Great News!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I've been trying to get a few of the recipes that I burned to CD-ROM converted over on this computer. At the time, I couldn't get Word to open the documents on the disc, as it kept saying that the files were corrupt. I was able to open them with Notepad, cut/paste the text and formatting codes over to Word, then format it back to the original. That was a bit of work, as there were extra spaces between all characters, as well as the formatting codes.

On a whim, I ripped all the files and folders from the CD-ROM onto the HDD of my desktop pc. I started the conversion process, when I accidentally managed to double-click on one of the files that I ripped, and IT OPENED! I now have access to all the recipes that I backed up last March. I just have to try and track down the 300 - 400 recipes that I got between March and December of last year.

I have no idea why Word won't open the documents from the disc, but will open the same document once it's on the HDD.

Glad you've found them all.
Are you going to use 300 to 400 recipes between March and Christmas of this year? or do you ( like myself) have a hoard of recipes you enjoy reading but never use? I'm addicted to recipes!!

I wonder if copying them to your desktop allowed error correction to fill in the bits of the files that were missing from the CD, as they degrade over time?

csalt said:
Glad you've found them all.
Are you going to use 300 to 400 recipes between March and Christmas of this year? or do you ( like myself) have a hoard of recipes you enjoy reading but never use? I'm addicted to recipes!!
No, I won't use that many. Yes, like yourself, I like to collect recipes. Since I cook for a living, having a large repetoir of recipes at my fingertips is a good thing.

mad_evo99 said:
I wonder if copying them to your desktop allowed error correction to fill in the bits of the files that were missing from the CD, as they degrade over time?
I'm not sure. I think it's some kind of problem with MS Works, as I've burned a couple CD-ROM's, given those to friends, and they weren't able to open the Word documents. I don't think my friends ripped the documents from the disc to their HDD's. Their computers just kept telling them that the files were corrupt, and left it at that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom