Friday 5/5/2017 What's on the plate and in the glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sure is "chili weather", Andy! It looks like we'll be getting a lot of chili weather for a while. Therefore, chili is in my menu plans for next week. BTW, beer bread goes really good with chili. :yum: Then again, so does cornbread.

Yesterday's plan for Italian sausage/peppers/onions/mushrooms/potato will be happening today. I have a couple of Kaiser rolls that haven't been put to use yet, so I'll make garlic toast out of them. I have one roasted garlic head in the veggie drawer, so I'll make my butter spread with that, lots of finely grated Parma, and minced fresh parsley.

We are having stone crab claws with mustard sauce and Carrabba's mussels in lemon butter sauce.

WOW! Everything sounds most ONO that's delicious in Hawaiian ;) )

The high here in the middle of the desert, Gateway to the Grand Canyon
is going to be an extremely large baker Potato that I found in the veggie bin
already baked, YAY!
I'm going to heat up some Zippy's Chili without beans,
serve that atop the baker with some shredded cheese and sour cream for moi.
I figure this should be soft enough for my DH, who's mouth is still not up to more solid foods (hard for him to chew).

When ever we go to California visiting family, I make a special trip to buy frozen Zippy's Chili, both with and without beans (DH likes it w/out).
The last time we went home to Honolulu, I packed an extra BIG bag and stuffed it with all kinds of goodies from home. I brought back 8 boxes of Chili :yum: in a big soft sided cooler bag----it made it fine and still frozen when we arrived back in the middle of the desert :cool:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 165
My feet are killing me tonight, so we're going for the easy dinner: PF Chang's frozen sweet and sour chicken with added frozen sugar snap peas. All right, I'll make some fresh rice ;)

Looks lovely, Ross! Great sounding dinners as usual so far and I'm sure there'll be more. I love this thread. :yum:

This afternoon's dinner here will be a steamed artichoke and a steak sandwich from the leftover grilled rib eye from yesterday. Artichokes are really filling for me, so I'll probably just hack a sourdough roll in half for the steak sandwich.

Med, are those claws the same as "jonah crab claws"? SousChef came home with some that were on sale. I know you have stone crab claws often but this will be a first for us. Any advice?

Ya K, there's this retro restaurant in Phoenix, very cool-Rat Pack-sort of joint, that serves Stone Crab Claws with a dish of melted butter and a dish of mayo... it's delicious, and very spendy but worth every morsel.

Med, are those claws the same as "jonah crab claws"? SousChef came home with some that were on sale. I know you have stone crab claws often but this will be a first for us. Any advice?

No, jonas are deep water crab and the meat is a little coarser and not as sweet, rich tasting. Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad, just not stone crab

All righty then! I looked up your mustard sauce recipe for the Jonah claws Med.
Yummy dinner tonight!
Here's her recipe for anyone interested..

This is SUPPOSEDLY Joe Stone Crabs recipe that the Miami Herald printed many years ago.

1 cup mayo (we just use Kraft regular)
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp regular A-1 sauce
2 tbsp heavy cream
2 tbsp milk
3 tbsp Coleman's dry mustard (use Coleman's, it doesn't taste right otherwise)
pinch of salt

Place dry mustard and salt in a small bowl than add cream and stir until dissolved, add other liquid ingredients (except milk), mix well, stir in mayo. If it's too thick, add the milk, you can use more or less depending on how thick you want it. Cover and chill for at least an hour so flavors can meld.

Last edited:
Glad they were good and you enjoyed them. Like I said, they aren't bad, just not stoneys. That mustard sauce is great. Craig's brother liked to use it for pretzels too.

WOW! Everything sounds most ONO that's delicious in Hawaiian ;) )

The high here in the middle of the desert, Gateway to the Grand Canyon
is going to be an extremely large baker Potato that I found in the veggie bin
already baked, YAY!
I'm going to heat up some Zippy's Chili without beans,
serve that atop the baker with some shredded cheese and sour cream for moi.
I figure this should be soft enough for my DH, who's mouth is still not up to more solid foods (hard for him to chew).

002.jpg

All went well!
DH was able to consume all of this HUGE potato, YAY! :clap:

We don't do pretzels, but the leftover sauce would be good for SC's sandwiches, or with some olive oil added, for a good salad dressing. Nice sauce.

All the pictures look great!

Last edited:
We had a "pub night". We shared a large plate of nachos and then had ABTs. We had Margaritas
fiesta.gif
and then some German beer, 'cause we ran out of tequila.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom