Friday 12/2/2016 What's on the menu?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Leftover venison stew. I went to the bank to deal with Estate matters. Thought it would take 20 minutes. 2-1/2 hours later...I was exhausted. Reminder if you have not taken care of your will, please do. Dieing without a will leaves someone with a whole lot of stuff besides the grief to handle. If you live in a province or state where you can do a holographic will, please do that for the people you love. I would give everything in my life to have my brother back--the hole he has left in my heart and life will never be filled. I miss my life friend so very, very much.

Leftover venison stew. I went to the bank to deal with Estate matters. Thought it would take 20 minutes. 2-1/2 hours later...I was exhausted. Reminder if you have not taken care of your will, please do. Dieing without a will leaves someone with a whole lot of stuff besides the grief to handle. If you live in a province or state where you can do a holographic will, please do that for the people you love. I would give everything in my life to have my brother back--the hole he has left in my heart and life will never be filled. I miss my life friend so very, very much.
Good advice CWS. I'm so sorry for your loss. Really, that is just so sad to lose a sibling, I can't imagine how hard that is for you. Take care of yourself.

Thanks, blissful. My brother would have been 59 on Nov. 4th. Too young. I have been left dealing with his estate and caring for my parents. When my Dad asked me what I wanted for Christmas, I told him I wanted all the estate matters taken care of because I didn't want to deal with this again. I have enough stuff.

And make sure you leave usernames and passwords. My brother did all of his stuff electronically and had passwords on everything and no keys to for those. Really? Could you have made life more difficult. This has made my life a nightmare. No paper, no passwords, no usernames, I still have to deal with that. Nightmare.

So if I seem a bit short-tempered, I am living in level 3, maybe 4 or 5, of Dante's Inferno.

Last edited:
My gosh, CWS, you are dealing with such a nightmare. A huge hug for you, and many thanks for all of the great suggestions. You never realize what really needs to be done until it's too late to do it.

My gosh, CWS, you are dealing with such a nightmare. A huge hug for you, and many thanks for all of the great suggestions. You never realize what really needs to be done until it's too late to do it.
I wear blinders. There are so many things that don't matter anymore. Priories shifted when my Mom had her stroke in January and then my brother died. I focus on what I have to deal with and everything else just doesn't matter. I joke with my Dad I am earning my inheritance. Wish I weren't.

Good advice CWS. I'm so sorry for your loss. Really, that is just so sad to lose a sibling, I can't imagine how hard that is for you. Take care of yourself.
You never want to be the one to find the body of s/one you love. I have had nightmares since then. It was awful and having to call my Dad and tell him his son was dead was horrible. Dealing with the coroner, etc. alone was awful. The coroner asked me which funeral home I wanted to use--there are at least 200 in Ottawa. I had no idea--I wasn't expecting to find my brother dead. Horrible, horrible, horrible. I don't know that there will be anything in my life as horrible as that. He had been dead for at least two weeks--awful, awful, awful. And then I had to empty his apartment and arrange for his cremation--alone. Horrible. Sorry if I am short with folks on DC. I have been trying to get through a really hard time. Don't wish this on anyone.

I don't know but when my friend Lisa made her fried rice, she used Sun Luck seasonings and it was delicious.

I ate about half of mine and I don't know if I'm going to eat the rest. It's not so much bad tasting as tasteless.

You never want to be the one to find the body of s/one you love. I have had nightmares since then. It was awful and having to call my Dad and tell him his son was dead was horrible. Dealing with the coroner, etc. alone was awful. The coroner asked me which funeral home I wanted to use--there are at least 200 in Ottawa. I had no idea--I wasn't expecting to find my brother dead. Horrible, horrible, horrible. I don't know that there will be anything in my life as horrible as that. He had been dead for at least two weeks--awful, awful, awful. And then I had to empty his apartment and arrange for his cremation--alone. Horrible. Sorry if I am short with folks on DC. I have been trying to get through a really hard time. Don't wish this on anyone.

I'm sorry you had to go through this. My mom had to deal with getting my grandmother in a nursing home just a couple weeks after my dad died, then she had to clean out my grandmother's apartment. My grandmother just threw a fit and refused to help my mom in any way possible and my mom just finally walked away and said let the county come take her, because she couldn't deal with it anymore. Having a loved one die is bad enough without having to deal with everything else besides.

Getting back to dinner, I've never heard of a seasoning mix for fried rice. I mean, it's just rice, oil, veggies and maybe a bit of meat, soy sauce, maybe a bit of salt, and optional sesame seeds.

What ingredients would be in a seasoning mix?

I don't know but when my friend Lisa made her fried rice, she used Sun Luck seasonings and it was delicious.

I ate about half of mine and I don't know if I'm going to eat the rest. It's not so much bad tasting as tasteless.

Of course, now that I'm reading the recipes, I really didn't fry the rice at all, just mixed it with the seasoning. I also didn't add any salt, pepper, garlic, or soy sauce. I didn't have a wok, sesame oil, green onions, carrots or peas (not that I'd add those last two anyway).

Maybe I'll play around a little with what I have and then see what happens.

Last edited:

I'm so sorry, CWS. I can't imagine what that must have been like.

Getting back to dinner, I've never heard of a seasoning mix for fried rice. I mean, it's just rice, oil, veggies and maybe a bit of meat, soy sauce, maybe a bit of salt, and optional sesame seeds.

I'm guessing dried garlic, ginger, onion, maybe chives, and salt.

We went shopping last night and decided to have dinner out, at a place called The Egg Bistro. I thought it was primarily a breakfast place, but they have a nice dinner menu, too. I had chicken francese, which I had not had before, with angel hair pasta and a salad. It was really good. DH had a chicken dish (can't remember what exactly) with roasted potatoes and sautéed squash. He also had a cup of seafood stew. The waitress offered us both samples of the stew and it was really tasty. No pictures - it was too dark.

Originally Posted by buckytom

I'm guessing dried garlic, ginger, onion, maybe chives, and salt.

IMO, no on the dried garlic, use fresh. Besides the above, green onions, red onion instead of yellow, hot chili garlic oil (or sriracha or something similar), hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce or tamari, sesame oil, rice vinegar. Now I am really wanting fried rice again but we'd already planned our meals for next week and gone shopping before it was mentioned.

IMO, no on the dried garlic, use fresh. Besides the above, green onions, red onion instead of yellow, hot chili garlic oil (or sriracha or something similar), hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce or tamari, sesame oil, rice vinegar. Now I am really wanting fried rice again but we'd already planned our meals for next week and gone shopping before it was mentioned.

I thought rodentraiser was referring to a store-bought packet of seasoning mix, so I was guessing at what might be in the packet.

When I make it from scratch, yes, I agree with your suggestions. I especially love oyster sauce :wub:

I introduced my wife and son to bibimbap at the Myung Dung Noodle House here in Ft. Lee, NJ a few years ago. It's the best anywhere around.

I remember explaining it to them, then talking about how great that last bit of crunchy rice is that gets crisped on the bottom.

Now they take their friends there fairly often when I have to work, and explain the intracacies of bibimbap like old pros, lol.

Oh, but for a hot, earthen bowl of it right now...

Back
Top Bottom