great foodie show on pbs!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i was flipping channels last night and caught an episode of "american masters" on pbs about alice waters, the chef/owner of chez panisse.
it is an excellent show, especially if you are a foodie...

they used to have some good shows on PBS on Saturday mornings. I loved to snuggle up and watch a couple hours worth. Now, there are children's shows on really late, til almost noon (which isn't bad). "Two Fat Ladies" used to be on and another with Jaques Perrin (sp?).. lol.. I probably got his name wrong all together.

lol.. I'm thinking of the worcestershire sauce with Perin... maybe his last name was Pappin or Peppin or Pappan... ughhh..something like that.

one of my new favorites on PBS is Joanne Weir's Cooking in the City!
here's a link to her web site where you can find out when the show is on in your area! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Joanne Weir's Cooking in the City

here's one of her recipes (there are more on the website)

secpix_reci.jpg

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

This is one of those dishes that I have to order every single time I go to Chinatown and see them on the menu. I love the crunch of the lettuce, the saltiness of the soy sauce, and the sweetness of the oyster sauce. You can substitute turkey, pork, or squab with equally delicious results.

2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 pound ground dark meat chicken
8 scallions, white and green parts, minced
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2/3 cup water chestnuts, chopped
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1 large head butter lettuce, leaves separated

Warm the oil in a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, scallions, and cornstarch and cook, stirring constantly, until the chicken is cooked and broken into pieces, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the water chestnuts, soy sauce, ginger, and oyster sauce and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.

To serve, take 1 lettuce leaf at a time and spoon a heaping tablespoon of the chicken mixture into the center. Wrap the lettuce around the filling. Serve.

Serves 6

Good Luck!

ya know, that's kinda funny. i've not been shy of alcohol my whole life, to say the least, but i don't think i've ever gotten hiccups from it. if i eat raw carrots too fast, then i will definitely get them, but never from beer, wine, shots, or mixed drinks. hmmmmmmmm....

buckytom said:
ya know, that's kinda funny. i've not been shy of alcohol my whole life, to say the least, but i don't think i've ever gotten hiccups from it. if i eat raw carrots too fast, then i will definitely get them, but never from beer, wine, shots, or mixed drinks. hmmmmmmmm....

Yeah, me too.. but I get mine from eating italian sausage or ham... really any pork product.. why is that.. it's weird.

I get hiccups at the drop of a hat! I don't have to drink or eat anything to get them & they last for a couple of hours at the least! It's very painful. Hubby says it's because I'm full of a lot of hot air! Oh & if I get them once, I'll get them 2 or 3 more times throughout the day.

buckytom said:
i was flipping channels last night and caught an episode of "american masters" on pbs about alice waters, the chef/owner of chez panisse.
it is an excellent show, especially if you are a foodie...

Buckytom, I have one of her cookbooks called Chez Panisse, she is amazing. I use some of her recipes frequently.

I saw a couple yesterday afternoon, while getting ready... one was called "Chefs from Napa Valley" and "something Test Kitchen." They were pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom