds of potatoes for a dollar at the farmers market in Michigan - she couldn't resist the price, but of course, she can't eat it all herself. It's already starting to sprout, so I'm going to make a big batch of mash and freeze some.

Chicken Tiki Masala in the pressure cooker.

The great news is I found both a good fish market and great indian grocery, both of which are open most weekdays and mainly supply to the restaurant market.

The Indian Grocery has an incredible selection.

The fishmonger has stuff he keeps in stock, but also is sourced that he can get me most anything with a few days notice.

So Tiki Masala with all fresh spices.

For desert, I made a cheescake this morning which is chilling, and I'm likely going to make a pomegrant apple glaze for it, 'cause why not.

I love Friday dinner, it is usually payday for me, plus I usually have the day off.

TBS

Tucking the geese in early - feeding the dog early. Changing and heading to a friends place.

She is supplying the duck - lucky me gets to spatchcock it and loan her my roasting pan. (her new oven didn't come with one... WHAT!!! she left the old one with her ex. lol) I'm also to bring the recipe and the kitchen shears, hmmm.

She's doing other vegies, not sure what. I've also done a Leek Gratin to take. I'm surprised how liquidy it is - argh, hope it doesn't spill in the van!

Sorry, not homemade.

Ohh... shucky darns! :( I was hoping.

I will say I really enjoyed Cosco's thou - they were really good.

The chicken one I did NOT enjoy. Too many pieces of gristle were popping up. Which is too bad because the flavouring was nice.

She is supplying the duck - lucky me gets to spatchcock it and loan her my roasting pan. (her new oven didn't come with one... WHAT!!! she left the old one with her ex. lol) I'm also to bring the recipe and the kitchen shears, hmmm.

I just bought a duck to do this week, probably Tuesday if it is thawed.

I am out of duck fat in my freezer and need some for a couple of my thanksgiving recipes. Duck is a horrible mess to make, but I love getting that jar of duck fat from the drippings, so I cook it once a year.

Generally I don't spatchcock it, just stuff it with apples and lemons. I also still haven't found my kitchen shears from the move, Beloved Wife just does not understand that they are different than scissors and keeps on taking them instead of the perfectly reasonable alternative of getting actual scissors either from my desk drawer or my craft box. I think she grabbed them to use to cut tape in the move, and so they stayed out and didn't go in the kitchen stuff box.

I mean they look and work like scissors, but man. I think I'm going to have to issue an edict that she just doesn't touch my knife block. She was using my chef knife to cut cardboard the other day, took me a half hour to fix the edge on it. Where there as a box cutter in the tool drawer RIGHT IN THE SAME COUNTER.

She's a great wife, but doesn't understand knives and such. Just looks for the first thing vaguely knife shaped. Uses the wrong thing for the wrong task, cuts herself on the finger by accident, and complains that I keep my knives 'too sharp'. Sigh.

Complaining over, I just wish I knew where my kitchen shears were.

TBS

It does freeze well. My frozen home made mozz would have no changes upon being thawed.

Congratulations on your success!!
BETH, thank you! Did you freeze it in a ball or container shape, or did you shred it first? I'm not sure which way to go.

Homemade?? I'm looking for a good mushroom filling for ravioli :ermm:

Pretty please with browned butter and sage?

I've got a recipe for a pasta topping that would be great for ravioli too, just zapped in the food processor. It's mixed fresh mushrooms, dried reconstituted porcini (and some of the strained liquid), thyme, onions, cream and parm if I remember correctly, S and P of course. I'll dig it out if you want it. I've just eyeballed it the last few times I've made it.

Back
Top Bottom