Friday's Kitchen Effort -12/3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Shrimp with Cocktail Sauce, Breaded Pollock Filet, Shrimp 'n Cheddar Mac , Peas & Pearls....

Shrimp Cocktail 12-3-21.jpg

Breaded Pollack Filet, Shrimp n Cheddar Mac .jpg

Very mild and unseasonable weather here today...about 70F.

Decided to make an entree my children loved when growing up. Don't know where I got the recipe and did a 'net search for it and couldn't find it.

Any way, we're having Mrs. Schneider's Giant Meatballs with a side of mashed potatoes. Homemade blueberry pie with whipped cream for dessert. Good go.

Here's the meatball recipe if anyone is interested:

MRS. SCHNEIDER’S GIANT MEATBALLS AND GRAVY
(Serves 6)

Meatballs:
1½ lbs. ground beef
1 cup homemade breadcrumbs
1 medium onion, minced
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup milk (about)
2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening

Gravy:
½ lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 cup strained beef stock or broth
1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
½ tsp. oregano
½ tsp. basil
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to
taste

Combine beef, onion, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic, and add enough milk to moisten – no more than ½ cup. Mix thoroughly and with wet hands form into meatballs about the size of an orange. Brown in 2 tablespoons shortening, turning to color on all sides. Remove and pour off grease, but leave brown bits in pan.

Next, to make gravy, melt butter in same pan and sauté mushrooms. When lightly colored, sprinkle with flour, slowly add beef stock, stirring to scrape up all browned pieces. Add tomato sauce and seasonings. Simmer until thickened. Return meatballs to pan and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove cover and simmer for another 5 minutes, basting several times to coat meatballs.

We ordered pizzas. I got one with no sauce. I wasn't in the mood for pesto as the sauce and that was the only option with no tomato.

Far too busy today to dedicate any quality time to dinner tonight :huh:

IMG_1110.jpg

I went old school simple:
Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips (cut into bite size pieces for Mom)
and assorted veg with dips - Thai Sweet Chili, Honey Mustard and Ranch :yum:

And yes, I'm limiting the disposables. There are times when I'd rather have a dinner plate, it's worth the effort to washup. :LOL:

Ice Cream Sundaes for dessert later ;)

Thanks, taxy. They were both chicken with wild rice, but Himself's can was the creamy version. Not exactly homemade, but acceptable on a non-cooking night.

Cans of Progresso soup. Mama's not feeling well and Pops can't cook - but he can open a can like a champ!

Hope you are feeling better today, CG!

We had bacon wrapped chicken bombs with baked potatoes, peas and cheesy garlic cornbread biscuits. It was yummy and there are a couple more bombs for the freezer too.

IMG_5899 (2).jpg

What are chicken bombs?

I've made them before. They are a bacon wrapped chicken breast that is "stuffed" with a jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese and shredded cheddar. They are yummy! I found the recipe here: https://cakescottage.com/2016/05/26/bacon-bbq-chicken-bombs/

Let me know if you try them. This time, I just made 4 (2 chicken breasts) and I freeze 2. But they freeze well and we went thru the whole lot of 10 pretty quickly.

I've made them before. They are a bacon wrapped chicken breast that is "stuffed" with a jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese and shredded cheddar. They are yummy! I found the recipe here: https://cakescottage.com/2016/05/26/bacon-bbq-chicken-bombs/

Let me know if you try them. This time, I just made 4 (2 chicken breasts) and I freeze 2. But they freeze well and we went thru the whole lot of 10 pretty quickly.

So, it's a lot like an ABT (atomic buffalo turd), but there is a layer of chicken between the jalapeno and the bacon. I might try that with no BBQ sauce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom