Friday - Somthin's Fishy in the Kitchen -8/28

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Grilled Swordfish Steak (Short Marinade of EVOO, Garlic, Coriander and Sweet Paprika) , Variegated Carrots, Chopped Collards, and Deli Potato Salad (Yuk!)...

Swordfish, Grilled.jpg

We had leftovers and a fresh, green salad with blue cheese dressing. Good thing that was the plan. We're expecting thunderstorms tomorrow, so, unsurprisingly, I have a migraine. I was feeling a bit off when I made the salad, but at least the scintillating scotoma didn't start until I sat down to eat.

Thai pork meatball soup with glass noodles and dried mushrooms. One of Craig's faves. Purchased spring rolls.

Attachments

• 2020-08-28 19.06.37.jpg
    2020-08-28 19.06.37.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 90
Grilled chicken wings and Thai pickled cucumbers.

Attachments

• 69A1F826-CE9A-405B-A8BE-192EB5FD0D06_1_105_c.jpg
    69A1F826-CE9A-405B-A8BE-192EB5FD0D06_1_105_c.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 71
Himself grilled bacon and cheese burgers from Aldi. We had them on Kaiser rolls alongside orzo salad and fresh corn from our closest farm stand. Had to settle for white since they were out of butter and sugar.

IMG_20200828_212647829.jpg

Homemade Chicken Veggie soup over brown rice topped with fresh grated Italian cheeses.

I used the Sous Vide on a couple of 2" thick pork loin chops that had been brined before freezing. They seared beautifully on Wilma the side burner while I used the grill basket for a marinated mix of zuccini, onion, mushrooms, bell peppers. My mushroom onion orzo side dish finished the meal.

On a whim, reached out and snapped up a box of Blue Water, Tempura Haddock. Have no idea why, probably been 40 years since my last purchase!

So that was supper, 2 small micro'd potatoes, half a roma tomato, lime sorbet and tea bisquits.

One small piece foil - garbaged, 1 plate, 1 fork, 1 spoon washed.

How easy was that!

Pan fried rock cod, coated with flour, egg wash, and crushed jalapeno saltines; steak fries; cole slaw made with Bolthouse Farms yogurt coleslaw dressing; and a 2017 Green Eyes Austrian Grüner Veltliner.

Last edited:
Grilled Swordfish Steak (Short Marinade of EVOO, Garlic, Coriander and Sweet Paprika) , Variegated Carrots, Chopped Collards, and Deli Potato Salad (Yuk!)...

View attachment 42658

I love swordfish, especially grilled. You just have to eat it sparingly as it's high in heavy metals as an apex predator, like albacore tuna is. A good rare-grilled ahi Tuna, coupled with grilled swordfish, not that's what I call a gourmet meal. And speaking of gourmet, this site shows a little different way to remove the meat from an uncooked lobster tail. The meat can then have the mud vein removed, and be put back in the shell whole for grilling, or cooking under the broiler, or be minced, with butter and garlic added, then stuffed back into the shell fr cooking. The shell makes a great serving device.

Think grilled swordfish, and ahi tuna kabobs, with lemon-butter sauce, and grilled lobster tail in the shell. Serve with some roasted rosemary spuds, and a fresh salad. Yup, sounds good to me.;)yum:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I love swordfish, especially grilled. You just have to eat it sparingly as it's high in heavy metals as an apex predator, like albacore tuna is. A good rare-grilled ahi Tuna, coupled with grilled swordfish, not that's what I call a gourmet meal. And speaking of gourmet, this site shows a little different way to remove the meat from an uncooked lobster tail. The meat can then have the mud vein removed, and be put back in the shell whole for grilling, or cooking under the broiler, or be minced, with butter and garlic added, then stuffed back into the shell fr cooking. The shell makes a great serving device.

Think grilled swordfish, and ahi tuna kabobs, with lemon-butter sauce, and grilled lobster tail in the shell. Serve with some roasted rosemary spuds, and a fresh salad. Yup, sounds good to me.;)yum:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Was there supposed to be a link?

I had something fishy in my kitchen last night, but it was from dried shrimp, in Szechwan Dry Fried Green Beans, which was actually made with mostly Thai red long beans. Dried shrimp are soaked, and rinsed, and minced with Szechwan preserved vegetable, along with a little ginger, and it's cooked briefly on high, then the beans are cooked with it for over 2 hours! The beans get very chewy, and the minced seasonings turn to a delicious almost black coating. Not the fastest bean dish to make, but one of my favorites. While it was cooking, I made some Chinese dumplings, with 2 dip sauces.
First cooking of beans for Szechwan dry fried beans. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

After just two minutes of cooking the seasoning mix. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

After cooking 2 hrs. Greens are chewier than the Thai reds. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom