"Halloween Monday" 31st October What Are You Cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kezlehan

Senior Cook
Happy Halloween everyone!

So what's on the menu today?

I'm making a tomato soup for dinner, and making a tomato sauce to use throughout the week. (I swear I'm not obsessed with tomatoes!!!)

I'm going to roast the bones from Sunday's turkey. And then I'm going to try the turkey stew recipe that was posted. But tonight, I'll be eating leftover turkey, cooking the stew during off-peak electricity hours (this commitment to be more conscious of when I use power is getting to be a real PAIN), especially if I have a busy weekend and can't spend it prepping stuff for the week.

Ooo do you mean the spiced turkey stew I posted? If so, please let me know what you think of it!

I'm going to break out the meat slicer and shave the leftover prime rib from Saturday. I will also pick up some sub rolls, Cheese Whiz and saute some onions. So it's Philly Cheesesteak "wit" for me tonight.

Yup--and I found cranberry sauce in the freezer so I can make it true to how you posted it--except I am making stock first.

Excellent! I hope you enjoy it!

I'm going to break out the meat slicer and shave the leftover prime rib from Saturday. I will also pick up some sub rolls, Cheese Whiz and saute some onions. So it's Philly Cheesesteak "wit" for me tonight.

Sounds delicious!

Not really sure what I'll be cooking tonight! Still tired from the weekend. Went to 3 Fall Festivals where the temperature got down to 50. And like every year at winter I freeze, so unfortunately I'm feeling puny.

Maybe throw some BBQ meatballs in the crockpot. And serve with mashed potatoes :)

I have leftovers from last night. So, I'm going to add some vegetables to the meatballs-n-sauce and have it over mashed potatoes..... or I'll have the vegetables on the side.

coming back to add... I might even turn the leftovers into a cottage pie type of thing, by mixing the vegetables with the meatballs/sauce. I'll thicken the sauce by adding a slurry. If it's still not thick enough for a pie, I'll add a few fine breadcrumbs. I've done that before, and the pie turned out great.

Last edited:
Sweet Italian sausage with peppers and onion sandwiches for dinner tonight.
Something quick and easy as I have a pear upside down cake I'm going to make.

Sweet Italian sausage with peppers and onion sandwiches for dinner tonight.
Something quick and easy as I have a pear upside down cake I'm going to make.
That sounds good! mmm
I love pears. I caught a cooking show the other day, "Caprial and John's Kitchen," and they were making some kind of dessert with pears and chocolate. I couldn't stick around long enough to see exactly what it was. It looked goooood, though.

I'll try to get a picture of the cake and post it. The recipe is from either Bon Appetit or Food and Wine (drawing a blank as to which right now), but I'll post the recipe (or a link to it) later.

A meatloaf shaped like a body with a handful of cooked macaroni and some red sauce to resemble guts.

Mac n Cheese dyed red

cauliflower shaped like a brain and dyed yellow/red

carrots shaped like fingers

Well, the barramundi fillet I had planned for yesterday's dinner hadn't thawed in time, so that's what we will have tonight, along with pureed turnips and steamed asparagus.

gateausanglant.jpg

And tonight I will probably do a quiche with squash, goat cheese and bacon... not really halloween but the cake is enough ;)
And I carved my first pumpkin !! yeaaaah my first halloween in the states :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to be a busy night tonight with the trick or treaters so we are just having toasted cheese sandwiches with tomato soup.

I did a bloody cake :D mhuahaha
The recipe is on my blog :)

gateausanglant.jpg

And tonight I will probably do a quiche with squash, goat cheese and bacon... not really halloween but the cake is enough ;)
And I carved my first pumpkin !! yeaaaah my first halloween in the states :)

Looks Awesome! I love the un-even layers.

That sounds good! mmm
I love pears. I caught a cooking show the other day, "Caprial and John's Kitchen," and they were making some kind of dessert with pears and chocolate. I couldn't stick around long enough to see exactly what it was. It looked goooood, though.
I saw that show--it was a pear crisp. You should be able to go to the create.com web site and find the recipe.

homemade pizza made with bread machine crust, canned pizza sauce, local pork sausage, garden onions, green peppers and garlic, and store bought mozz cheese.

Well, I was going to do pulled pork. Didn't have a shoulder roast in the freezer. Then I was going to do monte cristos, no ham. SIGH! I might be down to doing tortellini or some other pasta. I'm not sure whether I'm feeding 2 or 4 tonight. I just know I'd better have SOME real food before I start snacking on the candy!

Back
Top Bottom