Friday Night Fare - December 12, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did someone say spaetzle?
OH MY GRAVY ALL OVER!
Is there any leftover?
@Kayelle, could you please post that that proper device
(and your recipe) for making spaetzle?
Mine just don't come out like my Greatgrandmother's ...
MMM, with pork roast, pan gravy and a green of some sort, yeah baby! I'm ALL in!

I'll be glad to post everything I've learned about Spaetzle tomorrow Kgirl.
I'm so happy about it turning out better than it ever has for me tonight.

We're planning on Bacon Wrapped Scallops with chipotle mayo. That's about as far as I've gotten so far. Might do a spinach salad with it.

What's on your table today?

Scallops sound so good right now. But I have learned to eat them only in my own home. I can taste the iodine in them, and when I do I have to spit the scallop out real quick. I am highly allergic to the iodine in them. Of all the seafood I love to eat, scallops are my favorite, but also are most likely to have the highest iodine levels. Spitting them out in a restaurant or in someone's home is just gross. :angel:

Scallops sound so good right now. But I have learned to eat them only in my own home. I can taste the iodine in them, and when I do I have to spit the scallop out real quick. I am highly allergic to the iodine in them. Of all the seafood I love to eat, scallops are my favorite, but also are most likely to have the highest iodine levels. Spitting them out in a restaurant or in someone's home is just gross. :angel:

Weird. If you are allergic, I'm not sure why you would eat them at all. I've also seen you mention eating cod and cod cakes in some of your postings. You do know that cod has virtually the same amount of iodine ounce for ounce as scallops, right?

Weird. If you are allergic, I'm not sure why you would eat them at all. I've also seen you mention eating cod and cod cakes in some of your postings. You do know that cod has virtually the same amount of iodine ounce for ounce as scallops, right?

I know and I can taste the iodine immediately. I always do a taste test on the tip of my tongue. The iodine has an off taste to me. The first time I ever had a reaction was about 45 years ago. I could believe that it was the scallops that made my arms and legs along with my face swell up. I had been eating seafood all of my life and loved it. Fortunately my husband was with me in the ER and he told them what I had eaten for supper. The second they heard scallops, they gave me the antidote. The swelling was gone in five minutes. The doctor told me I was lucky my tongue didn't start to swell. So now I check every piece of seafood. Oddly enough I can handle it, I just can't eat it all the time. :angel:

I'll be glad to post everything I've learned about Spaetzle tomorrow Kgirl.
I'm so happy about it turning out better than it ever has for me tonight.

OK kgirl and GG.....this is my new equipment.
Amazon.com: Kuchenprofi Spaetzle Lid & Scraper in 18/10 Stainless Steel: Pasta Makers: Home & Kitchen

Yes, it's slightly expensive but I've fooled around with makeshift and inferior equipment long enough. The next best thing to this that I've used is a metal pie pan drilled with holes. This however, fits on the top of my large pot of boiling water and the included scraper is perfect.

I've also learned that it's better to make your Spaetzle early in the day, or even the day before making the main dish. That way, only the last step of browning it in butter remains to be done at the last minute.

I've also learned that following this superior recipe and method exactly, has given me the best results ever!

Spaetzle Recipe by Wolfgang Puck

I know and I can taste the iodine immediately. I always do a taste test on the tip of my tongue. The iodine has an off taste to me. The first time I ever had a reaction was about 45 years ago. I could believe that it was the scallops that made my arms and legs along with my face swell up. I had been eating seafood all of my life and loved it. Fortunately my husband was with me in the ER and he told them what I had eaten for supper. The second they heard scallops, they gave me the antidote. The swelling was gone in five minutes. The doctor told me I was lucky my tongue didn't start to swell. So now I check every piece of seafood. Oddly enough I can handle it, I just can't eat it all the time. :angel:

A few years back my BIL was rushed to hospital with problems breathing. Doctor told him he was allergic to some shellfish.

He replied that he couldn't be as he'd eaten shellfish all his life. The Doc explained that this could be, as 999 times out of 1000 his body could deal with the allergy but it is that 1000th, 10,000th 1,000,000th time that the allergy could flare up and cause him problems.

OK kgirl and GG.....this is my new equipment.
Amazon.com: Kuchenprofi Spaetzle Lid & Scraper in 18/10 Stainless Steel: Pasta Makers: Home & Kitchen

Yes, it's slightly expensive but I've fooled around with makeshift and inferior equipment long enough. The next best thing to this that I've used is a metal pie pan drilled with holes. This however, fits on the top of my large pot of boiling water and the included scraper is perfect.

I've also learned that it's better to make your Spaetzle early in the day, or even the day before making the main dish. That way, only the last step of browning it in butter remains to be done at the last minute.

I've also learned that following this superior recipe and method exactly, has given me the best results ever!

Spaetzle Recipe by Wolfgang Puck

So many mahalos, thanks Kayelle.

I put that spaetzle scraper in my Amazon wish list and saved the recipe to my fav's in my Chrome.

I do have two questions in regards to Wolfgang's recipe.

Do you use the peanut oil specifically? My greatgrandma used melted butter, I think.

Second, 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated Nutmeg, wow, that sounds like alot, to the point of being over powering, no?

So, lastly, do you have any photographs of this outstanding dish?
I'm so visual, I love pictures, especially of food. I can remember things much better if I see it.

I use to train folks on how to use different task-specific computer software, back in the day when we first started to do such things. I found for most people, they understood and retained the information better with visual-aids.

A few years back my BIL was rushed to hospital with problems breathing. Doctor told him he was allergic to some shellfish.

He replied that he couldn't be as he'd eaten shellfish all his life. The Doc explained that this could be, as 999 times out of 1000 his body could deal with the allergy but it is that 1000th, 10,000th 1,000,000th time that the allergy could flare up and cause him problems.

I didn't touch seafood for more than a year after my first reaction. Now I give all seafood a test. If I can detect the iodine in it, then I leave it alone. It is not worth the risk. I have found through my own foolishness that each time I have a reaction, it is stronger than the one before. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom