Friday the 13th of October, are you hiding or eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I finally got a chance to cook this. It's the first time I've made it. Veal Piccata. Some flash-fried cauliflower and broccoli on the side.

CD

Attachments

• Veal001.jpg
    Veal001.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 137
Okay, everything changed and the Italian Sausage will have to wait until tomorrow.

I ended up making a mock stroganoff with rice, steamed kale and TB had tomatoes.

We had a rather beige dinner tonight, except for the beets. Slow cooker pork loin and sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, braised cabbage with bacon, and those colorful beets. I could not believe how sweet the cabbage was this time! :yum:

Attachments

• 20171013_232050.jpg
    20171013_232050.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 120
We had a rather beige dinner tonight, except for the beets. Slow cooker pork loin and sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, braised cabbage with bacon, and those colorful beets. I could not believe how sweet the cabbage was this time! :yum:

That made me smile... How many times have I looked at my plate and thought, "Where the hell is the color?" :ermm: :LOL:

Ross

Dinner last night was chicken cutlet (dredged in seasoned flour and pan fried in butter), green beans and cheesy potatoes (with baby Bella mushrooms, onions, butter, cream and white cheddar).

chicken_cheese_potatoes_101317_P1100283.JPG

Yes, I was born in NJ, and eat pork roll. I moved to Texas in 1974. Not sure what the point is. :question:

CD
Just guessing here - Probably because everyone (including the menus in restaurants and menu boards on food trucks et al) in NJ call it Taylor Ham no matter the brand (Taylor (no 's) or Trenton) not pork roll.

Last edited:
Just guessing here - Probably because everyone (including the menus in restaurants and menu boards on food trucks et al) in NJ call it Taylor Ham no matter the brand (Taylor (no 's) or Trenton) not pork roll.

Okay, let's settle this. :LOL: North Jersey calls it Taylor Ham, South Jersey calls it Pork Roll. I've provided citations...

The results of our great pork roll vs. Taylor ham battle divide N.J. | NJ.com

Pork roll or Taylor ham? Rutgers tries to finally settle N.J.'s great debate | NJ.com

What is Taylor Ham or Taylor Pork Roll? | Jersey Pork Roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTt3deBkXos

It is amazing how seriously the Pork Roll vs Taylor Ham debate is taken, and yes, I'm guilty of it, too.

CD

Lol.

Taylor ham.Period.

Even folks from Rowan U. call it that now. (not Glassboro state. I have several relatives the alum of such).

So are you from the proud Republic of Texas, or the
cultural oligarchy of NJ?

Lol.

Taylor ham.Period.

Even folks from Rowan U. call it that now. (not Glassboro state. I have several relatives the alum of such).

So are you from the proud Republic of Texas, or the
cultural oligarchy of NJ?

I was born in Glassboro, NJ, home of Rowan University. My elementary school is now Rowan University's Alumni Center. My Uncle (father's brother) and his wife are graduates of Glassboro State, as it used to be known.

I lived in Pittsburgh and Cincinnati briefly before moving to Port Arthur, Texas. I think of Port Arthur as my second "hometown," because I spent my high school years there, where I made lifelong friends. I went to college in the Dallas area, and kind of got anchored here.

So, I consider myself "from" both NJ and SE Texas. SE Texas is more cajun than Texan, culturally, so the Republic of Texas vibe is not as dominant. Like North and South NJ, Texas is very regional -- there are four or five very distinct regions with differing cultural environments -- and foods.

BTW, when I talk about pork roll vs Taylor ham, it is always with a smile on my face. Most people in Jersey see it as a "fun" debate. But, I'm sure there have been a few fist fights, especially after copious amounts of alcohol. :LOL:

CD

That may be the answer right there. BT and I are from North Jersey.

Yup! People in North Jersey are more NYC focused, while people in South Jersey are more Philadelphia focused.

In South Jersey, we eat Hoagies, like they do in Philly, while people in North Jersey eat Subs, like they do in NYC. Same basic sandwich, different names.

Tastykakes are Tastykakes, all over NJ. Yum! :)

CD

OK, then. With respect and a smile, it's Taylor ham, lol.

And don't mess with Texas. :)

Actually, I really do respect Texans for that spirit of regional independence. It's what America is really all about.

Yup! People in North Jersey are more NYC focused, while people in South Jersey are more Philadelphia focused.

In South Jersey, we eat Hoagies, like they do in Philly, while people in North Jersey eat Subs, like they do in NYC. Same basic sandwich, different names.

Tastykakes are Tastykakes, all over NJ. Yum! :)

CD
I eat a Hero.

Back
Top Bottom