Friday,9-26-14, what are you bellying up to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
In answer to Rocklobster's question from yesterday's dinner thread. Pork belly with a rub of fresh thyme, S&P, then roasted at high heat for a bit, then down to 350 for a bit on a rack. Then transfer to a bed of apple slices, sliced onion and fresh sage to roast a bit longer to cook the apples/onions, which will be a side. Then will make gravy with pan drippings and cider. Roasted baby tri-color potatoes to go with. Trying a new recipe.

We weren't able to get decent pork belly until just recently.

For BT, had some Korean style a few weeks ago with gochujang and steamed yeast buns with a cucumber relish. Yummy!

Last edited:
I am at the farm and brought a big pot of cabbage roll soup out. Tonight I'm adding some more tomatoes, cabbage, hot sauce. I know--boring, but I was feeling lazy and thought a big pot of soup would be the perfect thing to feed me all weekend with extra stuff from the garden (salad, etc.).

Weather-wise it's more like summer here than fall and I tried to resist the urge to cook something autumn-like for supper. I'm weak! So...I threw in about a pound of soaked great northern beans, a couple of pounds of smoked turkey necks, lots of chopped onions and garlic, some chopped tomatoes, and gonna let 'er rip all day long. We'll have cornbread to sop up the goodness. Iced tea to wash it down and fresh raspberry cake as our sweet.

It's just too beautiful a day to spend it inside and I've been creating things to do outside for that reason. Later, I have a feeling I'll jump into the pool, clothes and all.

Life is good!

I'm making a soup to eat this weekend; pinto beans, smoked ham and bone, onions, garlic, carrots, celery, bay leaves, hatch green chili's.

Yesterday I made my first tortillas to go with the soup.

DH came home and asked "what are those?"

Not the correct question.

Trying out the new cast iron pizza pan GF bought for me. Bacon, sausage, mushroom, onion, and red pepper. I am famished. Will probably eat too much and regret it around 3:30 in the morning but, oh, well, bring it on!!

I just watched this TV program not long ago
and they were touting the virtues of spearfish vs line fishing.
When we were in Newport Beach California,
on the menu was spear-caught-swordfish,
couldn't really taste a difference to be honest.

Was taste the point of using spear-caught fish, or sustainability? Some methods of line fishing catch things other than what's intended, which often end up being thrown back and they die unnecessarily.

Trying out the new cast iron pizza pan GF bought for me. Bacon, sausage, mushroom, onion, and red pepper. I am famished. Will probably eat too much and regret it around 3:30 in the morning but, oh, well, bring it on!!
She's ready. I'm an old schooler when it comes to pizza. Wasn't sure how the thicker pan would work. The cast iron took a while to get the crust brown but it did come up nicely. I'll give you the review of the taste test in a while.....

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
We're taking the easy way for dinner tonight. Domino's pizza, with pepperoni,, veggies and extra sauce. We grew up on Domino's and I love their sauce and garlicky crust :yum:

She's ready. I'm an old schooler when it comes to pizza. Wasn't sure how the thicker pan would work. The cast iron took a while to get the crust brown but it did come up nicely. I'll give you the review of the taste test in a while.....
Looks good. Where'd the GF find the pan (what brand is it)?

I took the tasteless, leftover beef roast from a few days ago and turned it into hot beef sandwiches. Sauteed lots of mushrooms, added wine to the gravy, and heated the meat. Plopped it onto sourdough bread. Tasty! Steamed the last of fresh broccoli and heated the last few wax beans from a couple days back. Cold or snot, I've got to grocery shop tomorrow. :neutral:

That's a beauty of a pan Rock!

We had my favorite standby from Trader Joe's. Orange chicken with added slivers of red bell pepper and green onion. I always add extra orange juice to the sauce packets along with a tablespoon of Gochujang. Served over steamed Jasmine rice. Who needs take out?

We went to one of our local steakhouses. Ordered a porterhouse to split, which we usually do, then after a while we were told they were out of porterhouses. We split a ribeye instead. It was decent, but with a lot of outer fat that should have been trimmed, IMHO. Nicely seasoned and tasty though.

Back
Top Bottom