Greasy Spoons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a roommate who lived on jalapeno sliders and Aftershock (the booze.) He had a hard time figuring out why he couldn't keep a girlfriend.

Okay, so time has evolved us all slightly from the 50's to 70's...

In the 30's, the "greasy spoon" diners were home to the "Blue Plate Specials" and women were NOT allowed...

Whereas marketing has entered, and reading through this thread, I cannot imagine anyything different from a "'greasy spoon" cafe's grill from what you might find in a Mickie Dee's grill, and yet Mickie Dee's got their ten billionth customer...

And some "greasy spoons" were "Mom and Pop" operations, and, frankly, not terribly bad at turning out some dinners...travelling trough a ton of small towns, I "get" to eat at many (just as long as they accept VISA or AMEX!) and while the state of the produce is less than you find in cities (understandibly so!) its "forgiveable"...and the meat is as good as you are going to find within an hour's drive...remember, we are talking "towns" with a population of about 500 souls...

Don't expect "fine chefs" here, but do accept some pretty great local cooking...in Kapuskasing, for example, you can eat at the Casey's Road House, and get the "standardised fare", but an hour west in "Urst" (french pronounciation! "Hearst"...) you get the "Companion" motor hotel who can serve stuff that could kick butt in downtown Toronto, at a price that would make you stare at the menu!!! And Toronto is a "good eating city" on par with NYC!

Anyways...

Lifter

Not around me. Well not cheap. A darn hotdog costs around $1.90 with no fries. :( Heck theres one place that charges $2.50 with fries, it really isnt that good. There are many places around here that rip you off for just JUNK food! :?
But there is a great place called Hunan Palace that has a LOT of food that is top quality for 4.50 WITH tax! :) Every day I get BBQ pork with water chestnuts and peapods and friend rice. I always request no salt, no MSG, and extra spicy. ;)
1.gif

we have 2- same name and owner, though. the fries and gravy are soooo good. idives, but good lunch food. always packed.

Juliev said:
Does your town/city have a "greasy spoon" restaurant? The kind that you can go in and get a burger for 2 bucks. There is one in Jamestown called AJ's..... 3 hot dogs for $2-something, and that includes fries.

Hey Juliev, is your cute little mousey running to or from the restaurant? :LOL:

There are a couple here, but not for $2 burgers unless it is a fast food chain. But there is one I really love, Glenwood, one is on campus (UofO) and the other another part of town. Burger and fries $4.95, Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon and hollandase and hash browns $6.95; yogurt and fruit $3.50. Wish there was one here that I used to go to when driving around the states years ago. Love those little back woods places.

When I was a cook at a local spoon, the nastiest thing I had to cook was liver. Huge frozen slabs of sliced livers tossed on the grill with butter and onions! Scraping the cooked blood off was just gross. They were most popular with the senior citizens and no offense to anyone who likes liver and onions but it is NOT pleasant to cook.

DampCharcoal said:
When I was a cook at a local spoon, the nastiest thing I had to cook was liver. Huge frozen slabs of sliced livers tossed on the grill with butter and onions! Scraping the cooked blood off was just gross. They were most popular with the senior citizens and no offense to anyone who likes liver and onions but it is NOT pleasant to cook.

not very pleasant to smell either. The only time I ate liver, and it had to be calves liver, was the 9 months I was pregnant with my daughter. I craved it, had for dinner 4-5 times a week always with mashed potatoes, peas, and grilled onions. My husband and my favorite restaurant (3*** one) put it on the menu just for me, and when others liked it they left it on when my daugher was born. Have not eaten it since and she is 26. However I do love chopped liver at a deli or rumaki.

Back
Top Bottom