Gas or Electric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OnlineCooking

Washing Up
I'm sure this has been discussed before and I'm sure it will be debated almost as much as the coals or gas for grilling debate.

Just wondering what people prefer and why. I personally love gas, I find I have control over everything whereas electric takes too long to heat up or cool down. What's your opinion?

I like gas for the same reasons. If it's on, it's on...if it's off, it's off. I can char/roast jalapeños over a gas burner with no trouble. It's just what I'm used to. If, for some reason, I was found with an electric stove, I'd deal with it though. I just like a gas stove better.

I've had both gas and electric and I have to answer "yes" to both, but I'll explain.

When we moved into this house, the kitchen had an electric stand-alone stove. It was one level above a campfire and I never liked electric burners so, when we replaced it, we put in a gas cooktop and an electric oven.

Gas for the reasons already stated, especially the part kitchenelf mentioned about roasting peppers, but I prefer an oven to be electric.

Interesting how many oldtimers migrated from castiron wood/coal cookstoves to gas stoves. Having used all three, and because there are some similarities between the heat situation on a wood/coal cookstove and an electric, I'm comfortable using electric.

I do like cooking over a wood burning stove, I like campfires for the same reason. MY bachlor party, well it was a bachlor cabin trip, no strippers, was somewhere on the Appliacian Trail. At anyrate, I cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner on one of those stoves and loved it. I still prefer my gas stove. Interesting about the electric over though. Aren't most convection ovens electric?

Gas anyday!, I did the electric thing for over 2 decades (gas was ilegal in a highrise tower block).
Gas is Far more responsive and gives a better surface contact (how can it not, it`s Fire!).

I have a gas stove...gas hot water heater, and gas fired central heat.

When I was without (electrical) power many days during Katrina I had no problem having hot water, and with a simple strike of match the stove was nice to have. So for those reasons, and the others mentioned I like gas.

That being said, If I ever replace my stove, like Miss Katie, I would give serious consideration to an electric oven with gas burners.

I have only cooked on gas in out RV, and electric at home. Like the electric - can simmer easier on it. No smell of gas either.

Where I live, even if gas sucked, which it doesn't, I would prefer it to electricity simply because of the cost.

I love my gas range and much prefer it to any electric stove I've ever used. I'm convinced that the higher humidity in the gas oven makes my bread so much better, as well. The only problem I have with gas is cooking rice - because I have a ceiling fan going all the time, I can't get the flame low enough to cook rice well without it blowing out. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Totally gas! It has much better heat distribution and of course there's nothing like roasted peppers.

Besides, being in the energy business I can tell you that electric stoves are much more expensive and they'll only get worse. I currently have an electric stove, but I find that I prefer to use my portable propane BBQ more often than not.

kitchenelf said:
I can char/roast jalapeños over a gas burner with no trouble. It's just what I'm used to.
I have electric but would prefer gas. I remember someone saying peppers couldn't be charred over an electric burner. I do it by propping a toaster oven rack about an inch above the burner set to high. Gas would be easier though.

Electric radiant sucks. No control, slow response, expensive charges. Gas - great stuff, prices are going up for fuel but at least you can *see* what is happening on your stove top. My question: Why don't you consider induction??? Cheap (uh, after the pots, pans, and cooktop charges of course), excellent control, great results. Induction is the future. My wife and I have our next house build planned to contain two separate stations under range hoods, a four burner gas, and a four burner induction. No radiant - not needed.

Have had both. As far as the oven goes, I really don't care all that much.

We were both were used to gas as kids and had it for the first two years we were married.

For the next twenty some odd years we only had electric and learned to deal with it.

Now we have propane and prefer it to electric. But can deal with either.

I prefer the control of gas, but you learn to deal with what you have.

And the wok cannot really be effectively used over electric burners.

So although gas is my preference, electric is just fine.

To me it is not the toys the cook has, it is the abilities and experience. The toys are lagniappe.

MexicoKaren said:
I love my gas range and much prefer it to any electric stove I've ever used. I'm convinced that the higher humidity in the gas oven makes my bread so much better, as well. The only problem I have with gas is cooking rice - because I have a ceiling fan going all the time, I can't get the flame low enough to cook rice well without it blowing out. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rice cooker!

MexicoKaren said:

Can't you turn off the fan while you're cooking?

I just went back to gas last month. I had the ceramic cooktop and missed the gas. Because of the great advice I gleaned at this website, I bought a Wolf dual fuel range, so the cooktop is gas and the oven is electric. In fact, I just came home from this wonderful class that Wolf puts on periodically. I was treated to a gourmet meal by their chefs as they demonstrated the various cooking devices including the countertop steamer, French top cooker, char broiler, convection, etc. They are a great company and thanks to everyone who recommended Wolf on this website.

Thanks for the suggestions - I think a rice cooker is the answer. Finding one here may be a challenge. Turning off the fan is, of course, an option, but this time of year, the house quickly becomes uninhabitable with the fans off!

Back
Top Bottom