Fruits, Nuts, and Desert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
In my little community, I am single-handedly having some success in making 'savory; deserts. As in a very expensive pear, some wonderful nuts, and a locally-made great port. The people who live around here love cheese, and they are loving this concept for desert. Anyone have any ideas as to how to keep this going. Yes, I do occaisionally run into people who don't think it is desert if it doesn't containg (to be honest with you, crappy) chocolate. So I'm goin' to start putting some really good chocs on the side. But what is your favorite cheese to eat with fruit?

Stilton or a really good, very sharp, well matured Cheddar.

In England, we usually have a 'cheese course' AFTER the sweet dessert. The cheese course is accompanied by port and fruit and usually consists of a selection of cheeses and crackers. After the cheese course we have coffee, liqueurs and mint chocolates (like After Eights) to finish the meal :D

Paint.

hmm, cheese to go with fruit. vermont white cheddar (extra sharp), irish cheddar (sharp and creamy), dubliner cheese (a cross between cheddar and parmesan), gouda, goat cheese (the stinkier the better), and brie. i love brie, rolled in almonds, baked to melt the center, and served in a pool of raspberry sauce with whole wheat crackers. or balls of goat cheese, rolled in toasted bread crumbs, slightly warmed, served over a bed of bitter greens, with walnuts, dried cranberries and raisins, with a viniagrette drizzled over top.

I love cheeses with dessert. Here are some ideas.

Grilled polenta with grilled peaches and Gorgonzola
Dates stuffed with Mascarpone
Apricots stuffed with cream cheese and walnuts
Apples and Cheddar or Stilton
Crostini with melted Gorgonzola, pears, and caramelized walnuts/pecans

Sweet Vanilla Polenta
4 c milk
pn Salt
1 Vanilla bean, split lengthwise
OR
1 ts Vanilla extract
1 c Finely ground cornmeal
1/2 c Sugar
1/2 c Mascarpone cheese
Mascerated strawberries

1.Combine the milk, salt, and vanilla bean halves in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Slowly add the cornmeal, stirring constantly, and cook, continuing to stir for 5-7 minutes. 2.Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar ; allow polenta to sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
3.Remove tha vanilla beans halves. Divide the polenta between dessert dishes. Spoon Mascarpone cheese amd mascerated strawberries in the center of each serving.

Brie with Blueberry Chutney
1 wheel of Brie cheese
Blueberry Chutney:
1 c Blueberries
2 tb Onions, chopped
1 tb Fresh Ginger Root, grated
1/4 c Brown Sugar, packed
2 tb Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 tb Corn Starch
1 ts Salt
1 Cinnamon Stick

1.Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil 1 minute. Remove cinnamon stick. Cover and refrigerate 30-45 minutes.
2.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake brie on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes, or until soft. Place brie on a serving plate, and top with the cold chutney. Serve with a crackers or dried fruit crisps.

Good thread,, claire. I love cheese and fruit together. I grew up having a big slice of cheddar cheese with hot apple pie. Brie is my favorite with pears or apples; cheddar with apples; havarti would go with any fruit; gouda and apples; cannot think of any cheese for citris. Love honeydew with prochuitto and lime.

EDIT forgot the gorgonzola which woudl be great with pears or apples.

Guess I'm doing OK, because my desert platter now has blue of some sort (I try them all), havarti for the milder, and then whatever cheese happens to be living in my house at the time. For fruit I usually have apples or pears, grapes if they're in season. As I said, we have a great local port, and some walnuts or pecans. You guys are great!!!!

Back
Top Bottom